Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living and Super

Cost of living and Super

Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of living and Super

I think it just goes to show that, as mentioned, if you're not sure you need to ask. All my roles have been quoted as salary only with super on top. My last role was in a not for profit in the education sector and all other roles were in education in some form or other.

OP, in my old role we worked with a number of Australian unis. Without knowing which unis in Melbourne you're considering it's a little tough to say which is better.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Well, it definitely happens. The last company I worked for administered salaries as a package - i.e. amount inclusive of super. However when the increases to super were announced as part of the mining tax package, they were VERY quick to point out that our salary packages would remain the same and that any increases to super would have to be bourne by our salary component - effectively a reduction in take home pay...

S
You are correct,when the 9.25% comes in on 1 july people on a package will have salaries reduced.Meaning taxable income.

As with NICS in the UK there is also a maximum contribution,from memory around $17000,it gives a maximum wage around $180-185K.Earnings higher than that have no super on them unless agreed with the employer I suppose.

There is also the $25K limit on contributions that fall under the 15% tax regime.

Geordie downunder
Old Apr 27th 2013, 5:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swans
You are correct,when the 9.25% comes in on 1 july people on a package will have salaries reduced.Meaning taxable income.

As with NICS in the UK there is also a maximum contribution,from memory around $17000,it gives a maximum wage around $180-185K.Earnings higher than that have no super on them unless agreed with the employer I suppose.

There is also the $25K limit on contributions that fall under the 15% tax regime.

Geordie downunder

In short they actually make it very difficult to get money into super and of course head towards that magic $1m super target when you retire.

I have just turned 40, and my super balance is looking woeful, so my focus will no longer be on making additional voluntary contributions. I of course do need to find some form of other reasonably high yielding return, but the marginal tax treatment that I keep getting all investments hammered by seems to make my savings money go backwards, or at least perform worse than inflation.

I struggle to understand why the Australian government keeps banging on about how important it is to become a self funded retiree, yet with the other hand make it practically impossible to build the required wealth.

S
Old Apr 28th 2013, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
In short they actually make it very difficult to get money into super and of course head towards that magic $1m super target when you retire.

I have just turned 40, and my super balance is looking woeful, so my focus will no longer be on making additional voluntary contributions. I of course do need to find some form of other reasonably high yielding return, but the marginal tax treatment that I keep getting all investments hammered by seems to make my savings money go backwards, or at least perform worse than inflation.

I struggle to understand why the Australian government keeps banging on about how important it is to become a self funded retiree, yet with the other hand make it practically impossible to build the required wealth.

S
Super was never designed to retire on,it is there to ease the social security budget.Depending on how many pensioners there are then if they are 50% self funded then this is a huge saving for the govt of the day.

Working on todays figures for the age pension, if there were 2 million claimants, then if the pension they received was 15K instead of 30K (married couple) then this is a saving of $30 billion for the govt,not bad at all.

Building a $million outside of super is very easy,and $1 million is nowhere near enough to retire on,and will be less so in 27 yrs time.In 27 yrs time depending on wage inflation then $1 million could be 2-3yrs average wages.Would you feel comfortable if you retired in the morning with around $230,000.Working on 3 yrs average,or around $160,000 on two years.

The taxation system is heavily loaded to investing outside of super,you just need to understand compounding,and the reciprocal,inflation.

geordie downunder
Old Apr 28th 2013, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
All of my jobs - including senior roles in some of the biggest companies in Oz have been priced as including super with no mention of it. When i look at ads in Oz for my work, i generally know it is including super as matter of course - didnt when i first came out and received a bit of a shock. But, i just accept it now.
I just ensure my net banking figure is on the contract ie net of tax and super in terms of weekly, fortnightly monthly.

I also ensure they use landscape when printing