try saying your from bosnia etc maybe they will then LoL
bit harsh but true
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Glenn210277 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by Glenn210277
bit harsh but true
it basically means if i was a immigrant and didn't work and stuff i would get loads including a house suspect that is what they mean
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

autra will become famous soon enoughautra will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
This is not correct. Woolworths in Oz is more like OK Bazaars in South Africa (only maybe slightly more upmarket now). We were in Melbourne in December visiting my sister-in-law and she said there is nothing like M&S but you just adapt to whatever is around you. Target over in Oz reminded me of BHS here in the UK. We were in Melbourne and my sister-in-law lived right near Southlands shopping centre which I thought was fabulous - much like Eastgate in South Africa.

It can be argued that UK is a far more developed country with people demanding more and more materialistically which is why it is the never-ending ratrace. If you are prepared to go without some things materialistically you will adapt far better.

We lived in South Africa for 21 years and you cannot even compare the lifestyle there to the one in Australia. The cultures are completely different. Only the weather is similar and I suppose the outdoor lifestyle to a degree. The sense of security and safety in Australia is far higher. It is a very relaxed environment (IMHO and also according to my sister-in-law), but I would say that materialistically speaking you are not going to find what you are hoping for, not initially anyway. There have been other threads on this and it is a known fact that when you move countries, you always take a step backwards.

What I think would be wise is to ask yourself why you are moving to Australia because it is not the UK with the sun. Most people accept that financially they won't be better off, but are after the more relaxed lifestyle and being able to enjoy life a lot more than the weather here affords you here in the UK. I don't think the majority of people are hoping for more materialistically, if anything, they want less - a more simple life.

You need to do as much research as possible - get in touch with recruitment agencies, potential employers and such in the area you need to live to guage what your earning capacity might be, then look at the money you will be taking over and what housing you can afford. You need to remember that you pay for medical stuff there (even on medicare) and that schooling (state) is payable as well (each school differs, but the one we are sending our children to is about $200 a year, plus all stationery, books, uniform, excursions and camps). We have factored in private insurance, car insurance and life insurance. We have looked at the cost of gas, water and electricity. The key is do as much research as possible and then decide if you can adapt to the reductiion in finances, if there are any.

Hope that helps

Sarah
hi thanks for the reply lived in bromhoff just outside randburgh, children went to ranpark ridge so we are use to paying for school and health care came back due to crime, as you now once you have been somewere else hard to settle back in u,k, life loved east gate mall husband worked in eden vale,
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by possoms
What is that comment supposed to mean?
tax credit.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

it basically means if i was a immigrant and didn't work and stuff i would get loads including a house suspect that is what they mean

I take it you and Autra wont be wanting to claim any family benefits then when you arrive in Aus as you will then be immigrants so therefore obviously don't deserve it
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Equivalent to M & S is David Jones!
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Errr, I think you'll find that's the point of the "Take it Outside" forum, so people can let off steam and post what they want.

There was also no need to start a whole new thread about the cost of living, a simple search of the forum would have produced several threads, one of which was running last week if I remember correctly.
What was there to "let off steam" about??
Talk about over-reacting.....

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

mmm though I suspect the people who fled the atrocites of Bosnia cant afford 2 hols a year, live in a 4 bed detached, drive expensive cars, buy a new outfit a week and eat out once a week.

with this ammount of money can you afford to take care of your own children
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Glenn210277 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I take it you and Autra wont be wanting to claim any family benefits then when you arrive in Aus as you will then be immigrants so therefore obviously don't deserve it
that was a misinturpted comment i said i belive that is what see meant and i intend being able to be self efficient and you can't get benefits for 2 years if i have read right.didn't mean any offence
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

that is totaly right we will work for everything we get, and we might as well be an immigrant in some one elses country as to be one in ours.
and as you are awear you can not claim in oz for 2 yrs may be we should do that here
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by autra
that is totaly right we will work for everything we get, and we might as well be an immigrant in some one elses country as to be one in ours.
and as you are awear you can not claim in oz for 2 yrs may be we should do that here
Actually even in the first two years, as a PR, you can claim child related benefits, including FTB (Child Benefit)

Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

that was a misinturpted comment i said i belive that is what see meant and i intend being able to be self efficient and you can't get benefits for 2 years if i have read right.didn't mean any offence
Ok, sorry No offence taken.

Tracey
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Ok, sorry No offence taken.

Tracey
none at all meant just my oppinion does not mean it has to be everyones, lets face it the world a very small place now and every body is every were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.