Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Oz

Cost of living in Oz

Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Oz

Originally Posted by fish.01
Exchange rates mean nothing when comparing. Totally pointless. Personal purchasing power (% of salary something costs in both countries) is the best measure but of course the BE estimate kicks in because some people don't have a job yet in Australia so just want a general country wide estimate of PPP as a whole.
But many people know what they earn in the UK and what sort of salary they might get.

It goes without saying, exchange rates are still highly valuable for people who derive any sort of income from the UK, or bring over capital.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But many people know what they earn in the UK and what sort of salary they might get.

It goes without saying, exchange rates are still highly valuable for people who derive any sort of income from the UK, or bring over capital.
Of course if you have personal figures, use them. For general comparisons, and for people without personal figures the broader numbers are better than nothing. They offer a quick guide to whether your new salary is at all comparable to your current salary, for example.

Yes, my comment about exchange rates being totally useless is re comparing costs/salaries. Naturally converting assets or pensions paid in another country are affected by the rate of exchange.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that Australia is a high wage economy for average people.

Minimum wage here for adult is au $15.96 per hour. Don't actually know of anyone earning that little.

UK minimum for adult wage uk pound 6.19 @ 1.5 = au $9.20 Don't know if that is common or not.

Centrelink is also very generous so if you have kids a low Aussie wage is not much of an obstacle to a decent life.

We have pretty average incomes and don't even get centrelink so you would have to be going some not to survive in this nanny state.

Last edited by neil248; Mar 15th 2013 at 11:31 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:15 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Mr Happy's back!
Just couldn't sit back and idly let someone contemplate coming here thinking its the land that glitters gold. My electricity bill for last year was nearly 3000 dollars. My Uk electric never came close to that and my house was always warm. Ive never lived in such a cold house here that is way too hot in summer and unless I use copious amounts of electricity to heat/cool the house its almost unbearable.

Then there is the ever present cry on here of 'go to Oz for a better family life' what a croc, you can have a great life with your kids in the UK if you make time for them, moving here doesn't suddenly make you a better parent.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Just couldn't sit back and idly let someone contemplate coming here thinking its the land that glitters gold. My electricity bill for last year was nearly 3000 dollars. My Uk electric never came close to that and my house was always warm. Ive never lived in such a cold house here that is way too hot in summer and unless I use copious amounts of electricity to heat/cool the house its almost unbearable.

Then there is the ever present cry on here of 'go to Oz for a better family life' what a croc, you can have a great life with your kids in the UK if you make time for them, moving here doesn't suddenly make you a better parent.
3000 bucks, what the hell are you doing!
As for moving here, it's up to the individuals, some people enjoy the lifestyle but noone can be held responsible when it doesn't work out and they're not equipped for it.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:58 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
3000 bucks, what the hell are you doing!
As for moving here, it's up to the individuals, some people enjoy the lifestyle but noone can be held responsible when it doesn't work out and they're not equipped for it.
Oh you know, things like turning lights on, cooking, heating, cooling,tv, computers etc. if electric goes up anymore it will be time to get out the candles! Ive already smashed my head into a door frame because I was trying to keep the lights switched off, nearly broke my toe walking into the bed posts, its like I've been electrically taxed back into the tone age!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh you know, things like turning lights on, cooking, heating, cooling,tv, computers etc. if electric goes up anymore it will be time to get out the candles! Ive already smashed my head into a door frame because I was trying to keep the lights switched off, nearly broke my toe walking into the bed posts, its like I've been electrically taxed back into the tone age!
Just to back up one of the other old posters on here, making a surprise comeback, my bill was MORE than $3000. I pay $155 a fortnight !!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

$118 per fortnight electricity.

Don't know if Arkon has been back to the UK lately but was certainly more downbeat when we went compared to sunny QLD

Last edited by neil248; Mar 15th 2013 at 11:38 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:54 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by neil248
$118 per fortnight electricity.

Don't know if Arkon has been back to the UK lately but was certainly more downbeat when we went compared to sunny QLD
Yes I went back 12 months ago and loved it. Everyone was moaning though but a trip to tesco soon proved they had nothing really to moan about. Good choice and very cheap. I used the opportunity to eat a few ton of chocolate and crisps.
Plenty of walks in beautiful green countryside too. If I could I would return in an instant and never look back.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 1:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Life's too short to live in anger and be unhappy like you do

Chill dude
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Grass is always greener, so they say....
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I am learning something on this MBA!
So,you know how to pee when your man has left the seat up?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 8:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Its all very subjective, the weather for instance is 'better' for everyone in Australia. Im not that bothered by the cold but sweat like a pig in the heat but having said the only place I would live in Australia is Brisbane with its high humidity. The cost of living in Australia rose dramatically in the last 8 to 10 years, there is no escaping that fact. We are finding things generally cheaper here, most food much cheaper with far more range but that is just a bonus.
Another poster mentioned the minimum wage, when you use a sensible exchange rate there is little difference and many people survive on it in both countries, it should arguably be higher but thats the way it is. Some people earn more in Australia, others earn more in the UK and the remainder earn about the same. Comparisons are really hard to make. Australia wont magically give anyone a better life, its not a better place to bring up kids and there are most of the same problems the rest of the world has. Australia can be a great place to live for many but not for others. Nowhere is one size fits all.
Each country has huge advantages over the other so in the end it just comes down to whichever suits you more.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The electricity co. pays us since we went solar.

OP - Have you looked to see if you will be eligible for a visa? Have a look at the Immigration forum.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you have kids with you now? A wife?

Our bill was always 400 a quarter - maybe 600, once 700 in winter and we don't have gas. It's now about 350 a year with solar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.