cost of living

Old Jul 10th 2005, 5:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You can always take the odd trip to Fiji, Vanuatu or places like that.

eg: Vanuatu, Includes return airfare & 7 nights accommodation. ...7 nights from $869.

These are very common holiday areas for Australians.
This is a very good point - it's fine to say that it costs so much to go to the UK to holiday, but I doubt many from the UK would be holidaying in Australia twice a year either.

You need to compare apples with apples.

Lots of aussies go overseas every year - to say that very few travel o/s is a lot of rubbish.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 5:44 am
ABCDiamond

I just read an article in todays paper, that made me think of this thread.

The quote was:

"I have seen a single person on an income of $170,000 have nothing in the bank at the end of the year, while a family of four on a combined income of $60,000 save $10,000 per year.

The difference is lifestyle"
"

Old Jul 10th 2005, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

It's "In the heart of Melanesia, with Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands to the north, Fiji to the east and New Caledonia to the southeast"

Have a look at http://www.tourismvanuatu.com/

So many new places to visit down under

Thanks, shall have a look at that later.

Tracey
Old Jul 10th 2005, 7:00 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I think Myers is the Aussie equivalent of John Lewis/Debenhams. There are other big department stores too. I don't think they have anything the equivalent to M&S food court though, not that I have seen anyway, but then I haven't been shopping in all of the department stores, only Myers.

HTH
Katie
FWIW, I would say that Myer is the Debenhams equivalent, while David Jones (if you have it in your city) is the John Lewis, so a bit classier (& more expensive!). Both the main branches of these stores in Melbourne have really excellent food halls . The clothes in both are fine, lots of choice, and range from quite reasonably priced, to very swish designer stuff (the sales here are very good for picking up bargains in the latter).

At the cheap & cheerful end, you can buy the same quality/price clothing as one would buy in Tescos in K-Mart & Target. However, there is definitely a gap in the market on that 'middle ground' where M&S would be in the UK.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:38 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pootle
There was no need to start a whole other thread about this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=313009&pp=15

I don't think the op was boasting. She obviously has a decent lifestyle and is rightly concerned about what will happen in Oz. She was merely asking for information. As I say to the kids "If you can't contribute something useful - keep quiet"

Errr, I think you'll find that's the point of the "Take it Outside" forum, so people can let off steam and post what they want.

There was also no need to start a whole new thread about the cost of living, a simple search of the forum would have produced several threads, one of which was running last week if I remember correctly.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

autra will become famous soon enoughautra will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bridiej
Errr, I think you'll find that's the point of the "Take it Outside" forum, so people can let off steam and post what they want.

There was also no need to start a whole new thread about the cost of living, a simple search of the forum would have produced several threads, one of which was running last week if I remember correctly.
well i just wonted answer to how i live in the uk andcompare to aus most have sent verry helpfull replies, if people were asking about lifestyle in uk i would tell them and help them too , and say providing you work 60hrs + a week you will cope but if you work 9-5 in a shop etc then you wont ok
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:50 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=cost+living
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
FWIW, I would say that Myer is the Debenhams equivalent, while David Jones (if you have it in your city) is the John Lewis, so a bit classier (& more expensive!). Both the main branches of these stores in Melbourne have really excellent food halls . The clothes in both are fine, lots of choice, and range from quite reasonably priced, to very swish designer stuff (the sales here are very good for picking up bargains in the latter).

At the cheap & cheerful end, you can buy the same quality/price clothing as one would buy in Tescos in K-Mart & Target. However, there is definitely a gap in the market on that 'middle ground' where M&S would be in the UK.

Cheers,
Anya.
Good post Anya, tried to give you karma but it wouldnt let me .
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:55 am
Merlot

By working hard, etc. etc, it can eventually be done, but not easily, as you won't have the years of local experience that you currently have.

A lot of people who come here begin to relax, reduce their working time, and choose to enjoy the facilities available.

But, those that want to maintain high living etc, are more likely to want to return to the UK, unless they are lucky to land on their feet very quickly, as some actually do.

When I was in the UK I earned well, but I chose to give it up for a relaxed lifestyle. In my personal situation I realised that I couldn't have both.

I could have stayed in the UK and been much better off, but working all hours; or here, with less material things, but more time for life.

It all depends on what we are looking for.
For example, on a Wages Poll of Expats earning over $1,250pw, 83% were happy with their standard of living on that, but 17% were not happy. That shows that we all have different expectations.
Could not agree more with this, we done the coming back to the UK bit after 7 years for me and 17 for hubby in Oz. If it wasn't for the kind help of family and friends financially we would be REALLY struggling in the UK.

