Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cornwall or Melbourne :)

Originally Posted by lunny
Thanks to all posters who have shared first hand experience of Cornwall. I was selected for interview for a job I'd applied for in Cornwall and withdrew.

It's decided, we're off to Melbourne, unfortunatley not until January which is ONLY 10 months away, I have no patience, but OH has said we need to save properly and try cover bills as best we can so that we don't get home to absolute financial mayhem, that would put a dampner on the whole thing. I know he's right. But grrrrrrrr 10 months

Now, how to pass the time until January?
I would spend my time traveling around as much of Britain as you can. Visit places you've never been before and old loved ones. Savour the Spring, the bird song, the beautiful green rolling hills. Cherish the rain,the sleet and the snow. Spend lots of time with your family and revel in that great British sense of humour. Just enjoy it.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:00 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I would go to the pub till December, emerge to 'enjoy' Christmas (if it's your thing) then get on a plane. All that rolling hills and stuff will still be here when you get back LOL!

Tx
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by salopian
I would spend my time traveling around as much of Britain as you can. Visit places you've never been before and old loved ones. Savour the Spring, the bird song, the beautiful green rolling hills. Cherish the rain,the sleet and the snow. Spend lots of time with your family and revel in that great British sense of humour. Just enjoy it.
Hey salopian,

Yep, will certainly make the best of the next few months - well, after I put my savings aside I won't be exactly flush, I would like to see a few places around the UK-have yet to see the lake district etc, but will have to do it on the cheap!

Savour the Spring! Lol-have you seen the snow?

My family are in Ireland so won't be seeeing them much!

And, I've saved the best til last here......compared to the Irish sense of humour, reveling in the British sense of humour won't entertain me for long
Old Mar 31st 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

lunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the roughlunny is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RedT
I would go to the pub till December, emerge to 'enjoy' Christmas (if it's your thing) then get on a plane. All that rolling hills and stuff will still be here when you get back LOL!

Tx
Hey T,

I'm liking your advice......easy know you are a Paddy aswell
I wish I had the funds to support this idea
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
And wait to you go to yet another oh so boring BBQ and all people want to discuss is how much their houses are worth,the merits of the latest Holden(car)and yes politics!Apart from a hot summer,you'll be swapping like for like!
ahhhh! but the sun makes all the difference lol

but thank you for your kind concern

and I think the aussies on this forum would not say their life is like that of those in the land of the pommies.......
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
What about a weekend in Padstow?
don't forget to take

1) padded clothing to avoid bruising from the multitude of OAP's with sight difficulties

2) a wadge of cash in case a colleague wishes to signal their status by dining in Rick Stein's "Fish for the Aspiring Middle Classes" restaurant

3) indigestion pills in case after being horrified by Stein's extortionate prices, you scuttle to a local eaterie trading off his celebrity status and are treated instead to a trip down memory lane with a 1970's style meal of half frozen prawn cocktail, soggy batter fish and trifle......

the pasties are nice he he he
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Jayne
ahhhh! but the sun makes all the difference lol

but thank you for your kind concern

and I think the aussies on this forum would not say their life is like that of those in the land of the pommies.......
I've lived in Australia for 30 years so yeah been there,got the t/shirt ect.On a more serious note,you mentioned the sun?Please use extreme caution.Both my sister and brother have both had skin cancer(sister twice!)and yes I know people in the UK get it,but its all too easy when you live in Oz to take the sun for granted and "assume"it won't happen to you.My kids (aussies)grew up there,and depending what the temp and uv factors were,the school they attended would place a ban to be outside,sensible idea I thought.So tell me?What do you think will be different in Australia?Realistically?You still have to work hard,pay bills,work with maybe people you might not like,deal with bullies at school if you have kids,you might be unlucky enough to live next door to druggies,the list goes on.The only difference is,you might spend winter next to the fire(I personally don't,we spend alot of time outside)but in Australia you spend alot of time inside with an air conditioner.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The only difference is,you might spend winter next to the fire(I personally don't,we spend alot of time outside)but in Australia you spend alot of time inside with an air conditioner.
They had the fire going in the pub I was in here in Melbourne last night!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
They had the fire going in the pub I was in here in Melbourne last night!
Well I did'nt wanna hit them with a double whammy and tell them I used to have my woodburner going 24/7 in winter as well.Shhhhhhh!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

