Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

Originally Posted by asprilla
ahhh ... that's a shame. All the details are here. Items sent as "freight" do not qualify for the refund...

Cheers for that. Taking my cooker to the airport is out of the question then, and I'd then have to pay excess luggage on it anyway. Damn, they've got you all roads!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if the tax thing can be done retrospectively? I left UK last November.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A couple of (legal) ways to gain some extra money when emigrating

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Does anyone know if the tax thing can be done retrospectively? I left UK last November.
Probably. You might need to talk to a UK based tax accountant.

BB
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that new laptop is worth buying in UK after all.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
You have until end of September this year (if you want them to do the calculations) to file a tax return for TYE Apr 10 - the year that you left. Or you can do the calculations yourself and file by the end of next January.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If you have school age kids then it's worth checking out if you can take advantage of the education refund. If you're eligible then you can basically get your computer half price. You can also get 50% off Internet connections and printer cartridges.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I've just bought a new macbook. Would it be worth handing in the receipt at Heathrow and seeing what they say? I'll be on a one way flight and have a visa!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
If you have school age kids then it's worth checking out if you can take advantage of the education refund. If you're eligible then you can basically get your computer half price. You can also get 50% off Internet connections and printer cartridges.

Thanks ML.

Found this link:

http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au...ult.asp?sid=42
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by xzibit
I've just bought a new macbook. Would it be worth handing in the receipt at Heathrow and seeing what they say? I'll be on a one way flight and have a visa!!
I think the shop has to be on the VAT scheme. They usually fill in another form with your passport number etc...

I have done this before. So I'm not sure how lucky you may be. Phone the shop and ask.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 28th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Would they pass the info on to Australian customs who would tax you over there?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
Would they pass the info on to Australian customs who would tax you over there?
Nope. No way. Big Brother is not that big... just yet.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. No way. Big Brother is not that big... just yet.
You're only allowed to bring in $900 worth of new gear from abroad, so If they found , say a Macbook and it came with the paperwork and was clearly bought in the UK they'd sting you for GST.

This is a great thread. I was at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago and the queue for VAT refunds was HUGE before the check-in. Here I suspect they won't want to see your purchases.

After check-in in the departures area the VAT desk queues were much shorter but I'm betting they will want to see your goods knowing full well that they might be in the hold luggage and thus they won't have to pay out - but that's just me being cynical perhaps?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You're only allowed to bring in $900 worth of new gear from abroad, so If they found , say a Macbook and it came with the paperwork and was clearly bought in the UK they'd sting you for GST.

This is a great thread. I was at Heathrow a couple of weeks ago and the queue for VAT refunds was HUGE before the check-in. Here I suspect they won't want to see your purchases.

After check-in in the departures area the VAT desk queues were much shorter but I'm betting they will want to see your goods knowing full well that they might be in the hold luggage and thus they won't have to pay out - but that's just me being cynical perhaps?
The queues depend on which terminal you're flying from.

When we left the UK we flew Singapore from heathrow T3 and it was as you described - a hole! Fortunately it was just a pair of wedding rings that we were taking so we got the form stamped at the desk after passport control.

I went back to the UK for a week in March last year and flew out of Terminal 4 (before Qantas and BA moved to T3), there was nobody in the queue before passport control. Probably because the VAT refund desk was hard to find.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There was no-one at the line in terminal five either this month.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

the VAT refund stuff is explained at http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

OH wants an eternity ring b4 we leave, be a nice saving if can get VAT back!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.