Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

I can't really answer that question tbh,as I don't know enough Melly people.I do know a few Queenslanders(best mates)and they don't seem any different to your average aussie,just run of the mill ordinary type folk.There is some state to state shit stirring,mainly sport related though which is usually taken light heartedly.In all seriousness SJ,Melbourne is a good place,and as long as you move there with open eyes and have a realistic outlook,you'll be fine.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I can't really answer that question tbh,as I don't know enough Melly people.I do know a few Queenslanders(best mates)and they don't seem any different to your average aussie,just run of the mill ordinary type folk.There is some state to state shit stirring,mainly sport related though which is usually taken light heartedly.In all seriousness SJ,Melbourne is a good place,and as long as you move there with open eyes and have a realistic outlook,you'll be fine.
I will live in subjective reality.... or am I dreaming..... hmmmm .... the Matrix has a lot to answer for
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:01 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Jayne
Plus -- the pound has been tanking -- make sense to me to earn my salary in a more valuable currency...
and the UK is about to sink into a mess of strikes, cuts in public services and unemployment -- the politicians wanting the votes, are all keeping schtum apart from saying "difficult choices will have to be made" -- but the UK ain't gonna be a good place to be for the next few years....
I'm not sure what the means really - the fact that the Aus $ has strengthened against the GBP doesn't mean a great deal if you are earning & spending your money in Aus does it? It only seems an advantage if you are saving your A$ to send back to the UK?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I'm not sure what the means really - the fact that the Aus $ has strengthened against the GBP doesn't mean a great deal if you are earning & spending your money in Aus does it? It only seems an advantage if you are saving your A$ to send back to the UK?
or taking lots of holiday and business trips abroad ... when again it is an advantage to have strong currency ...

apologies if I lost you with the rookie philosophy

"living in reality" -- means we have to agree what reality is

everyone's idea of reality is different, because our perception is personal and subjective

this was portrayed in the film The Matrix - the reality of the humans was a product of their minds and not in fact "real"

so we all live in reality -- but what that means is very diffferent for different people (or for monkeys, or cows, or bees or plants or anything else alive that interacts with the material world).
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
lol sorry - now I actually read what you replied to and see you're not interested in philosophising

for a moment there I thought you were a willing victim
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Jayne
or taking lots of holiday and business trips abroad ... when again it is an advantage to have strong currency ...

apologies if I lost you with the rookie philosophy

"living in reality" -- means we have to agree what reality is

everyone's idea of reality is different, because our perception is personal and subjective

this was portrayed in the film The Matrix - the reality of the humans was a product of their minds and not in fact "real"

so we all live in reality -- but what that means is very diffferent for different people (or for monkeys, or cows, or bees or plants or anything else alive that interacts with the material world).
Yep totally agree with you,we all live in reality in this moment.I think the danger comes when some people want to move to Australia thinking it will be utopia when it obviously is'nt.As I said and what I would say to anyone,is yes go,but go with your eyes open and be realistic.I think when people decide to emigrate its probably only natural to want to only see the good things,after all most of you would probably be paying alot for your visa'a and god knows what else.I think if you have a listen to the radio station I mentioned a few posts back,these aussies who are talking about what affects their own lives,how they feel about the issues affecting Australia are definately living in reality,because basically thats all we have.Reality will show you the real deal,not some delusional idea of what you "think"it will be like!Anyway enough said from me,I've been at work and need to make something to eat.All the best xx
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yep totally agree with you,we all live in reality in this moment.I think the danger comes when some people want to move to Australia thinking it will be utopia when it obviously is'nt.As I said and what I would say to anyone,is yes go,but go with your eyes open and be realistic.I think when people decide to emigrate its probably only natural to want to only see the good things,after all most of you would probably be paying alot for your visa'a and god knows what else.I think if you have a listen to the radio station I mentioned a few posts back,these aussies who are talking about what affects their own lives,how they feel about the issues affecting Australia are definately living in reality,because basically thats all we have.Reality will show you the real deal,not some delusional idea of what you "think"it will be like!Anyway enough said from me,I've been at work and need to make something to eat.All the best xx
aww c'mon take a chill pill ;0
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

At the end of the day if you can get a job in cornwall then great you might try it there and if it doesnt suit you after a few years try Aus, you are still young enough. I grew up in Penzance and it was a fantastic place to grow up but as soon as I was old enough I, and anyone else who didnt want to work in a pub, Dixons or fish, had to leave and head for london or surrounds.

My mum lives in Penzance and comes to Australia for 4 weeks a year and cant wait for those 4 weeks. If you asked her, as someone who lives there now she would tell you Australia any day. The cornish are quite cliquey and most places are in a permanent state of decline, Penzance hasnt had a facelift since 1969 and when we moved in 83 it was a town with bakeries, coconut ice shops, pasty shops and WH Smiths, now its a town full of one pound shops and supermarkets on outskirts, still lovely in summer. Cornwall in Sunshine is one of the best places in the world IMO, problem is sunshine is hard to come by, so Cornwall 11 months of wet and so so or cold is a much different proposition.

