Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Cost of Braces in Australia

The Cost of Braces in Australia

Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Cost of Braces in Australia

Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to have a set of braces fitted for my daughter in Australia? I know the cost is around £2,000 here, but as we might be moving during the next year or so the dentist has advised us to wait until we arrive in Aus.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:27 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Cost of Braces in Australia

Why you dont need to ask a Dentist Mrs M. We have lots of clothing outfitters here, besides wearing a belt is far more in line with fashion .Only Hillbillys an them there Rednecks where Braces.
Also £2000.00 Way over the top about $20.00 TOP wack steel grips and good elastic.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 12:21 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jan
Why you dont need to ask a Dentist Mrs M. We have lots of clothing outfitters here, besides wearing a belt is far more in line with fashion .Only Hillbillys an them there Rednecks where Braces.
Also £2000.00 Way over the top about $20.00 TOP wack steel grips and good elastic.
Gold
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:11 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to have a set of braces fitted for my daughter in Australia? I know the cost is around £2,000 here, but as we might be moving during the next year or so the dentist has advised us to wait until we arrive in Aus.

Do a search, there have been threads about the cost of braces etc before that you'll probably find more helpful than the responses above.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:31 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chels
Do a search, there have been threads about the cost of braces etc before that you'll probably find more helpful than the responses above.
Sense of humour anyone?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:33 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MD09
Sense of humour anyone?
i'll admit to having a chuckle
but that still doesn't help the OP
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:33 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Sense of humour anyone?
Happy now?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by gedge
i'll admit to having a chuckle
but that still doesn't help the OP
I guess someone will eventually come along who knows.

In the meantime, our rants are keeping it on the front page
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:48 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

As another poster said have a look on the site using the search, the cost can depend on the level of work done.

My daughters are now in the region of $8000 because of extra work she has caused herself and her initial set up was pretty expensive.

Son was about $4000 but he did not need masses of work. Other costs are ongoing with night and retainers to be provided. Sports braces and gum shields also possibly add to the cost.

Normal dental treatment can be expensive as well - December and January costs for my two ran at over $400 for a few fillings and cleaning. I only got $95 back from dental insurance as they already had previous treatment this year~!

The thing we have found is that comparing with price in the UK to here was not the issue. It was the fact braces would have been provided free and other dental work for the kids in the UK whilst in full time education. Also a straight exchange rate comparison is difficult it does depend on what you are earning in AUS to how difficult you find to pay the bills.

If you are already having to pay in the UK, save the money put it away in a high interest and pay over here there is not going to be a saving on starting work which will probably be done again or still charged for here.

Best of Luck
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My son had braces fitted before he came out and the new orthodontist took over the treatment at a reduced cost. It still cost $1750 for the treatment though. They do not stock parts here, but if he needs to have teeth out and such before then try to get that bit done before moving. Not all orthodontists will take on UK braces and may insist on replacing with aussie ones. If its going to be a while I would get on and start the process in UK as any progress will reduce time over here.

Meant to say this was upper teeth only.

Jo
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:57 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Sell your house, everything you own including the shirt on your back and then you might just be able to afford it.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Garry,Sue & James is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We emigrated last April and our son who is 13 has got braces on his teeth.

If I was you I would get as much of the work done prior to emigrating to Australia, as it can get pretty expensive.

James had most of his work carried out prior - i.e brackets fitted/ teeth taken out (which is the most expensive part).

However, he still required about a years worth of treatment costing us around $2,500 dollars (around 1,000 english pounds). Had he not had the brackets fitted and teeth taken out beforehand it would have cost us around $5,000 - $10,000.

Our orthodontist said that having all the major work done prior not only saved in the overall period of the teeth being straightened but also saved us alot of money.

The majority of orthodontists will issue you an overall statement that you can pay off in installments. Very helpful that way.

Where about's are planning to emigrate to?

We are about 10km outside of Sydney.

Please please do not think it is the same as England but with sunshine, as it is not.

We have had some really really bad days i.e homesickness etc, but we have also had some excellent days too.

Would we go back to England to live? Definitely NO.

I hope I have been of some help.

Sue Logan
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:36 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

My advice was based on the fact you were comparing cost - therefore I thought you needed to pay in the UK. If this is not the case get as much free treatment for your child before you come over.

And as for LLP advice, see if he will give you an interest free loan for the dental treatment to make up for his useless advice. Free or to pay is a big difference and $8000 is a lot of money after tax, for some people it can be the shirt off their backs.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

My aunt and uncle went to bangkok and had between them, 2 xrays, 8 caps, 14 fillings, clean and polished for $4000. They said they were damn good and very clean all tools used came straight out of a sealed packet. So they combined a holiday with dental work and reconed they saved about 15k.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:45 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We too have been looking at this - we`ve spoken to 2 UK orthodontists, one quoted £3000 or a 2 year wait on NHS(no wonder he wore a mask - bet he`s got a horse called Black Bess too!!), the other quoted £1400 or a 2 year wait on NHS but advised us we would be better to leave it until we get to Oz as a new Dentist would probably have a different approach. As we are hoping to be in Oz by end of July we`ve decided to wait - the first dentist seemed only interested in getting our money and wanted to start work straight away before it was too late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.