Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we give Melbourne a go?????

Should we give Melbourne a go?????

Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:18 pm
Merlot

Talking Should we give Melbourne a go?????

OK, been moving around the map of Australia with a view of where to settle on our return.

The pluses seem to come up for Melbourne now, more that other places for various reasons. Our original pull was Queensland but the appeal of all those lovely things to do in Melbourne!!!

Now the question to those that know the area, I know hubby & I would be fine for work in the city, temp or otherwise.

Suburbs - which ones are the recommended for mid 30's couple, no kids. We do like quiet but nothing too Stepford Wives, been there on NSW Central Coast. To be able to hop in the car to see a movie, go to the theatre, walk along a beach or be in the hills would be fab.

I guess home rentals a big question - $250/300 per week would be the start? Any ideas of nicer suburbs for a 12 month stop???

Any thoughts and pointers appreciated.

Merlot

Old Mar 5th 2005, 6:18 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we give Melbourne a go?????

Originally Posted by Merlot
OK, been moving around the map of Australia with a view of where to settle on our return.

The pluses seem to come up for Melbourne now, more that other places for various reasons. Our original pull was Queensland but the appeal of all those lovely things to do in Melbourne!!!

Now the question to those that know the area, I know hubby & I would be fine for work in the city, temp or otherwise.

Suburbs - which ones are the recommended for mid 30's couple, no kids. We do like quiet but nothing too Stepford Wives, been there on NSW Central Coast. To be able to hop in the car to see a movie, go to the theatre, walk along a beach or be in the hills would be fab.

I guess home rentals a big question - $250/300 per week would be the start? Any ideas of nicer suburbs for a 12 month stop???

Merlot
Having only been there for a holiday, but knowing a couple of people from out that way I might suggest: Kew, Carlton, Toorak, Albert Park (yes its near Albert Park where the F1 race is held ) , Prahran or St Kilda. Bear in mind though that St. Kilda in part is sleazy and dirty but the other side of it is getting more than quite respectable (trendy) thesedays.

Melbourne certainly has a more temperate climate compared to Queensland (especially humidity wise), and it is a lively city. Not sure how friendly the locals are, but then it often takes a bit of sussing out once you arrive to find a niche that suits you.

Good luck with it all anyway
Old Mar 5th 2005, 6:26 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Merlot
Forgot to include this link to rental properties around OZ so you can keep an eye on things and email agents etc.

http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au...p&t=ren&cu=MSN

Cheers
Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:46 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Forgot to include this link to rental properties around OZ so you can keep an eye on things and email agents etc.

http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au...p&t=ren&cu=MSN

Cheers
Thanks so much for your help.

Merlot

Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:52 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Merlot
Hi Merlot

I have been thinking that more and more, I am tied here at the mo as you know but have been avidly reading posts regarding homesickness etc etc and have come to the conclution that not as many people in Melbourne seem to suffer with homesickness in comparison to other places, especialy the hotter more humid places. Maybe it is down to the climate and similarity to the UK of Melbourne,

I'm definately goin to try there next.

Kala
Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:58 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merlot,

we are in our late 20's, no kids, and we live in Aspendale, right on the beach. We have a 3 bed town house for $280 per week, its lovely here, close enough to shops, and cinemas, vets and everything you need really, but nice and quiet too, the beach is lovely and we get a fab sunset here!

When we were deciding where to live, we narrowed it down to anywhere between Morrabinn and Chelsea, as all nice, especaliiy Mordialloc and Mentone.....hope this helps.

laura
x
Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:04 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Hi Merlot

I have been thinking that more and more, I am tied here at the mo as you know but have been avidly reading posts regarding homesickness etc etc and have come to the conclution that not as many people in Melbourne seem to suffer with homesickness in comparison to other places, especialy the hotter more humid places. Maybe it is down to the climate and similarity to the UK of Melbourne,

I'm definately goin to try there next.

Kala

Hi Kala

Lovely to hear from you, yep this is what we have concluded.

We lived in Sydney for first 4 years we were together and we did enjoy the variety but EXPENSIVE!!! We moved up to the NSW Central Coast and that was really the beginning of the end for us. It wasn't the place we wanted to be, found it very souless but if you are family orientated it is fabulous. So after 3 years returned to the UK to spend time with my family.

Melbourne has all the pluses as I said, lots of places to see, museums, theatres then shops and LOTS of lovely foodie spots. From what I gather it has lovely beaches and surrounding bush. It is the mix I think we need to be more settled in Australia and yes most of the those "Melbourne" expat folks seem to have settled better.

Think the changable climate is a pull in a silly way as when we sweated it out in NSW, VIC used to get changes in temp from 40 to 19 overnight, we were very envious!!! LOL!!!

I have distant cousins in Hamilton, Vic (Originally from Middlesbrough), £10 POMS. I have visited them in 1992 and they drove me all over VIC at the time. I was very impressed with it all, the Ocean Road was fab.

