Reload this Page >

Cost of building house in NZ

Cost of building house in NZ

Old Nov 30th 2003, 5:34 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Default Cost of building house in NZ

hello again,

Just wondering if anyone has got an idea of how much it is to build a house or bungalow in NZ, proberly 3 or 4 bedrooms nothing fancy just open plan kitchen/diner living room 1 bathroom

any help appreciated

Lottie
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:26 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

You have my sympathy, you'll be lucky to find any answers on building your own home in New Zealand.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I would start by looking at say David Read and how much they charge for a completed house. In say Northwood in Christchurch, you could get a 4 bedroom bungalow for about 350,000NZD? I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Northwood but it gives you an idea as the plot would put you back about maybe 100,000NZD alone.

If you want rural you can pick land up quite cheap but to get all the electric and phones to the plot will add...

Also, if the plot isn't flat you will pay less for the land but quite a bit more for the building as they have to work harder on the foundations/stilts...

Certainly doable though, if you can manage the sub-contractors!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:13 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't really answer your question - it depends a lot on whether you want bargain basement kitset house, or architect designed.

In the last few days I'vbe been compiling a list of relevant links gleaned from various postings here and at ***** - posted below for your enjoyment. There's at least one that has prices I think.

might be something here that helps...

www.jennian.co.nz

www.moss-brothers.co.nz

www.mooreliving.co.nz

www.stonewoodhomes.co.nz

www.maximbuilding.co.nz

mcraeway homes,clutha homes,colonial homes and a1 homes

www.firthhomes.co.nz

http://www.masonryvillas.co.nz/

www.constructionsite.info/index.html

http://www.buildonline.co.nz/started.html

http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/for/mcraewayhomes/

http://www.peterrayhomes.co.nz/

http://www.lockwood.co.nz/contents_frame.html

http://www.piperpat.co.nz/nz/building/home.html

http://www.tristyle.co.nz/

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...d_Maintenance/
Old Nov 30th 2003, 9:15 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

How long is a piece of rope?

We reckoned on at least NZD300K for something with a decent finish along the lines of the size4 you suggest, + plot.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 10:29 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

just for your thoughts if you build rural.It cost 30knz$ for 1.6kms of power lines,40knz$ for a rural telephone set,(sod that one if theres mobile )10knz$ roading,5knz$ in paperwork etc,5knz$ for water supply line, and thats before anything has been built.
Land is anything from 1000$ per acre to here at Remarkables QTown....500,000$:scared:
We have had to budget 500,000 to see it finished and its not big.
To many places here are way over capitalised.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Hubby is a NZ builder, if you are thinking of buying a section and then doing the work yourself he could give you an idea on how much you would need. Obviously the section price will be a big factor in your overall spending, you could pick up something small in an average provincial town for hundreds of thousands less than you would for say Queenstown or Auckland etc. You get the gist. Anyway, PM us if you want any more info.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend is building her own - 5 beds, double garage - not sure on the exact price but I think around $190,000 she is using value plus homes website www.valueplushomes.co.nz she has bought 13 acres at $210,000.

Not bad really for a 5 bed house on 13 acres?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 6:06 am
Drowning Member

Wonderful!

I thought people would take up the challenge I've had a lot of trouble getting many answers before on this question, I thought it was because not many people did their own building in New Zealand. Obviously it was just me

I have read that getting a warranty on a self build is impossible, does anyone know anything about that?

Surfer Chick
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:51 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Copperben
My friend is building her own - 5 beds, double garage - not sure on the exact price but I think around $190,000 she is using value plus homes website www.valueplushomes.co.nz she has bought 13 acres at $210,000.

Not bad really for a 5 bed house on 13 acres?
Depends on location and quality of house. We saw plenty of houses in the Whangarei area (which is cheap for NZ) along the lines you describe (12 acres plus 4 bed house) and the typical asking price was 300-400K.

Even my shattered dream house (someone else closed the deal first and nabbed it) was just NZD520K (3 beds, 11.5 acres, 1 hour from AKL in Warkworth area).
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Surfer Chick.

I have finally got round to asking hubby your question. It sounds like it depends alot on what you mean by 'self build'. In England he thinks that often means you get someone else to build it, in which case, over here it would depend on who. If you built it yourself (as in do the actual work yourself) he doesn't know of how you would get a warranty (altho there may be a way). But if you got his company to build your house for instance, they guarantee it because they are members of the 'Master Builders', who provide some kind of insurance.

Remember I'm the messenger, but I think I've passed that on correctly. Hope it makes sense.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Steve of Hants is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guarantee

Is a "guarantee" in NZ just a new build insurance scheme, covering the first 10 years, etc., as in the UK, or is it different. What happens if there is no "guarantee"?

In the UK, you can buy a "guarantee" through an insurance broker, to pass on to future buyers. Presumably you can do the same.

I believe self-builders in the UK can't put a "guarantee" on a house, as you need to have a track-record to be registered.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:29 pm
Drowning Member

Default Re: Guarantee

Originally posted by Steve of Hants
Is a "guarantee" in NZ just a new build insurance scheme, covering the first 10 years, etc., as in the UK, or is it different. What happens if there is no "guarantee"?

In the UK, you can buy a "guarantee" through an insurance broker, to pass on to future buyers. Presumably you can do the same.

I believe self-builders in the UK can't put a "guarantee" on a house, as you need to have a track-record to be registered.

Know nothing yet to do with NZ building. But, if my husband was to build his own house in UK, I mean EVERYTHING except of course what he needs a second pair of hands for it is covered. You by a 'warrenty' 10 years, they obviously would certify every stage of the build etc.

From what I have found out so far, which isn't a lot, this is not possible in NZ.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 6:05 am
Just Joined

wotwots is an unknown quantity at this point

Approx $1000 NZ per square metre is apparently the current going rate