Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GCSE'S V School Certificate

GCSE'S V School Certificate

Old Jan 12th 2004, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default GCSE'S V School Certificate

Hi

I have a 15 yr old daughter that is half way through the first year of her GCSE's.

She eventually wants to go to university to study Osteopathy.

Do you think we should postpone our migration to OZ for 18 months until she completes her GCSE's or leave asoon as possible, (Which isn't likely to be for at least six months) so that she can do the Oz equivalent The School Certificate instead.

Presumably what ever route we take she will be able to take the High School Certificate after.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a teenager nor do I really know the differance between UK and Aus qualifications - not much use then.

...but surely thats a lot to heep on a kid at this crucial time.Not criticising, but exams are hard enough when you know the syllabus must be twice as hard when you don't and you only get one go.

If you can hang on in the UK it would make it easier and less stressful for them.

Hope I haven't offended.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a look around and found this
http://www.aqf.edu.au/senior.htm

one bit specifically talks about recognition of prior learning

http://www.aqf.edu.au/lp.htm#rpl

hope this helps.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GCSE'S V School Certificate

Originally posted by jwinch
Hi

I have a 15 yr old daughter that is half way through the first year of her GCSE's.

Do you think we should postpone our migration to OZ for 18 months until she completes her GCSE's or leave asoon as possible, (Which isn't likely to be for at least six months) so that she can do the Oz equivalent The School Certificate instead.

Presumably what ever route we take she will be able to take the High School Certificate after.
I was kept at boarding school in the UK to maintain education continuity. I would find out how the Australian HSC curriculum fits in to where your daughter is at. There is another 3 and half years before the exams that matter start so you are probably at the last moment you can change systems.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

i have a sixteen year old daughter who did her GCSE'S last year, if she wants to come back to britain in the future then at least she has thoose qualifications, as far as i am aware GCSE'S arn't recognized in oz which was a bit of a blow to us, so she went into sixth form to get her AS level (which are recognized) but had to pull out due to glandular fever. I am still trying to work out where she will stand when we get to oz (hopefully in July) and have got to get in touch with qtack(i think that is how it's spelt) who will be able to guide me more on converting her education into one that is recognized by their system. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh just one more hurdle to get over.

It would have been much easier for her to study in oz and they get alot more options with the subjects they study!!

hope this helps
cazz
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The main drawback of A-levels is the restriction of degree choice studying 3 subjects gives you. Sister in Laws son has just got his results and can chose whatever course or uni he wants (he got redicuously high marks).

In the UK you chose your course and Uni in advance of the results.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jwinch
Hi

I have a 17 year old son who's just starting his final HSC year. He's done all his schooling in Sydney.

The School Certificate, which they take at the same age as GSCE's is totally meaningless. Everyone gets a 'Certificate of Achievement' out of them and they cannot be 'failed'.

The exams that really matter are the HSC which is a two year broad-based course. These marks are used for University entrance etc. Students take approx 5-6 subjects (including compulsory English) so there is a bit of choice allowed.

I would suggest that it doesn't really matter when you come. You could let your daughter take her GSCE's in England so she at least has a recognisable UK qualification (if there was a chance you'd be going back) - then get over here quick smart in time for the start of the HSC course. Or don't worry about it.

Incidentally you also have to apply for Uni courses here before you get your results. Once the results come in, the chopping and changing starts!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by nickyc

The School Certificate, which they take at the same age as GSCE's is totally meaningless. Everyone gets a 'Certificate of Achievement' out of them and they cannot be 'failed'.

The exams that really matter are the HSC which is a two year broad-based course. These marks are used for University entrance etc. Students take approx 5-6 subjects (including compulsory English) so there is a bit of choice allowed.

I would suggest that it doesn't really matter when you come. You could let your daughter take her GSCE's in England so she at least has a recognisable UK qualification (if there was a chance you'd be going back) - then get over here quick smart in time for the start of the HSC course. Or don't worry about it.

Incidentally you also have to apply for Uni courses here before you get your results. Once the results come in, the chopping and changing starts!
Because it is a two year course, I think the time of arrival is important. In fact, at least in NSW, it is a seven term course spread over two years. This means you really do three terms of year 11 and upgrade to year 12 in the last term of the year. That's when you cop your first assessment. It will not be a heavily weighted as the later ones but assessments account for 50% of the total mark.

The perception is that university entry and the whole HSC thing is more competitive than in the UK. Interviews for places are rarely part of the process, it all hinges on "primitive" rules of supply and demand and the dreaded UAI score. This is your ranked place in the state (100 is top) based on moderated marks for the courses you select based on their degree of difficulty.

www.uac.edu.au has more (for NSW).

eApplications for eight preferences are made to UAC in about September and an offer is generated based on your UAI in January. University courses are far more vocational so that for example, Communications typically requires you to be in the top 4% of the state, where, as I understand it, Journalism in the UK is considered pretty veg.