I think more research but it certainly is pulling us that way.

Good luck

Merlot

Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:11 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here in Melly, its better than I expected. I think that We will probably stay here for 1-2 years, but eventually go to Perth.

Even though I think its great here, I still prefer Perth, because its cheaper, hotter and my lovely auntie is there!

Its so strange cos Some nights its been so hot that I havent slept, but I was very cold last night, and we dont have any central heating in the house, so Im headin off to Kmart tomorrow to invest in some fluffy slippers and a warmer quilt cover!!!!

laura
x
Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:11 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi Merlot,

we are in our late 20's, no kids, and we live in Aspendale, right on the beach. We have a 3 bed town house for $280 per week, its lovely here, close enough to shops, and cinemas, vets and everything you need really, but nice and quiet too, the beach is lovely and we get a fab sunset here!

When we were deciding where to live, we narrowed it down to anywhere between Morrabinn and Chelsea, as all nice, especaliiy Mordialloc and Mentone.....hope this helps.

laura
x
Many thanks
M x

Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:17 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hi Kala

Lovely to hear from you, yep this is what we have concluded.

We lived in Sydney for first 4 years we were together and we did enjoy the variety but EXPENSIVE!!! We moved up to the NSW Central Coast and that was really the beginning of the end for us. It wasn't the place we wanted to be, found it very souless but if you are family orientated it is fabulous. So after 3 years returned to the UK to spend time with my family.

Melbourne has all the pluses as I said, lots of places to see, museums, theatres then shops and LOTS of lovely foodie spots. From what I gather it has lovely beaches and surrounding bush. It is the mix I think we need to be more settled in Australia and yes most of the those "Melbourne" expat folks seem to have settled better.

Think the changable climate is a pull in a silly way as when we sweated it out in NSW, VIC used to get changes in temp from 40 to 19 overnight, we were very envious!!! LOL!!!

I have distant cousins in Hamilton, Vic (Originally from Middlesbrough), £10 POMS. I have visited them in 1992 and they drove me all over VIC at the time. I was very impressed with it all, the Ocean Road was fab.

I think more research but it certainly is pulling us that way.

Good luck

Merlot
I have 10 pound POM rellies in Melbourne aswell they are out at Park Orchards, Box Hill and round that area.

Park Orchards is lovely up in some hills somewhere all very green and lush even in Summer, whereas here is brown, dry and dusty.

I love the City, it has everything and but to me doesn't feel like London, The public transport is good, I love St Kilda as it feels like Brighton (UK) and I love the surounding countryside as it reminds me of the south downs. Thinking about it, I come from Half between London and Brighton so no wonder Melbourne feels homely, It has all the things I liked about the UK

As you say needs a lot of research. I only wish I'd thought more about locations before moving over and not just gone for the easy option on where Ant is from.

Kala
Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:21 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I have 10 pound POM rellies in Melbourne aswell they are out at Park Orchards, Box Hill and round that area.

Park Orchards is lovely up in some hills somewhere all very green and lush even in Summer, whereas here is brown, dry and dusty.

I love the City, it has everything and but to me doesn't feel like London, The public transport is good, I love St Kilda as it feels like Brighton (UK) and I love the surounding countryside as it reminds me of the south downs. Thinking about it, I come from Half between London and Brighton so no wonder Melbourne feels homely, It has all the things I liked about the UK

As you say needs a lot of research. I only wish I'd thought more about locations before moving over and not just gone for the easy option on where Ant is from.

Kala
Same with me, hubby lived in Sydney at the time so settled there but it is never too late to change, I think ABCDiamond said he moved from Sydney to QLD and is a much happier bod!

At least it gives us some focus for moving forward and a "new" start, with the advantages of having the little stuff like bank accounts, medicare, etc all ready to go.

M

Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:21 am
aussie73

People on the forum have said Melbourne is the place most like the UK in OZ.
It does get very cold in winter. There are plenty of great places outside Melbourne such as the Great Ocean road, Grampians and the snowy mountains and ski fields to the west.

Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:22 am

Karla,

You are in Perth arent you, do you not like Perth?

Do you have family there aswell?

laura
x
Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:25 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by aussie73
People on the forum have said Melbourne is the place most like the UK in OZ.
It does get very cold in winter. There are plenty of great places outside Melbourne such as the Great Ocean road, Grampians and the snowy mountains and ski fields to the west.
Oh I loved the Grampians, forgot about them.

I think the climate is a help, the variety aspect of it. As much as most of us want to escape the dark winter nights of the UK, we like the change.

M

Old Mar 6th 2005, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Merlot, from what I've seen of you on here, You are made for Inner city Fitzroy, Fantastic well kept victorian houses, classy, close proximity to the city, You'll be pushing the provirbial uphill though to get a place at 250 -350 aud, Its your place, if this cap fits. ..... Fitzroy would have to be the Renault and Citreon owning capitol of Aussie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.