Costs

Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:36 am
Just Joined

macas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs

Been offered a job in Melbourne. I have been told that when i start the visa process could be there in 3 months time. Wages 46,000 dollars per annum plus overtime. Problem being to achieve this we would have to get a loan to get the family to australia. Does anybody think this is worth getting into debt for taking into consideration cost of living and things seem to be the same as here. Also medical insurence and house renting to pay for. It's a massive decision to make and the move has got to be better for the 2 kids. Current thinking is the economic downturn in UK will only get worse. Where i work just paid off a load of people and there could be more to go if things don't pick, I will probably be in that list. Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks macas.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs

Originally Posted by macas
Been offered a job in Melbourne. I have been told that when i start the visa process could be there in 3 months time. Wages 46,000 dollars per annum plus overtime. Problem being to achieve this we would have to get a loan to get the family to australia. Does anybody think this is worth getting into debt for taking into consideration cost of living and things seem to be the same as here. Also medical insurence and house renting to pay for. It's a massive decision to make and the move has got to be better for the 2 kids. Current thinking is the economic downturn in UK will only get worse. Where i work just paid off a load of people and there could be more to go if things don't pick, I will probably be in that list. Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks macas.

Is this a Permanent or Temporary Visa?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks macas.
$46000 is not a particularly big salary to support a family on.

G
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Temporary then apply for a permanent one when we get there. I read that usually changes once your in work. I was on about that equivlent on 3 shifts in this country. Down to 1 shift now so on less.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary then apply for a permanent one when we get there. I read that usually changes once your in work. I was on about that equivlent on 3 shifts in this country. Down to 1 shift now so on less.
I think in your position I would ask that it is put in writing that a PR visa will be applied for once you get here - say within 6 months. I would also ask that they help you apply for Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) which will boost your wages considerably until you can get assistance from Centrelink.

I am in total agreement with Grayling, $46,000 isn't a lot of money and without either LAFHA or a PR visa which would allow you to at least claim family tax benefit and/or rent assistance then I would tell them to get lost.

Even though things look bad where you are right now, at least you are familiar with things, you can get help from the Governement if needed and you have the support of family if it gets really bad - here you won't have any of that and you will more than likely struggle on that wage.

I don't want to put you off, but you should know that on that wage it will be very hard here.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

How long would a permanent residency visa take once we got there. I will e-mail them those points. That's interesting i would have not known about that. Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:34 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
$46000 is not a particularly big salary to support a family on.

G
agreed. I find myself agreeing with G a fair bit these days, which is disconcerting
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How long would a permanent residency visa take once we got there. I will e-mail them those points. That's interesting i would have not known about that. Thanks.
It depends really. Which one and which skills assessment, both these affect the processing times.

Here's some reading for you on both the 457 and LAFHA.

457's - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

LAFHA - http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/...5?opendocument

Originally Posted by kporte
agreed. I find myself agreeing with G a fair bit these days, which is disconcerting

It is isn't it
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks macas.
When you say you would need a loan to get here, presumably that would be the only money you have.
You will need to pay for accommodation, including a deposit once you find a rental. You'll either have to pay for shipping or pay for new household goods. Even if your kids are in State edcation they will need uniforms, books, money for subs to everything. All the little charges add up - transport, either public or buying a car for instance?
Plus you will be paying off a loan in £s while earning $s - thats a blow to the pocket in itself (I know, I've done it)

$46k isn't a lot for a family anyway, but if you are trying to pay set-up costs as well as normal living costs, you would probably find it very very hard.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 9th 2009 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:06 am
Just Joined

The Children are only 2 and 5 weeks so school stuff is not an option. It is getting harder now th think this is a good idea.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:19 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What vocation are you in?

Be worth thinking about the possibilities outside the sponsoring company. On the basis of what happens should that employer fold/discontinue with your services? Being in Australia with 28 days too get another job or vacate - and how would you then return home?

Plenty of ways to save some money but if you are borrowing to get here too begin with how do you manage once you are here?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

I am a fabricator / welder (Boilermaker)
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:07 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with Polly. $46k isnt a huge salary but obviously with overtime you could probably increase that considerably. My concern though would be having to repay a loan in order to set yoursevles up, aswell as the every day living costs. My husband was on the same salary when we first moved across almost 3 years ago and things were tight thats for sure. When you first arrive you seem to be spending money hand over fist and we were lucky enough to not have any other loan outgoings etc.

Its a tough choice thats for sure! Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Many thanks macas.

Are you going to pay the loan back, I assume you will get the loan in the UK???
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Yes that was the idea of the thread. If we were going to be repaying a loan would we survive. I have asked about a relocation package. And we will not be going down the loan route. I will apply for a permanent residence visa and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.