Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Childcare

Cost of Childcare

Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:05 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cost of Childcare

Originally Posted by deedee_b
Was asking for a friend. I dont have any children. But it does seem very costly, $200+ a week.
If you have to pay without any rebates, then yes, I agree. But most people that we know get rebates.

Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you have to pay without any rebates, then yes, I agree. But most people that we know get rebates.
My friend was thinking to start babysitting and wanted to know what sort of costs child care centres are so that she could offer comparitive rates.

How much would you expect to pay for babysitting per hour?

Would it be wrong to charge more during the day when the children are more active than at night when they would be asleep?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:21 am
ABCDiamond

My friend was thinking to start babysitting and wanted to know what sort of costs child care centres are so that she could offer comparitive rates.

Would it be wrong to charge more during the day when the children are more active than at night when they would be asleep?
Looking at the rates some people are paying, I'm considering doing the same

Here some info for you:
Rates vary according to your experience, your qualifications and the duties required. In general, rates range between $10-12/hr (few responsibilities for sitters at night) to $15-20/hr (for experienced nannies during the day).

Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Looking at the rates some people are paying, I'm considering doing the same
It seems like a really good idea. Thank you for the information.

I care for a friends two little girls every so often, so that she can go out and catch up on grocery shopping etc, but she pays in wine!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:44 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
This is an informative thread. We won't be entitled to any help and I was worrying that the fees would be expensive however, we currently pay £37 per day (for everything) for our Son so it isn't as scarey as I thought!
In the Oz economy, that is expensive, as a previous poster said, compare locallly rather than with Sterling rates.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:49 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the UK, if you provide child care during the day that is considered to be under the realms of the Education system and as such requires qualifications and legislation. My wife was a qualified and successful Child Carer in UK but as we live in an apartment here have not pursued it. Not that an apartment debars you, but just that its not fair on a child being cared to have only a small space to destroy! There are lots of outdoor spaces mind you to cover for a loss of garden. If we had a decent sized actual house then she may consider it again but we chose our location based upon our own needs and wishes and so are limited due to prices.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

If your friend wants to do babysitting privately, she/he wont be able to get CCB subsidy for eligible parents which makes a big difference to some families!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paddyo
In the Oz economy, that is expensive, as a previous poster said, compare locallly rather than with Sterling rates.
Using April/May 2008 wage comparisons
Australian Average Income = $1,183.10 pw at May 2008
UK Median wage £479 pw at April 2008
The UK median weekly wage would buy 12.95 days of child care at £37 per day
The AUS average weekly wage would buy 15.75 days of child care at $75 per day, or 23 days at $50 per day.

Actually, anything less than $91 per day in Australia, and the cost is comparatively cheaper, if someone earns the same multiple of the average wage in each country.

Obviously, if they step down a rung or two, then they must understand that a lower income brings income versus expenditure differences. And many people do start again at a lower level while they set up their new life here.

Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. I think that she wanted to do it during the day, some stay home mums could really do with a few hours a week to do their shopping, hair, nails or whatever.

I think like traditional night baby-sitting, she'd be going over to their houses so having an apartment or space wouldnt really be an issue. I'll have to ask her what her plans are. but that's how it was explained to me.

I think she's applied for a blue card, and has a First Aid certificate. Is there more that she'd need?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies. I think that she wanted to do it during the day, some stay home mums could really do with a few hours a week to do their shopping, hair, nails or whatever.

I think like traditional night baby-sitting, she'd be going over to their houses so having an apartment or space wouldnt really be an issue. I'll have to ask her what her plans are. but that's how it was explained to me.

I think she's applied for a blue card, and has a First Aid certificate. Is there more that she'd need?
depends if she wants to do it as a family day carer or casual between friends.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

I reckon it would only be for a couple of hours. Much like a babysitter who watches the kids one night a week when the parents go out.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
We pay $60 per day in Manly, Sydney but we have to provide our own meals. Previous place we had our son was $71 per day, it is slightly more for a younger child/baby, our son is 4. As we are on a 457 Temp Business Visa we are not entitled to any benefits.
Same as above but we pay $68 for 8.30 to 4.30 morning and afternoon tea provided and lunch we send in...ours goes from 9-3 ish at the moment one day a week, miniplant is over 3.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

I reckon it would only be for a couple of hours. Much like a babysitter who watches the kids one night a week when the parents go out.
I understand the idea, there are often some ads in the local papers for part time child care or 'nannies' so there is a market. But, daytime child care is just that, requires legal indemnity etc. Of course, a 'understanding' between 'friends' with cash payment can circumvent that, until she drops the baby!!! Then all hell will be to pay, for both parties!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

let's hope not!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

let's hope not!
So do I.

I only advise caution as its a world which is dominated by 'blame' and litigation. Child care is governed by the State to counter that and protect both parties, sometimes may seem overkill but they are trying to cover all options.
I mean, there was a news story a week or so back where a couple were successfully sued by their friends (now ex I assume!!) because the friends son stayed over a few years back and 'fell' out of the top of a bunk bed set. Even though he was skylarking and in all common sense it was his own fault, the judge awarded costs to the 'friends' because the couple did not take adequate risk actions to prevent the 'fall!! I mean, firstly stupid kid, secondly stupid parents who are out of touch with reality and thirdly stupid judge for not seeing it as a parent but as a point of law which has now opened up all sorts of issues.

So, if your friend wants to 'do a favour' unofficially and look after a 'friends' child for a few hours a day (with no 'official' payment) then crack on, but the slightest thing goes wrong and it will just be awful. Sad but true I'm afraid!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.