Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

coromandel peninsula

coromandel peninsula

Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:03 am
Just Joined

auxwuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default coromandel peninsula

My parents are coming out to see us in February and I'm thinking of taking them to the Coromandel for a few days, as it's close to where i live (tauranga) and I've heard it's very beautiful.

Could anybody recommend any special places to stay- perhaps a lodge or hotel. Money wise doesn't matter.

Any other tips of where to take them in that neck of the kiwi woods would also be very much appreciated.

Thankyou,

Anna
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

If I were you I'd head up the west coast of the Coromandel to Coromandel Town, some of the views are fantastic as the road follows the coast all the way. There is an excentric guy their who has built his own mountain railway, and does trips to the top of the hill by train. I seem to remember their is a tunnel, switchback and a double story bridge and the view from the top is fantastic.

Wouldn't recommend staying in Coromendel Town as it's a bit of a hippy community, but drive across the penusilar to Whitangi (they are dirt roads but perfectly possible in a normal car I did it loads of times, (might even be tarmaced by now)). Whitangi is my favourite place on the Coromendel and it's big enough to have all the required facilities, so long as your not going on a Bank Holiday weekend you can just find accomadation on spec.

Or head futher south to Catheredal Cove, but this place is much smaller more like a village, but outstanding scenery. Be warned the hike to Catheredal Cove is about 1 hour over hilly terrain and it's mainly up hill comming back.

Enjoy the holiday
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:49 am
Just Joined

danno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: coromandel peninsula

Originally posted by auxwuff
My parents are coming out to see us in February and I'm thinking of taking them to the Coromandel for a few days, as it's close to where i live (tauranga) and I've heard it's very beautiful.

Could anybody recommend any special places to stay- perhaps a lodge or hotel. Money wise doesn't matter.

Any other tips of where to take them in that neck of the kiwi woods would also be very much appreciated.

Thankyou,

Anna
We travelled through the Coromandel last Oct on our look-see visit to NZ. Despite it being a little on the hippie side I would highly recommend a night stop over in Coromandel Town - it's a pretty place and has some really good places to have dinner. We stayed at the Coromandel Motels and Country Park where we had a 2 bed (4 person) & 1 bath unit for about $100- cheap, clean and friendly and just a short walk into town.

That whole area is beautiful and the scenery just stunning so wherever you go I'm sure you and your parents will really enjoy it. Just one thing though - don't plan to spend any time in Thames (the gateway to the Coromandel) even though you might think that being the largest town in the region it might be worth it - it's not.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Thankyou very much to the both of you. i have taken all the information on board.

Anna
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gingacaz is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in Coromandel in June on a tour of NZ. There's an excellent place to stay in Hahei - The Church (www.thechurchhahei.co.nz). Beautiful little cottages, great breakfasts & an excellent restaurant.

Hahei is pretty but quite small & it's a good base for Cathedral Cove (worth the steep walk). You can also get the ferry across to Whitianga or visit Hot Water Beach from Hahei as a base. There's loads of info on www.hahei.co.nz re boat trips etc.

I think that this area is nicer than Coromandel but the whole peninsular is really pretty, laid back and perfect for a short holiday.

Have a fab time!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:40 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gingacaz
We were in Coromandel in June on a tour of NZ. There's an excellent place to stay in Hahei - The Church (www.thechurchhahei.co.nz). Beautiful little cottages, great breakfasts & an excellent restaurant.

Hahei is pretty but quite small & it's a good base for Cathedral Cove (worth the steep walk). You can also get the ferry across to Whitianga or visit Hot Water Beach from Hahei as a base. There's loads of info on www.hahei.co.nz re boat trips etc.

I think that this area is nicer than Coromandel but the whole peninsular is really pretty, laid back and perfect for a short holiday.

Have a fab time!
Agree with this and we prefer the east coast to the west!

Anyway, wherever you go, in February there's a reasonable risk you might not find accomodation unless you book in advance or at least early in the day in person (ie 10 am not after 6pm).

We liked staying in Hahei, in the camping site on the beach there are studio units for about NZD130 a night, modern and nice.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Thankyou Ginger Caz. You've answered my question spot on about the accommodation. Sounds fab! Will view those web sites right now!

The general concensus from people is to hit the East coast rather than West, and will definately visit Cath Cove.

Anna

Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:17 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally posted by auxwuff
Thankyou Ginger Caz. You've answered my question spot on about the accommodation. Sounds fab! Will view those web sites right now!

The general concensus from people is to hit the East coast rather than West, and will definately visit Cath Cove.

Anna

Anna,

just read your post went to Coromandel 2 years ago.
Hot water Beach is a must. You bury in the sand and it fill up with natural hot spring water and is hotter than a bath, with a bit of sea water it cools it down and you can sit in it for hours a great relaxer. Not much to eat though so take a picnic.
we rented a small house out as it was just as cheap as a motel.

Enjoy, hope you have a great time.

Jo
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

Would definately recommend hahei we stayed there a couple of months back, the hike to Cathedral Cove was great, take a picnic plenty of sunscreen and you will have a lovely time.

Hot water beach was good, although be prepared to dig for ages and build a wall with the sand to stop the water coming in - but good fun!

Much prefered the East coast to the west and Thames was just awful so drive through as quick as you can!