Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Kat_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall sounds just like the Lake District! Wet, full of Tourists, locals can't afford to live there, but very scenic.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
Cornwall sounds just like the Lake District! Wet, full of Tourists, locals can't afford to live there, but very scenic.
Never rained when i went. I must be lucky.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Kat_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Never rained when i went. I must be lucky.

You were, takes a lot of water to keep them lakes full
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
You were, takes a lot of water to keep them lakes full
Never noticed, i was too busy having a good time to look at the lakes.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

I came down from Manchester to work in London, and have worked in Texas, Dubai and Russia.

I live in Devon now because the south west is so beautiful ..... BUT..... outside of Exeter you're struggling for culture, yes the beaches are nice, but sometimes you want a little more than that, especially in the winter in the South West -- which can be BORING (oh dear, I'm going to upset so many people by saying that).

We're hoping to go to Melbourne to get the best of all worlds - work, beaches and culture. Plus the aussies are a lot more laid back and you don't suffer as much from "accent snobbery" as happens in southern UK.

Go to OZ -- have an adventure
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:31 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
What makes you think your lifestyle will be any better here? It’s not like Home and Away.

Seriously, why do people still think Australia has a lower stress level of life, with more free time to spend? Or that the weather is always sunny? Lower cost of living? Bla bla bla.

Australians on average work longer hours than the UK. (A study a while ago even said Aussies work longer and harder than any western nation).

Oh, and it also rains here.

People here still have to work full time, still have to pay bills, still find things expensive, still do over time, still get stressed out – it’s like the UK, only without the cheap weekend breaks to Europe.

Think realistically, if you are coming here just because you want better “lifestyle and weather” then you’ll be in for a shock.

If you’re coming because you want to spend a year on a WHV having fun, then go for it. (Remember a WHV is only temporary and if you can’t secure a Permanent Visa you’ll still have to go back, you are also limited to working 6 months in the one job, and will only get the second year if you do things like fruit picking).

Also, don’t know if you and the OH are married, but if so then you don’t qualify for the WHV.

I have loads of friends who came here on a WHV, and even though they had experience, could not get a job in their areas, simply because they were seen as a “Backpacker” and limited to a time frame. They all got stuck with basic, low paid backpacker jobs.

Like I said, if you want fun and adventure for a year then go for it. If you have a fantastic career option for both of you, have already been here and loved it then go for it. But if you just want to escape the lifestyle and weather of the UK then you best stay put as they are the wrong reasons for coming.

Good luck either way.
Maybe there's a perception of the Aussies having more free time etc because they actually make an effort to do something with it? The weather being nicer certainly helps. When I've stayed with my brother he worked his ass off all day but every evening he'd be at band practice, having friends round, going out for dinner or just relaxing OUTSIDE which somehow seems more decadent than relaxing inside in front of the telly. Of course it's a choice, you can join the rat race or not, he's chosen not to live in Sydney deliberately because he wants a slower pace of life. But he certainly enjoys his life and makes the most of his free time. I think the problem is in the UK when it's pissing it down/freezing/just crap out it's very hard to think about going out and making the most of the evening.

To the OP if you want better weather etc or the typical perception of OZ then maybe think about the Gold Coast? From what I read on here the weather is generally good and it's spacious with nice beaches etc. I say Cornwall will still be there but go have some fun in Oz first while you're young!!

Tx
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I'd live in Cornwall like a shot if the we had work down there. Such a lucky place to be.
Aww c'mon down country, you know you want to!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah Jayne
I live in Devon now because the south west is so beautiful ..... BUT..... outside of Exeter you're struggling for culture, yes the beaches are nice, but sometimes you want a little more than that, especially in the winter in the South West -- which can be BORING (oh dear, I'm going to upset so many people by saying that).

We're hoping to go to Melbourne to get the best of all worlds - work, beaches and culture. Plus the aussies are a lot more laid back and you don't suffer as much from "accent snobbery" as happens in southern UK.

Go to OZ -- have an adventure
Lol, oh, I'm sorry.....the South West - V - Melbourne for culture!!!!
You've not spent a long period of time in Australia have you?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I have spent a while in Devon - and a long long long long winter - its DULL
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:25 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I have spent a while in Devon - and a long long long long winter - its DULL
What has weather got to do with culture?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
What has weather got to do with culture?
when did I say it did?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:31 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

when did I say it did?
It was your response to a post about culture.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
It was your response to a post about culture.
I believe I said I've just spent a long winter in Devon - which is dull due to a lack of culture not due to weather.

The summers down here are great because of the coastline, the winters are not -- dinner parties discussing the relative merits of Cameron vs Brown and house prices, pubs serving similar fayre and gymkhanas are not exactly exciting. Exeter has more going on compared to the rest of the county, but even there everyone heads to London if they want to experience a good music and arts scene.

Deepest Devon is dreary in winter
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

I believe I said I've just spent a long winter in Devon - which is dull due to a lack of culture not due to weather.

The summers down here are great because of the coastline, the winters are not -- dinner parties discussing the relative merits of Cameron vs Brown and house prices, pubs serving similar fayre and gymkhanas are not exactly exciting. Exeter has more going on compared to the rest of the county, but even there everyone heads to London if they want to experience a good music and arts scene.

Deepest Devon is dreary in winter
look no hard feelings each to their own
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Not being a culture vulture as such can someone give me their definition of culture in a British sense. Also it strikes me that people who have a bash at Australia for being devoid of culture haven't been to Melbourne which in my eyes would be second only to London in the UK in terms of available culture/arts. Now I would suggest the food/wine side of Melbourne and its surrounding cournty side would be ahead of what London has to offer. It can't compete with London in historical terms not many cities in the world can. Melbourne also has a thriving arts scene and a good local music scene granted the international acts tour less frequently than most would like.

Taking London out of the argument lets combine the cultural offerings of Glasgow & Birmingham or any of the large regional cities in the UK do any of them trump Melbourne in terms of access to the arts or the amount of free festivals and events that are available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.