Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Costco membership worthwhile?

Is Costco membership worthwhile?

Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Costco membership worthwhile?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We went to Costco in Sydney yesterday I really felt a live it was so much better than I can remember it, that's no more shopping at Coles, woolies any other place for us now Costco is here.
How mad were the queues for the car park, tills etc? I've read of near punch ups over spaces and queue jumping on other messageboards.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
How mad were the queues for the car park, tills etc? I've read of near punch ups over spaces and queue jumping on other messageboards.
The queue was very bad but didn't care I've missed that place for so long wasn't going to let a few thousands of people & long hours of queueing stops me shop in there, at the register they had one person emptying your trolly one scanning it & one packing it that's what I call a service we didn't see any punch up though but I think I saw the whole of Sydney there.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

The queue was very bad but didn't care I've missed that place for so long wasn't going to let a few thousands of people & long hours of queueing stops me shop in there, at the register they had one person emptying your trolly one scanning it & one packing it that's what I call a service we didn't see any punch up though but I think I saw the whole of Sydney there.
WE went there, got straight to the entrance queue as we had done membership online...then kept going to the back of the queue...and kept going...and kept going!! lol No, it was not worht it. We left and went for some food. I will go again during the week when it has settled down. I enjoyed Costco in UK but it was good, not THAT good!
Interesting hearing all the different languages in the queue and at the entrances....oh well...thats the Parramatta Rd for you!!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
WE went there, got straight to the entrance queue as we had done membership online...then kept going to the back of the queue...and kept going...and kept going!! lol No, it was not worht it. We left and went for some food. I will go again during the week when it has settled down. I enjoyed Costco in UK but it was good, not THAT good!
Interesting hearing all the different languages in the queue and at the entrances....oh well...thats the Parramatta Rd for you!!
It was better than good for me but will be going there at least once a month, next time I'm going there at 5 pm as they are open till 8:30 on sat, so won't be so busy.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The one in Canberra was very busy, but according to the check out chick it was just like an average Sunday at the Melbourne store. Luckily for us, the Canberra Costco is only serving a population of about 400,000. All in all, it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. They'd brought up lots of staff from Melbourne to help out and even a few from the U.S. They're obviously trying to create a good first impression and they certainly succeeded.

I just LOVE the check out process with big barcodes and staff loading your enormous trolley.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Budawang
The one in Canberra was very busy, but according to the check out chick it was just like an average Sunday at the Melbourne store. Luckily for us, the Canberra Costco is only serving a population of about 400,000. All in all, it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. They'd brought up lots of staff from Melbourne to help out and even a few from the U.S. They're obviously trying to create a good first impression and they certainly succeeded.

I just LOVE the check out process with big barcodes and staff loading your enormous trolley.
It's not surprising that they had to bring staff over all over bet they are just overwhelm with the amount people wanting to shop there, I over heard Costco managers that they were getting low on stock & were waiting for 2 truck load to turn up.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

we were in Melbourne for the weekend, borrowed a friends card.
Bought huge bottles of tabasco sauce for $5.99 ( the small bottles last about 3 weeks in our house) bought a few other items.. wish we'd had more space in the case to bring home a few more bargains!
lets hope one in Qld isn't too far away