Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Originally Posted by fish.01
North Lakes is part of Brisbane, Ormeau isn't.
prove it
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
prove it
charming as always have you read post #24 yet? if so I'll carry on from there.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

charming as always have you read post #24 yet? if so I'll carry on from there.
well we could go on all day, and have the same discussion about nearly every major city in the world and still no one could be proved right.

The residents of North Lakes have no say in what happens in Brisbane being outside the 26 wards that make up Brisbane City Council. That's a fact.

The meaning of metropolitan area is poorly defined and can be taken to mean almost anything.

But yes I suppose North Lakes, Beenleigh, Jimboomba and Ipswich can consider themselves part of Brisbane metropolitan area.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia it is actually very well defined. I can understand if it is more ambiguous in the UK with the many joined up towns and villages...

For example, the ABS counts a cities population on the basis of the metropolitian area and the metro area is defined and also has controlled changes. I think Perth recently had a major change which bumped up its population.

So when talking about Melbourne's population we don't say it has 93,000 (MCC) we say 4 million (ie the metro area aka known as the statistical division I believe)

In Brisbane we don't say the population of Brisbane is 1 million (BCC area), we say 2 million because that is the official Brisbane metro boundary and count.

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 13th 2012 at 11:28 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You may as well say that Ipswich is a suburb of Brisbane then....it is closer than many mentioned
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
You may as well say that Ipswich is a suburb of Brisbane then....it is closer than many mentioned
It already is. See post #24
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It already is. See post #24
Then that shows just how ridiculous this whole issue is.

Ipswich is a city in it's own right.....How about the Gold coast? shall we call that Brisbane as well?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Then that shows just how ridiculous this whole issue is.

Ipswich is a city in it's own right.....How about the Gold coast? shall we call that Brisbane as well?
Yes, Ipswich City Council. But all Australian capital cities are amalgams of cities in their own right. That's how it works.

From memory the Gold Coast is counted as a separate city because it is self reliant enough to justify it. They base this on a bunch of things including the flow of people for employment etc.

Blame the boffins but this is how it is done, otherwise Melbourne's population will have to drop back to 93,000

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 13th 2012 at 11:52 am.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:36 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Asprilla I'd love to.
We were actually destined for Melbourne for a job but having sold the house we contacted the company hubby would be working for to say we'd sold and would be starting to make arrangements to get out there and did they have an exact date they'd like hubby to start and they replied saying they'd already given the job they'd said would be his on arrival to someone else - was a bit upset as they could have at least emailed to tell us!

Hubby has two possible positions just South of Brisbane? One at Yatala and one in Richlands, but we don't know if we'll find out before we get out there if he has managed to get one or neither of them :$. Not the best situation to be in really but there you go. Hubby is happy to do any job until he can get a position in his area of work but picking up just any job in the UK isn't easy so not sure about Australia.

With an uncertain job position we really don't want to pay more than about $450 per week for a rental, we have 4 children but don't have a problem with 2 of them sharing at least initially so a 4 bed min would be great, don't want an acreage or anything but enough room for the little two to play in the garden would be good.
I know the potential jobs are south of Brisbane but I'm leaning more to the North, I did look up a few schools in the Gold Coast??? area and was shocked really by the reviews for around half of the schools I looked into with comments like the school having serious bullying problems, and the worst one being that there was problems with knives being taken into school :$ and these would have been fairly good commute if hubby were to get the job in Yatala. He would be working shift work for either so perhaps traffic would be less of a problem. ( I appreciate it's only a handful but they would have been the places we'd be looking at commute wise to Yatala that would be a walk to school for the kids.

I'm not daft I know there can be a few louts even in the nice areas, but we'd prefer to live somewhere that is on the whole, family friendly, good infrastructure, we want to manage with one car if possible so having shops, generally good schools, parks, drs, pharmacy etc all in one area would be ideal.
I quite like the look of the North Lakes area but obviously I need to be realistic hubby wants to avoid an hours commute if he can

Jen
Hi there Jen, well that's definitely given everyone some more to go on. Unfortunately I don't know the south side too well, but there are a few folks on BE living down the gold coast way who I'm sure will be able to help....

Richlands: I've got a friend who works out that way, he lives on the bayside at Manly in a lovely spot. Fair drive to get to work, approx 1hr each way, but a great place to live I reckon. Only reason I'm mentioning this is just so that you don't discount the suburbs on the bayside.

Yatala: wait for further advice from Gold coast based BE resident experts.....
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:38 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

eurghhhhh
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:49 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Hi there Jen, well that's definitely given everyone some more to go on. Unfortunately I don't know the south side too well, but there are a few folks on BE living down the gold coast way who I'm sure will be able to help....

Richlands: I've got a friend who works out that way, he lives on the bayside at Manly in a lovely spot. Fair drive to get to work, approx 1hr each way, but a great place to live I reckon. Only reason I'm mentioning this is just so that you don't discount the suburbs on the bayside.

Yatala: wait for further advice from Gold coast based BE resident experts.....
Thanks Asprilla, last comment wasn't directed at you.

I think if he got a job in Yatala the commute from Bayside wouldn't be too bad. just having had a look at the map. Though I've been told to avoid the school in Mount Cotton :$ - there was me thinking the area looked nice but a couple of people have said the school is terrible :$

It is very hard without having a job to go to isn't it?

Thanks Again
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Thanks Asprilla, last comment wasn't directed at you.

I think if he got a job in Yatala the commute from Bayside wouldn't be too bad. just having had a look at the map. Though I've been told to avoid the school in Mount Cotton :$ - there was me thinking the area looked nice but a couple of people have said the school is terrible :$

It is very hard without having a job to go to isn't it?

Thanks Again
Yatala is also easily commutable from The Gold Coast....at least the Northern part.

Redlands Bay or Victoria Point would also be places worth looking at.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought we were looking at suburbs around North Lakes?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Something like this in Parkinson area possibly:

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...nson-406993231
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...nson-404360497

Or in neighbouring Algester which seems to have a decent primary school:

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ster-406788821

Very easy trip to Richlands + regular bus to city.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Forest Lake is near Richlands. Don't know much about it but has plenty of homes in your budget and is somewhat like North Lakes. Has mixed reviews.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.