Move to Melbourne...
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sarah Jayne;8468072]
mmm kay will do ---

but hey are the Melburnians different to your average aussie (as much that I read says they are, or at least, like to think they are), or is it monoculture???
Actually, I think people are people. Demographics are more the key to alot of things. I thought Melbourne might be too European initially. It is the most European city perhaps in guidebook speak but it isn't Europe.

Even mono Perth and Qld has it's arts and patrons.

Some Melbournians are rightfully proud of their city and way of life - but Melbourne also produces the bogan just like any others. Have to admit, our Sydney family were impressed with Melbourne and wondered if their 20 year stint needed to be rethinked.

There is a sort of Melbourne life which you might define, not all live by it, and it's all prose at the end of the day, if fun.

It might mean the arts, the football, cafes, the Prom, the camp down the Peninsula. The happiest people I know do it all. It might mean living in a nice house in the inner East, or living in the huge forests of the Dandenongs. It might mean living like any other person.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Lunny,

If you are keen on living close to the beach, there are parts of Victoria close to Melbourne (one to two hours from the city) which has the most gorgeous beaches namely, Mornington Peninsula and also South West Victoria (the Great Ocean Road/Geelong), which are situated close to towns and cities but also close enough to the big smoke that you wouldn't be completely isolated from civilisation - just a consideration. I have no experience living there as we have always lived in Melbourne but if I was flexible on where we could live in terms of work, they would be strong candidates for me.

Also, by world standards, Melbourne's winters are mild however by Australian standards, they are long, cold and damp. Just something to bear in mind so that it's not too much of a shock when winter rolls around. - however, you can do what I do, insist on a holiday in the QLD once July/Aug roles around
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Lunny,

If you are keen on living close to the beach, there are parts of Victoria close to Melbourne (one to two hours from the city) which has the most gorgeous beaches namely, Mornington Peninsula and also South West Victoria (the Great Ocean Road/Geelong), which are situated close to towns and cities but also close enough to the big smoke that you wouldn't be completely isolated from civilisation - just a consideration. I have no experience living there as we have always lived in Melbourne but if I was flexible on where we could live in terms of work, they would be strong candidates for me.

Also, by world standards, Melbourne's winters are mild however by Australian standards, they are long, cold and damp. Just something to bear in mind so that it's not too much of a shock when winter rolls around. - however, you can do what I do, insist on a holiday in the QLD once July/Aug roles around
Hi Shellfish,

Thanks for that. That sounds ideal, depending on being able to get work, I'd really like to be near the coast. Melbourne's winters have to be an improvement on UK anyway, snow last week on the second day of official summer? come on!

The plan would be to stay in melbourne for 6 mths Jan-July, then head up the east coast - following the sun
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sherro
At the end of the day if you can get a job in cornwall then great you might try it there and if it doesnt suit you after a few years try Aus, you are still young enough. I grew up in Penzance and it was a fantastic place to grow up but as soon as I was old enough I, and anyone else who didnt want to work in a pub, Dixons or fish, had to leave and head for london or surrounds.

My mum lives in Penzance and comes to Australia for 4 weeks a year and cant wait for those 4 weeks. If you asked her, as someone who lives there now she would tell you Australia any day. The cornish are quite cliquey and most places are in a permanent state of decline, Penzance hasnt had a facelift since 1969 and when we moved in 83 it was a town with bakeries, coconut ice shops, pasty shops and WH Smiths, now its a town full of one pound shops and supermarkets on outskirts, still lovely in summer. Cornwall in Sunshine is one of the best places in the world IMO, problem is sunshine is hard to come by, so Cornwall 11 months of wet and so so or cold is a much different proposition.

Move to Melbourne...
Hi Sherro,

Sounds a little glum - Cornwall is now off the cards for me! Melbourne in january
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lunny
Hi Shellfish,

Melbourne's winters have to be an improvement on UK anyway, snow last week on the second day of official summer? come on!
Come on, you do know officialy summer is not until June, spring has only started! I thought you were supposed to be a teacher?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Come on, you do know officialy summer is not until June, spring has only started! I thought you were supposed to be a teacher?
I think it's fair to say, given a lot of comments on here over the years, that a lot of people in the UK don't know when the official start of summer is.

A lot of UK migrants seem to think the Aussie system is crazy (summer = Dec, Jan, Feb) even though it is the southern hemisphere equivalent of the EU system which has mostly supplanted the old system in the UK that officially used to start summer on Mid-Summer's Day (they still use this in some parts of North America).

Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Lol, I know, I know, just funny the way it happened the day after the clocks went back. Anyway-I teach Business Studies- Seasons aren't on the spec!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.