Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living soaring rapidly.

Cost of living soaring rapidly.

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of living soaring rapidly.

Just as costy here in perth........but pay is lower. Loaf of bread is $1.99.

Just nipped to woolies, to pick up a 'few' bits. Total cost $70.00. All that I got was milk, bread dog food, a few laundry items, batteries and air fresheners.
Prices are getting ridiculous!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Most times I've had bake at home bread, it's tasted about as good as Home brewed beer.

IE: Crap

Is the bread Helgas ?

A bad workman always blames his tools and all that.

I make homemade bread and its way nicer than any bread that can be bought in the shops, and fresher of course. i also make home brew, some of it nicer than others, some can taste a bit cidery, but all perfectly good falling over juice.

And it save heaps of money, it works out about $0.25 a pint.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Just as costy here in perth........but pay is lower. Loaf of bread is $1.99.

Just nipped to woolies, to pick up a 'few' bits. Total cost $70.00. All that I got was milk, bread dog food, a few laundry items, batteries and air fresheners.
Prices are getting ridiculous!!

Down in melbourne, the supermarkets called safeway but its woolworth owned, coles ownes bi-lo, 2 food giants have a monopoly on the whole country no wonder they get away with it.

The items I listed at the beginning of the thread are all rising australia wide not just our tiny area, medical insurance, interest rates, food, rates, airline taxes, etc. Petrol is actually a bit cheaper in QLD, its got a 10c a litre subsidy for some reason.

Interesting poll on sky news this morning 79% of australians now think the country cant afford to keep financially helping our immediate asian neighbours in the tsnuami/earthquake crisis. Bit different from 3 months ago.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Down in melbourne, the supermarkets called safeway but its woolworth owned, coles ownes bi-lo, 2 food giants have a monopoly on the whole country no wonder they get away with it.

The items I listed at the beginning of the thread are all rising australia wide not just our tiny area, medical insurance, interest rates, food, rates, airline taxes, etc. Petrol is actually a bit cheaper in QLD, its got a 10c a litre subsidy for some reason.

Interesting poll on sky news this morning 79% of australians now think the country cant afford to keep financially helping our immediate asian neighbours in the tsnuami/earthquake crisis. Bit different from 3 months ago.

It's about time we revisited the weekly or fortnightly shopping bill scan, I've not seen that on this forum anywhere yet, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.

So I'd be really pleased if someone can scan their weekley supermarket shopping docket from england, For a family of four, and I will do likewise.

We spend somewhere between 250/350 bucks per week, and that covers everything you can think of and buy exactly what we want, and on lots of occasions will pay heaps for out of season fruit and vegies, just because we want them.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Helga's or that other similar one I get for $2.50, always. It's officially 3 something, but in Action, at least one of the two is always on special for $2.50.

I mostly pay around 98c for petrol, last couple of weeks it's been 102(though I see 107 in a lot of places). But last year it was this high for a few weeks too, and then went back to 92/96/98 again....
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:19 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I used to deal with buyers from Woolies & Coles, sweet Mother did they think they were higher than a God!!!! Awful people and yes this is not a good monopoly.

M

Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

What the Australian Food and Grocery Council have to say about Food Prices.

Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The boom was over at least 2 years ago, maybe more, in Melbourne at least, The rest I see at long term gain.

Although I hope this isn't the same as the 30 year recession, if it is that, that occured in the early 1800's in europe.
Suggest you do some investment return sensitivity analysis modeling to see what could rock your boat.

For example, change the capital value of the investment from -10% to +10% in increments of 1% to see what effect that has on your total investment returns over the first year. Then assess if the risk adjusted returns are worth it relative to alternative investments.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mr mover
So i guess the Breadmaker ,will make its way back to the bench top, were it held pride of place in the late 90,s, we always have quiet "snigger" when we see all these labour saving devices, stored away in the backs of cupboards, juicers, egg codlers, fat free grills, popcorn makers, ice shavers ,sand wich makers,hotdog makers ,etc ......i guess we are all guilty of this??? what about the Exercise equipment gathering dust in the garage.?? ........ mm
You've been in my house haven't you

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:35 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You've been in my house haven't you
the best thing about living 50 mins from Melbourne is you can get to most jobs - eventually. Also we have that semi-rural 'paradise' lifestyle that people want, but we are not divorced from life in a beachy back water.

People have to really think about where they work.

Badge

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Simone
I mostly pay around 98c for petrol, last couple of weeks it's been 102(though I see 107 in a lot of places). But last year it was this high for a few weeks too, and then went back to 92/96/98 again....
I've still not hit the $1 mark when buying petrol, its been getting closer though I think 98.5 has been my highest so far, but I only buy once a week, and aim for Wednesdays when it's the cheapest in my area

For plain white bread we currently buy "Buttercup" at 89c a loaf.
With the Helga's bread, it's the same in our area, one of the supermarkets will always have it on special

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Petrol is over the $1 in Sydney and at the weekend closer to $1.10 .
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Petrol is over the $1 in Sydney and at the weekend closer to $1.10 .
Same as here in our bit of Mellie. When we got here it was about 89cents P/L
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:15 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've still not hit the $1 mark when buying petrol, its been getting closer though I think 98.5 has been my highest so far, but I only buy once a week, and aim for Wednesdays when it's the cheapest in my area
Yep, I buy usually wednesday or thursday too, if possible. And at the Woolworths place near my work, and even though I don't even have the 4c off, it's still cheaper than most other petrol stations closer to my house.

Haven't got a clue what normal white bread costs, never buy it...
Saturday afternoon(after 4) I get buns and scones for $1 off at Action. Buns usally end up around 1.50 for 6 buns, and 6 scons about $2
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
When we got here it was about 89cents P/L
When I first arrived, 1986, it was 35c litre It's gone up a bit since then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.