Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of living?!

cost of living?!

Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:51 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough
Smile cost of living?!

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much per month rental is for somewhere decent in sydney, melbourne, perth or cairns?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: cost of living?!

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much per month rental is for somewhere decent in sydney, melbourne, perth or cairns?
I think people will need more information on what you call decent. For me a one bed city centre apartment would be decent, for others a 3 bed house on the coast within 10 miles of the centre would be decent.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:06 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Not on your list but for me and the wife (no kids) to rent somewhere half decent in the centre of Brisbane looks likely to be approx. $350 per week (£583 per month). This is for a one or two bed apartment (unfurnished).

If we move half an hour out we can pick up a furnished townhouse (2 or 3 bed) for around $230 per week (£383 per month).

Depends what you want. If you are young and on your own then a one bed city centre apartment or studio could be as cheap as $160 per week (in Brisbane).

I'll leave it to others to tell you what the other cities are likely to be.

p.s. the above is based on internet research not first hand experience.

Last edited by samnrob2; Mar 10th 2005 at 3:38 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:06 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by spottydog
I think people will need more information on what you call decent. For me a one bed city centre apartment would be decent, for others a 3 bed house on the coast within 10 miles of the centre would be decent.

sorry not very specific i know. Either one bed place (appartment) or house share (young professionals), i'm going alone i think so don't really need house until i am ready to buy.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:15 pm

Talking Re: cost of living?!

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Not on your list but for me and the wife (no kids) to rent somewhere half decent in the centre of Brisbane looks likely to be approx. £350 per week (£583 per month). This is for a one or two bed apartment (unfurnished).

If we move half an hour out we can pick up a furnished townhouse (2 or 3 bed) for around $230 per week (£383 per month).

Depends what you want. If you are young and on your own then a one bed city centre apartment or studio could be as cheap as $160 per week (in Brisbane).

I'll leave it to others to tell you what the other cities are likely to be.

p.s. the above is based on internet research not first hand experience.

Thanks that gives me a bit of an idea!! Questions are coming think and fast so be warned! i'm on a bit of a research roll!!! thanks for your help
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:28 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Not on your list but for me and the wife (no kids) to rent somewhere half decent in the centre of Brisbane looks likely to be approx. £350 per week (£583 per month). This is for a one or two bed apartment (unfurnished)......
Don't you mean $350 per week?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:32 pm

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Hi there,

We've been researching Perth where we are going this May, and so far a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom can be rented for around $160pw in some of the northern suburbs near Joondalup (Heathridge, Mullaloo, Beldon, Quinns Rocks...). About £265 a month.

Not there yet so can't comment on whether these properties or 'burbs are holes or not.

Have a look at http://www.realestate.com.au.

Cheers Paul
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Hi there,

We've been researching Perth where we are going this May, and so far a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom can be rented for around $160pw in some of the northern suburbs near Joondalup (Heathridge, Mullaloo, Beldon, Quinns Rocks...). About £265 a month.

Not there yet so can't comment on whether these properties or 'burbs are holes or not.

Have a look at http://www.realestate.com.au.

Cheers Paul

Thanks for that, just in the early research stage, not able to leave dreary old uk for a while yet!! have one for me when you get there
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:39 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Don't you mean $350 per week?
Don't know what you mean

The joy of the 'edit' button
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:20 pm

Thanks for that, just in the early research stage, not able to leave dreary old uk for a while yet!! have one for me when you get there
Hey thanks Hayley.

All the best with your research.

Paul
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:21 pm

Don't know what you mean

The joy of the 'edit' button
Saved me a few times that one.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

This link http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=ren allows you to search for rental properties all over Australia, or

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=shr for share accommodation all over Australia