Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Thanks Grayling, I've had a look.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Perhaps you ought to check the sunset times in various parts of Australia if light evenings are important to you.

Much of the year it will be dark when you finish work and dark not much later than 8.30 pm in the summer (6.30 ish in Queensland).

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jacob/risesetmelb.html
Yes, we find the 845-9pm - remember figures may show sunset and not take into account civil or astronomical twilight - for Melbourne and the longer winter days compared to the UK quite adequate for summer fun.

I can forgo another hour!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

ripcantrell will become famous soon enough

I'm not from Cornwall but lived there for 3 years prior to Perth WA. I would vote Cornwall because as per previous post its horrible working here in the heat. Also, its not that easy to get into teaching as you have to earn points working in remote rural areas or doing supply in the city before you can apply for jobs!!

Oz is not as fantastic as people make out and I would suggest you do a reccy first out here before commiting yourself. As for Melbourne?, its a massive place and ideal if you're from a big city but otherwise you might want to consider more rural if after VIC.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:20 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

I would vote Cornwall too, always wanted to live there but no way could I have afforded it
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

cornwall if you can put up with the natives. never found a decent one yet but be prepared for trouble. arson when they find out where you live (happened in wales in the 80s) language issues... they want their own language like the welsh, politics... they want to be a separate state and of course they dont like outsiders or tourists even tho without them there would be no economy down there.

not much different in oz but at least in cornwall you can tell them to wind their necks in a put up with being part of england.

ho hum... (lighting blue touch paper and standing well back!!!)
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:25 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teepee
cornwall if you can put up with the natives. never found a decent one yet but be prepared for trouble. arson when they find out where you live (happened in wales in the 80s) language issues... they want their own language like the welsh, politics... they want to be a separate state and of course they dont like outsiders or tourists even tho without them there would be no economy down there.

not much different in oz but at least in cornwall you can tell them to wind their necks in a put up with being part of england.

ho hum... (lighting blue touch paper and standing well back!!!)
It was probably something to do with your attitude.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:30 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ripcantrell
I'm not from Cornwall but lived there for 3 years prior to Perth WA. I would vote Cornwall because as per previous post its horrible working here in the heat. Also, its not that easy to get into teaching as you have to earn points working in remote rural areas or doing supply in the city before you can apply for jobs!!

Oz is not as fantastic as people make out and I would suggest you do a reccy first out here before commiting yourself. As for Melbourne?, its a massive place and ideal if you're from a big city but otherwise you might want to consider more rural if after VIC.
Can't imagine it thats great working in the cold and rain , that is much of the weather in Cornwall !
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Cornwall's probably one of the warmest places in the UK due to the gulf-stream.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Cornwall's probably one of the warmest places in the UK due to the gulf-stream.
True.

Not as cold in winter but equally not as hot in summer.

Although the clinging damp and wind of winter makes it feel just as cold. Get's right to your bones.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:15 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunny
Hi folks,

I know the title to these kind of threads is usually 'Sydney or Melbourne, Perth or Melbourne etc. But I'm looking for opinions of the wise here......

I'm Irish, doing my first teaching year in the Midlands, UK. Currently in a secondary school, but am planning to switch to primary teaching at the end of the academic year. I have decided and reconsidered and decided and reconsidered moving to Oz around 1000 times....

My main reasons for wanting to move are lifestyle & weather. OH is just completing a HDip in Sports Mgmt, currently working 2 pt jobs, my job has long hours - as far as teaching jobs go (8-5.30) not including what gets brought home. When I'm coming in the door, he's leaving for his evening job, and he works weekends!So basically, while we are ok financially, quality of life is s*it at the moment.

We do not have kids/mortgage(serious stuff), I do however, have student loans to be repaid at home-€400 max. per month. I have been in contact with agencies in Mel, and they seemed fairly confident they could get me supply in primary if/when I go - ideally September, as I have read that term is best for relief work. I would be going over with limited funds, so would be on the job-hunt from day 1. If I cannot secure relief teaching, I will do any other job, no problem at all-I've got lots of bar/restaurant & retail work experience, and am a grafter.

So, my question is this...Do we take a leap of faith, so to speak, or would I be better of taking the 'safer' option and head to Cornwall? I've been looking at jobs there and doing my research, and while I have no doubt that quality of life could be improved there, and the Summer will be nice. It aint exactly Oz, is it?!

Also, any ideas how my OH would be fixed-work wise? His main area is football, but like me is not too fussy,if it pay's he'll do it. He was looking into fruit picking! Oh yeah, we will be on a WHV.

Sorry for the essay, any comment - however blunt/realistic will be appreciated
Yarp and Narp!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teepee

Language is really not an issue given that less than half a percent of the population speak the Cornish language. There's probably a higher percentage of Albanian, Polish and Rumanian spoken now.

What upsets the Cornish is:
pissed holidaymakers littering and destroying property and countryside.
having to pay the highest water rates in the country to accomodate that holiday industry.
majority of the money raised by the holiday industry not used or staying in the Cornish economy.
vast amounts of real estate bought up as holiday homes meaning locals cannot afford property.
very high cost of living and very low wages.
government taking taxes but only giving back population overspill from inner city slums.

It's a lose:lose for the Cornish which may explain a bit about the attitude you perceive.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:10 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
.... It's a lose:lose for the Cornish which may explain a bit about the attitude you perceive.
And there was me thinking it was a misplaced superiority complex.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:40 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
vast amounts of real estate bought up as holiday homes meaning locals cannot afford property.

It's a lose:lose for the Cornish which may explain a bit about the attitude you perceive.
But in the majority of cases surely it was the Cornish who sold these homes, probably at vastly inflated prices, to the "townies" in the first place? They can't have it both ways ...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And there was me thinking it was a misplaced superiority complex.
Oh, Like the one some Engish people have towards Irish people?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:41 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lunny
Oh, Like the one some Engish people have towards Irish people?
That's the one, although I don't think it's reserved only for the Irish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.