Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost & choice of electrical goods in Aus

Cost & choice of electrical goods in Aus

Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost & choice of electrical goods in Aus

Be ready to barter and bring your frontloaders with you!

If you have them - bring your dishwashers and Dyson vacuum cleaners too!
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:19 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Our Dyson is good, but the head-unit (special one for picking up dog hairs) is crap. Sounds like pebbles in a blender.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

This is really SAD - I know, but I found my Dyson to be so good that when I found out the cost of them in Oz.....I bought another one (used it a couple of times, so it didn't look brand new). So I've got TWO

(Wish I'd bought a cheap dishwasher too)!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Quick & Dirty comparison

Originally Posted by Stormz
Compared in the UK to www.ebuyer.com .
Compared with http://www.pluscorp.com.au/ .
Always going for the cheapest item.
All converted into $`s for your convenience ( http://www.xe.com/ucc/ ).

ITEM AUS UK
17" TFT $349 $348
160gb IDE HD $132 $124
AMD Athlon64 3200 (retail) $293 $295
DVD Burner dual layer (16x internal) $90 $87
Socket 754 M/B (Abit/PC-Chips) $136 $97
512mb PC3200 DDR RAM $138 $80
similar decent PC case with PSU $123 $78
Epson Stylus C65 $139 $108 (for C66)

Bear in mind the UK prices will be a little more as the currency converter is at the bank rates.

PlusCorp seem to have a `labour charge` which is (hopefully) weird. Is this normal? It seems to be at least $25. So you have to pay a labour charge on top of paying for the goods which they make profit on. Hopefully you can say that`s not normal.
Your memory price seems a bit high ?
I can get it for:
512MB PC-3200 (400MHz) DDR RAM - $79.00 (I'm just about to put 2 sticks into my machine)
and
EPSON STYLUS COLOUR C65 INKJET,17(B)/ 9(C)ppm- $115.00

Is the labour charge you mentioned for assembling computer components ?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your memory price seems a bit high ?
I can get it for:
512MB PC-3200 (400MHz) DDR RAM - $79.00 (I'm just about to put 2 sticks into my machine)
and
EPSON STYLUS COLOUR C65 INKJET,17(B)/ 9(C)ppm- $115.00

Is the labour charge you mentioned for assembling computer components ?
Depends on the timings and latency of the RAM. I paid $300 for a matching pair of Corsair 512MB C2 RAM. That was in december. It is good to buy RAM in matching pairs so you can run it in dual channel (on supported boards). The RAM I got does well in the benchmarking.

I would go for a socket 939 rather than a 754 as that should leave your system upgradeable to dual core processors. I believe AMD will be discontinuing socket 754. Make sure the drives are SATA HDDs as IDE drives will slowly become obsolete. I got myself one of the ASUS nforce 4 mobos which are cheaper in the UK. The Asus via board with PCI Express is also good. Pluscorp are negotiable.

I find the UK either matches or is cheaper on computer parts and there is a wider choice. This is especially apparent on more obscure and newer parts.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
Depends on the timings and latency of the RAM. I paid $300 for a matching pair of Corsair 512MB C2 RAM. That was in december. It is good to buy RAM in matching pairs so you can run it in dual channel (on supported boards). The RAM I got does well in the benchmarking.

I would go for a socket 939 rather than a 754 as that should leave your system upgradeable to dual core processors. I believe AMD will be discontinuing socket 754. Make sure the drives are SATA HDDs as IDE drives will slowly become obsolete. I got myself one of the ASUS nforce 4 mobos which are cheaper in the UK. The Asus via board with PCI Express is also good. Pluscorp are negotiable.

I find the UK either matches or is cheaper on computer parts and there is a wider choice. This is especially apparent on more obscure and newer parts.
Stormz did say "Always going for the cheapest item." so I looked up the cheapest on my site too

Talking about the AMD board, I have just been told that AMD's run very hot, and can melt the cooling fan casing ! Have you heard anything ?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:07 am

Stormz did say "Always going for the cheapest item." so I looked up the cheapest on my site too

Talking about the AMD board, I have just been told that AMD's run very hot, and can melt the cooling fan casing ! Have you heard anything ?
Both the AMDs and intels run very hot. Intel Prescotts have been nicknamed Presshots. Athlons used to run hotter than pentiums but that is no longer the case. If you use cool & quiet on an AMD the chip will slow itself down to save energy and emit less heat when not in use. Making sure a case has a decent exhaust is a most for both chips. I find AMDs generally better value for money but not by a large margin. Intels are better at multi tasking, AMD 64s for gaming.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:30 am

Couldn't find the Enermax noisetaker PSU (495) that I bought in the UK on www.staticice.com.au .

In the old days when the Aussie dollar had the value of a rupee Oz parts would have seemed cheaper.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
Both the AMDs and intels run very hot. Intel Prescotts have been nicknamed Presshots. Athlons used to run hotter than pentiums but that is no longer the case. If you use cool & quiet on an AMD the chip will slow itself down to save energy and emit less heat when not in use. Making sure a case has a decent exhaust is a most for both chips. I find AMDs generally better value for money but not by a large margin. Intels are better at multi tasking, AMD 64s for gaming.
I see.., so having 4-8 spreadsheets open at one time, 2 or 3 chat forums, a couple of google searchs, and updating my own website at the same time, it sounds like I should stick with Intel ?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:54 am

I see.., so having 4-8 spreadsheets open at one time, 2 or 3 chat forums, a couple of google searchs, and updating my own website at the same time, it sounds like I should stick with Intel ?
Should be fine on an AMD with that. When I say multitasking I mean using a few of applications that use 100% CPU eg ripping movies, zipping files and heavy number crunching. The main time you would notice is switching between apps.

A basic Athlon XP could handle what you are talking about. Pentiums do get better benchmarks on the office apps but we are only talking a few percent.

The main reason I got the Athlon 64 is that XP 64bit will be out soon. Intel is well behind the game on 64 bit.

On self builds I found the Intel MOBOs more expensive and DDR2 RAM also costs more and the RAM had dubious performance advantages. Not sure now. I am also talking about a $2000 system (without keyboard mouse or monitor).
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fi Equipment is cheaper out of England, especially on the british made stuff which is obviously understandable. Like Mission and Wharfdale speakers. Got to admit I havn't fully looked into amp's to go with these from britain, I suspect they would be cheaper in England though.

Mission make the best speakers in their price range by miles, so looking for comparsions is a fruitless task.