Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Cost of Braces in Australia

The Cost of Braces in Australia

Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost of Braces in Australia

Well my oldest has just had braces fitted and cost $3000 that can be paid over 18 monthly installments if i wish.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my post.

Just to let you know I have taken my daughter to see an orthodontist but once he knew we were thinking of going to Australia he said it would probably cost more in the long run as they would want to change the braces etc. Also to everyone in Aus the rules have changed here drastically if the orthodontist had got his act together earlier then my daughter could have had her treatment free but due to recent government cut backs they will only treat children on the NHS if the teeth are very bad indeed so my daughter just missed out (everyone can probably guess what I think if him!) . Cost here around £2,500 - £3,000 roughly.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:47 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
We too have been looking at this - we`ve spoken to 2 UK orthodontists, one quoted £3000 or a 2 year wait on NHS(no wonder he wore a mask - bet he`s got a horse called Black Bess too!!), the other quoted £1400 or a 2 year wait on NHS but advised us we would be better to leave it until we get to Oz as a new Dentist would probably have a different approach. As we are hoping to be in Oz by end of July we`ve decided to wait - the first dentist seemed only interested in getting our money and wanted to start work straight away before it was too late.
My daughter has just been quoted 2800 quid (sorry no pound sign ) for my 13 year old grandsons braces or the 2 year wait (ffs surely waiting another 2 years will make the problem worse = costs more???????????).
Ah the good ole NHS, at least here you KNOW you are going to have to pay but at least you are only paying the once (national insurance ).

Loz x
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to have a set of braces fitted for my daughter in Australia? I know the cost is around £2,000 here, but as we might be moving during the next year or so the dentist has advised us to wait until we arrive in Aus.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you
Hi,
My daughter had braces fitted in oz last May. Total cost for metal braces top & bottom, retainer or wire behind when braces removed, mouth guard for sport, + get free floss, brush, paste every visit is $4200. The payments are spread over the treatment and as we are in NIB health fund we have managed to get the 18 mth treatment spread over 3 years of allowances to maximise the rebate from NIB. This in total will give us $1800 dollars back so the cost to us is $2400 so we are pretty happy with that. I may add she needed no extractions and I think she is a pretty straight forward case.

A little off topic but just want to stress that we have certainly benefited from being in a private health fund. Although we have not used any hospital services we have more than had hour monthly premiums back through chiropracter, massage therapist, dental checks/clean/treatment, orthodontist, optical, some prescriptions and have just claimed for nicotine patches for my husband and he has been smoke free for 1 whole week YAY!!!!

Julie
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to have a set of braces fitted for my daughter in Australia? I know the cost is around £2,000 here, but as we might be moving during the next year or so the dentist has advised us to wait until we arrive in Aus.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you
$5000 i was told by Orthodontist for my daughter to have fixed braces

She didn't bother.