It has not been plain sailing coming back, we have had to start everything from scratch - something you will have to do in Australia. It takes time, you don't walk off the plane a duplicate every aspect of your life in the UK over in Oz, be it material objects, friends, etc. You have to build up contacts and experience all over again.

You really have to soul search what is right for you - if you love the material things in life, I would highly recommend you stay in the UK as they are all bloody money or labels mad here.

Personally, I miss the laid back attitude of Australia and the less "gotta have it" outlook.

Your choice, best of luck with it.

M

Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Merlot
Could not agree more with this, we done the coming back to the UK bit after 7 years for me and 17 for hubby in Oz. If it wasn't for the kind help of family and friends financially we would be REALLY struggling in the UK.

It has not been plain sailing coming back, we have had to start everything from scratch - something you will have to do in Australia. It takes time, you don't walk off the plane a duplicate every aspect of your life in the UK over in Oz, be it material objects, friends, etc. You have to build up contacts and experience all over again.

You really have to soul search what is right for you - if you love the material things in life, I would highly recommend you stay in the UK as they are all bloody money or labels mad here.

Personally, I miss the laid back attitude of Australia and the less "gotta have it" outlook.

Your choice, best of luck with it.

M
thankyou
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Glenn210277 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by autra
sorry dont recive them you have to be on 30000 or less
yeah right we earn less than 30 and we get nothing
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenn210277
I thought everybody who had children got tax credits. It replaced the child tax allowance. Those on a high income get about £500 a year don't they?

Tracey
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Poolguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i have 18yr old that will follow next yr she will have just hopefully passed her aats in accounts she hopes to find work in melborne, and no my 10yr old would still wont her mobile but she wiil just have to learn to look after her old one, i am sure swimming pool will have more pull to her.
Did I read that your are thinking to move to Adelaide????

I presume that you are in the South of England at the moment.

Well let me tell you, that unless you are addicted to wine then you will find the city of Churches a bore. Especially the people.

Its unbearably hot in Summer sometimes 40+ its quite cold in winter bleak but no snow. and then there is the desert..... 1000's of klms of it in every direction.

Mercy in heaven there are nice place to live in Oz than that. If you fancy the facts rather than someones opinion I suggest you take one of your yearly holidays and visit Oz and then you will know.

Incidentally how will you get on with an immigration visa.. or is that already granted?

Poolguy
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by Glenn210277
try saying your from bosnia etc maybe they will then LoL
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

hi yes woolworths will be M&S then its like south africa they are not alowed to trade under the u.k. names , my 10yr old is looking foward to it, whot job did your sister get and how long did it take her
This is not correct. Woolworths in Oz is more like OK Bazaars in South Africa (only maybe slightly more upmarket now). We were in Melbourne in December visiting my sister-in-law and she said there is nothing like M&S but you just adapt to whatever is around you. Target over in Oz reminded me of BHS here in the UK. We were in Melbourne and my sister-in-law lived right near Southlands shopping centre which I thought was fabulous - much like Eastgate in South Africa.

It can be argued that UK is a far more developed country with people demanding more and more materialistically which is why it is the never-ending ratrace. If you are prepared to go without some things materialistically you will adapt far better.

We lived in South Africa for 21 years and you cannot even compare the lifestyle there to the one in Australia. The cultures are completely different. Only the weather is similar and I suppose the outdoor lifestyle to a degree. The sense of security and safety in Australia is far higher. It is a very relaxed environment (IMHO and also according to my sister-in-law), but I would say that materialistically speaking you are not going to find what you are hoping for, not initially anyway. There have been other threads on this and it is a known fact that when you move countries, you always take a step backwards.

What I think would be wise is to ask yourself why you are moving to Australia because it is not the UK with the sun. Most people accept that financially they won't be better off, but are after the more relaxed lifestyle and being able to enjoy life a lot more than the weather here affords you here in the UK. I don't think the majority of people are hoping for more materialistically, if anything, they want less - a more simple life.

You need to do as much research as possible - get in touch with recruitment agencies, potential employers and such in the area you need to live to guage what your earning capacity might be, then look at the money you will be taking over and what housing you can afford. You need to remember that you pay for medical stuff there (even on medicare) and that schooling (state) is payable as well (each school differs, but the one we are sending our children to is about $200 a year, plus all stationery, books, uniform, excursions and camps). We have factored in private insurance, car insurance and life insurance. We have looked at the cost of gas, water and electricity. The key is do as much research as possible and then decide if you can adapt to the reductiion in finances, if there are any.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.