Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:18 am

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

I've had my head bitten off a few times on here for referring to areas like North Lakes and Ormeau as being in Brisbane. It's also becoming a nightmare trying to look at areas to rent as you put Brisbane suburbs or even outer suburbs and it's not even bringing up anywhere near far enough out.

People seem quick to snap your head off if you get it wrong but aren't forthcoming with the information needed so that we know ?

So can anyone direct me to a map that shows what the different areas are called that surround Brisbane as I can't seem to find anything clear to follow and to be honest I'm just getting hacked off trying to assume what google wants so it can show me what I want.

Jen
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could someone explain Brisbane for me please

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_East_Queensland should explain the different council boundaries.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, or work on about 30km radius from the CBD. Anything further out doesn't seem to be part of Brisbane for whatever reason.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensanco
I've had my head bitten off a few times on here for referring to areas like North Lakes and Ormeau as being in Brisbane. It's also becoming a nightmare trying to look at areas to rent as you put Brisbane suburbs or even outer suburbs and it's not even bringing up anywhere near far enough out.

People seem quick to snap your head off if you get it wrong but aren't forthcoming with the information needed so that we know ?

So can anyone direct me to a map that shows what the different areas are called that surround Brisbane as I can't seem to find anything clear to follow and to be honest I'm just getting hacked off trying to assume what google wants so it can show me what I want.

Jen
Try searching for Moreton Bay or Redlands, the Council areas to the north and south
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Jen
North Lakes and Ormeau are part of Brisbane the same way Stockport and Macclesfield are part of Manchester.

If you were looking for a house in Manchester would you search in rightmove for Stockport? No.

Ormeau and North Lakes are about the same distance apart as Glasgow and Edinburgh, do you consider them the same city?

You've had your head bitten off because your're being absolutely incorrect in referring to them as Brisbane.

Is that any clearer? I mean god forbid you would have to type more than a couple of words in to realestate.com.au
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Jen
here, torturously hard I think you'd agree, typing brisbane into a search bar. If it's not there it's not "in" brisbane.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in...qld%3b+/list-1
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard.aspx?pid=615
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by bingobob777
North Lakes and Ormeau are part of Brisbane the same way Stockport and Macclesfield are part of Manchester.

If you were looking for a house in Manchester would you search in rightmove for Stockport? No.

Ormeau and North Lakes are about the same distance apart as Glasgow and Edinburgh, do you consider them the same city?

You've had your head bitten off because your're being absolutely incorrect in referring to them as Brisbane.

Is that any clearer? I mean god forbid you would have to type more than a couple of words in to realestate.com.au
An this is why I don't come on here much as you get aggressive smart arse people like you who are just out to bite people's heads off, it must be a strain to know everything like you do!!!

I gave those as examples of places but we are looking at the bigger area surrounding them and yes Sarcy I do know how to type places in to Domain.com.au this actually used to be a nice forum when I started using it a number of years ago until people like you had to bite people's heads off for not typing things as you would or having the time to sit and construct something that the know it alls would accept - god forbid i'm not as good as you, but thank god as well as I would hate to treat people as you have treated me here.

We are looking at areas and I'm obviously stupid to want to find out which the good places are to live out of a particular area, however not having known the names of each area and not finding those names very easy to find out from searching yes we reverted back to saying Brisbane.

Thank you to those on here that have been helpful x
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:17 pm

ok will just put in realestate what are the best suburbs in and around North lakes to live in - yep wow know it all it doesn't bring up what I want.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67
This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_East_Queensland should explain the different council boundaries.
Thanks Kim 67 spot on.

Am now getting somewhere searching for the best suburbs in the areas we're looking to rent, which will hopefully make it easier to narrow down where to look for rentals.

Thanks also to Moneypenny, Pollyanna and Alfresco for having the patience to help and try and understand where I was coming from
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:50 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

An this is why I don't come on here much as you get aggressive smart arse people like you who are just out to bite people's heads off, it must be a strain to know everything like you do!!!

I gave those as examples of places but we are looking at the bigger area surrounding them and yes Sarcy I do know how to type places in to Domain.com.au this actually used to be a nice forum when I started using it a number of years ago until people like you had to bite people's heads off for not typing things as you would or having the time to sit and construct something that the know it alls would accept - god forbid i'm not as good as you, but thank god as well as I would hate to treat people as you have treated me here.

We are looking at areas and I'm obviously stupid to want to find out which the good places are to live out of a particular area, however not having known the names of each area and not finding those names very easy to find out from searching yes we reverted back to saying Brisbane.

Thank you to those on here that have been helpful x
Keep yer chin up and don't let that awful response get under your skin - Good luck - think you're owed an apology.....
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
Keep yer chin up and don't let that awful response get under your skin - Good luck - think you're owed an apology.....
Thank you.

Just we're at that awkward stage where we've sold the house and we're waiting for a completion date which could only be 8 weeks, so trying to find out as much info as poss before things start getting hectic.
I know I don't always explain myself clearly but to err is human I keep being told.

Trying to find out good suburbs to then look at renting in a the search engines only seem to respond if you put the right info in :$
Good schools are important to us but so is an all round good neighbourhood, I realize there's the odd lout everywhere but I mean generally good all round.
I think we're now getting thanks to all the helpful, supportive people.

We're now getting the info we need to help us decide.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kim 67 spot on.

Am now getting somewhere searching for the best suburbs in the areas we're looking to rent, which will hopefully make it easier to narrow down where to look for rentals.

Thanks also to Moneypenny, Pollyanna and Alfresco for having the patience to help and try and understand where I was coming from
Good luck, it's really difficult and stressful trying to work out where to live. My only advice is rent for at least a year or so and really get a feel for the place. Drive around to homes open on weekends in different areas and see what sort of people are looking at the houses.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67
Good luck, it's really difficult and stressful trying to work out where to live. My only advice is rent for at least a year or so and really get a feel for the place. Drive around to homes open on weekends in different areas and see what sort of people are looking at the houses.
Thank you Kim - Our plan is to rent for a few years and then we'll re-evaluate after 4 years
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the problem arises because people insist on calling far flung places part of Brisbane.

Redlands, for instance, is not part of Brisbane but people always refer to it as a suburb of Brisbane...hence the confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.