I've lived in Australia for 30 years so yeah been there,got the t/shirt ect.On a more serious note,you mentioned the sun?Please use extreme caution.Both my sister and brother have both had skin cancer(sister twice!)and yes I know people in the UK get it,but its all too easy when you live in Oz to take the sun for granted and "assume"it won't happen to you.My kids (aussies)grew up there,and depending what the temp and uv factors were,the school they attended would place a ban to be outside,sensible idea I thought.So tell me?What do you think will be different in Australia?Realistically?You still have to work hard,pay bills,work with maybe people you might not like,deal with bullies at school if you have kids,you might be unlucky enough to live next door to druggies,the list goes on.The only difference is,you might spend winter next to the fire(I personally don't,we spend alot of time outside)but in Australia you spend alot of time inside with an air conditioner.
whereabouts in OZ are you ?-

I'm going to Melbourne.....I'm a city girl and it looks to be a decent city (on all the lists of great places to live at least)

I need work, restaurants, a decent university so there's a few leftfield thinkers around, fashion & sports, life and a mix of cultures, reasonable weather, not too much pollution

London's a great city -- but the weather and difficulty in "escaping" to open spaces can get you down a bit, I'd go back and work there again, but like trying new things...

Of course nowhere is perfect, but staying in a place whilst moaning about it surely can't be good .......life is after all a journey not a destination......
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Plus -- the pound has been tanking -- make sense to me to earn my salary in a more valuable currency...

and the UK is about to sink into a mess of strikes, cuts in public services and unemployment -- the politicians wanting the votes, are all keeping schtum apart from saying "difficult choices will have to be made" -- but the UK ain't gonna be a good place to be for the next few years....
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Sarah Jayne;8467737]Plus -- the pound has been tanking -- make sense to me to earn my salary in a more valuable currency...

and the UK is about to sink into a mess of strikes, cuts in public services and unemployment -- the politicians wanting the votes, are all keeping schtum apart from saying "difficult choices will have to be made" -- but the UK ain't gonna be a good place to be for the next few years....[/QUOT
I used to live in a country town in South Australia,but grew up in the "burbs"of Adelaide.Both my daughters(now both in early 20's)have no desire to return to Oz in the near or distant future.Do yourself a favour.Go online and around 3pm our time have a listen to radio 5aa Adelaide(google it,you'll find it easy enough).I listen to this station all the time as it keeps me up to date on whats happening back in Australia.It is of course South Australian,but callers(its a talk back show that goes all night)are'nt afraid to discuss anything,and you'll be surprised to hear whats discussed.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=livinginreality;8467791]
Plus -- the pound has been tanking -- make sense to me to earn my salary in a more valuable currency...

and the UK is about to sink into a mess of strikes, cuts in public services and unemployment -- the politicians wanting the votes, are all keeping schtum apart from saying "difficult choices will have to be made" -- but the UK ain't gonna be a good place to be for the next few years....[/QUOT
I used to live in a country town in South Australia,but grew up in the "burbs"of Adelaide.Both my daughters(now both in early 20's)have no desire to return to Oz in the near or distant future.Do yourself a favour.Go online and around 3pm our time have a listen to radio 5aa Adelaide(google it,you'll find it easy enough).I listen to this station all the time as it keeps me up to date on whats happening back in Australia.It is of course South Australian,but callers(its a talk back show that goes all night)are'nt afraid to discuss anything,and you'll be surprised to hear whats discussed.
you're not turning into Nazi fascists or anything out there are you?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Sarah Jayne;8467953]
you're not turning into Nazi fascists or anything out there are you?
No of course not!Seriously if you want to know what aussies are thinking/concerned about tune into 5aa,and have a listen.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=livinginreality;8468024]

No of course not!Seriously if you want to know what aussies are thinking/concerned about tune into 5aa,and have a listen.
mmm kay will do ---

but hey are the Melburnians different to your average aussie (as much that I read says they are, or at least, like to think they are), or is it monoculture???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.