Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Costco membership worthwhile?

Is Costco membership worthwhile?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Costco membership worthwhile?

Would pay it , but i dont live near enough to justify it, any competitio for woolies and coles is good, we have aldi, and i shop there as often as i can
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!

Sydney opens this Thu (21st), Canberra the day after.

Am going to give it a miss for a couple of weeks to let the queues die down a bit!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:17 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Costco membership for the one in Melbourne and I find the fresh food can be at times dearer than Coles. I tend to buy all my meat and veg from Queen Vic market as it is certainly a lot cheaper than Costco and quality is as good if not better. Big W is cheaper for Omo washing powder when its on offer and the Aldi toilet roll is cheaper as well. So beware and look at the prices.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laights
I have a Costco membership for the one in Melbourne and I find the fresh food can be at times dearer than Coles. I tend to buy all my meat and veg from Queen Vic market as it is certainly a lot cheaper than Costco and quality is as good if not better. Big W is cheaper for Omo washing powder when its on offer and the Aldi toilet roll is cheaper as well. So beware and look at the prices.
Cheers for that!!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I do not have one and like the previous poster tend to shop around, I buy soap powder from the Reject Shop as I can get about five kilos for $6 and as we do not have dirty clothes these days it does fine.

Also any other cleaning products you can get from NQR and Rejet or any of the other cheap shops around very reasonable prices.

I stick with the Supermarket for veg mainly because I use it as my fridge only buying what I want the day I need it.

Not a fan of doing a huge shop in one place anymore, not cost effective, plus you are stuck with what the shop has on offer.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laights
I'm a fan of Aldi. I know the range is limited, but it's quick and easy once you know what you're looking for. Prices on many products are well below other supermarkets. You can buy NZ beer for $1.20 a bottle.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved to the US I couldn't get my head around having to pay for membership to shop somewhere. After a couple of years we gave in and became Costco members...now it's top of my list of shops. Their take back policy is second to none...at least in the US. I shop at Costco in the US, Canada and UK.

Costco give you an extra 12 months warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty. I have a Costco AMEX card with gives me a further 12 months warranty...a total of 3 years. A few weeks ago my husband's almost 3 year old laptop died...got a refund from AMEX...put $50 to it and bought a new one from Costco with another 3 years warranty.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Do you still have a Canadian Costco card? Mine worked in the Melbourne store. You can go in on a visitors pass and check it out. I wish we were getting one in Townsville, but it won't happen anytime soon here.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We live within 2 miles of the original Cosco store.

The petrol (gas) is cheaper there than anywhere else within at least 15 miles.

The returns policy is excellent - just today I returned a swimsuit that I purchased in March and had worn about 20 times; it was falling apart.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paularn
Do you still have a Canadian Costco card? Mine worked in the Melbourne store. You can go in on a visitors pass and check it out. I wish we were getting one in Townsville, but it won't happen anytime soon here.
Mine is a US card...it can be used in any of their stores worldwide.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from Costco Canberra. WOW. Incredible range of products, some great prices. I even had the obligatory pork hot dog and soda for the princely sum of $2.50. Great range of pre-prepared meals, cheeses, you name it, they've got it. It felt like half of Canberra was there, but check out was quick and efficient. If Coles and Woolies aren't shaking in their boots, they should be.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
We live within 2 miles of the original Cosco store.

The petrol (gas) is cheaper there than anywhere else within at least 15 miles.

The returns policy is excellent - just today I returned a swimsuit that I purchased in March and had worn about 20 times; it was falling apart.
Got any photos?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Costco in Sydney yesterday I really felt a live it was so much better than I can remember it, that's no more shopping at Coles, woolies any other place for us now Costco is here.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We went to Costco in Sydney yesterday I really felt a live it was so much better than I can remember it, that's no more shopping at Coles, woolies any other place for us now Costco is here.
It seems very similar to the ones I've been to in Canada. Many of the same products and similar prices, but with a few local specialities thrown in. We bought some huge oysters and ultra-fresh baby snappers. There's some great looking curries and pizzas if you're looking for a quick dinner.

The contrast with the local Woolies down the road in Dickson, couldn't be starker. The Woolies experience: narrow aisles, crowded, trolleys that slide sideways, pay parking, slow check-out, can't find what you want because they've sold out, a plethora of "specials" with a massive 3 cents discount and some eye-popping prices for some products.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
It seems very similar to the ones I've been to in Canada. Many of the same products and similar prices, but with a few local specialities thrown in. We bought some huge oysters and ultra-fresh baby snappers. There's some great looking curries and pizzas if you're looking for a quick dinner.

The contrast with the local Woolies down the road in Dickson, couldn't be starker. The Woolies experience: narrow aisles, crowded, trolleys that slide sideways, pay parking, slow check-out, can't find what you want because they've sold out, a plethora of "specials" with a massive 3 cents discount and some eye-popping prices for some products.
Oh we've got the oysters too pluse loads of other things god I have no more room left in my fridge freezer & my pantry now. Best $500 I spend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.