Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of keeping unoccupied land in Australia

Cost of keeping unoccupied land in Australia

Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of keeping unoccupied land in Australia

If I was to buy a plot of land in Queensland as a future investment then does anyone know what annual charges I am liable for ? Let's say I bought a couple of hectares with town water and an electricity supply but just left it empty for five years or so. I assume I have to pay some form of land tax and rates but could anyone point me to a web page that would enable me to work these out and any other charges that I might incur.

I assume that there is also a duty to keep it in relatively good order and not to let it become a tinder box etc.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I've heard stories of people buying really cheap land ($10k for example) but then basically giving it away because the charges made it not worthwhile.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Here is the link for Brisbane city Council
They seem to work on the land value not the property value, so vacant land would attract the same rate as one with a house on it. If the land is classed residential you pay the same rates wether it's developed or not.

I'm a bit unsure about this myself.