Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living soaring rapidly.

Cost of living soaring rapidly.

Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living soaring rapidly.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I first arrived, 1986, it was 35c litre It's gone up a bit since then

I remember as a kid my Dad hitting the roof when the Petrol went from 17c to 20c a litre....
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:58 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

less than four years ago i was paying 67.9c a litre in brisbane, it's currently around 96.9, that's a 43% increase. funnily enough, in the fours years since i left the uk the petrol price has gone down (or stayed roughly the same)!

Originally Posted by Hels
I remember as a kid my Dad hitting the roof when the Petrol went from 17c to 20c a litre....
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:55 am
Badge

Diesel was 89c a litre in SE Melbourne when I arrived Jan 04. After a while it was 102-107 for quite a while. It went to about 110ish the last time there was an 'oil shock' and there was a lot of debate in the papers- I never paid more than 108.. Then it dropped back to about 102..it has suddenly crept back to 110+ very quickly and the other day I paid 115 (I had not time to source elsewhere). There seems to be less commentary on it this time around maybe because the war in Iraq is "over" even though there is still price inflationary circumstances.

Badge

Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Suggest you do some investment return sensitivity analysis modeling to see what could rock your boat.

For example, change the capital value of the investment from -10% to +10% in increments of 1% to see what effect that has on your total investment returns over the first year. Then assess if the risk adjusted returns are worth it relative to alternative investments.
In this country we call statements like the above, 'pommy bullshit' can I have that in Australian please ?

Particuarly the first Paragraph !

Now there's a challenge. Lets see how clever you really are
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:43 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
In this country we call statements like the above, 'pommy bullshit' can I have that in Australian please ?

Particuarly the first Paragraph !

Now there's a challenge. Lets see how clever you really are
Megs is an Australian.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Megs is an Australian.

Ahh she must be from NSW
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahh she must be from NSW
I've actually just recovered enough to pick myself up of the floor now,

'bLOODY hELL' lol

and it took a dutch girl to tell me,

Dont worry about replying Meg's I'll try and work it out
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh she must be from NSW
And 'it's' a he

Want to guess age category too?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:51 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

and it took a dutch girl to tell me,
And I'm an Aussie citizen (but ok, Dutch too, and born there)
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Simone
And 'it's' a he

Want to guess age category too?

Nope, but I bet he isn't a swinger
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

It's about time we revisited the weekly or fortnightly shopping bill scan, I've not seen that on this forum anywhere yet, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.

So I'd be really pleased if someone can scan their weekley supermarket shopping docket from england, For a family of four, and I will do likewise.

We spend somewhere between 250/350 bucks per week, and that covers everything you can think of and buy exactly what we want, and on lots of occasions will pay heaps for out of season fruit and vegies, just because we want them.
We average about £110 - £120 per week for a family of four. Two adults, one 3 yo and one 6yo.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
We average about £110 - £120 per week for a family of four. Two adults, one 3 yo and one 6yo.
My at home kids are 7 and 11, we have an adult daughter, well 20 that comes and goes and feeds herself. those prices you quote look similar if not cheaper. This is so different to what happened for certaintity, when I left in the 80's when aussie was definitely cheaper.

I'm orf to look at the tesco's website.

I'm incredibly suprised by this. Maybe the common market/eec was a good move after all.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only area, I can see, on tesco's and I'm sure there are cheaper shops than tescos, that aussie is definitely cheaper, would be Lamb and Steak, the rest, (whats a polybag ??? a Kilo I assume or thereabouts) are about the same.

I'm writing to my MP LOL
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:07 pm
Merlot

The only area, I can see, on tesco's and I'm sure there are cheaper shops than tescos, that aussie is definitely cheaper, would be Lamb and Steak, the rest, (whats a polybag ??? a Kilo I assume or thereabouts) are about the same.

I'm writing to my MP LOL
There is Lido, Aldi, etc but Tesco's seems to be the most "popular" or convenient for most in the UK.

Interesting to see finding!!!

M

Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Merlot
There is Lido, Aldi, etc but Tesco's seems to be the most "popular" or convenient for most in the UK.

Interesting to see finding!!!

M

I'm pretty damned confused about this to tell you the truth Merlot. You've lived here, what do you think ?

Try Coles on line, and see how it compares

http://157.155.162.27/

There does not seem to be a lot in it to me,

here are a few post codes for registering.... 3041 3042 3058 etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.