Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Corner plots - Just curious.

Corner plots - Just curious.

Old May 22nd 2006, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Corner plots - Just curious.

I'll not (if ever) be in a position to buy land or a house for quite a while, but am just curious.

Where I live there is a load of building going on, but it's ALWAYS the corner plots that are left till last, and I was just wondering what the story is with them ?!

I seem to recall it's to do with the boundaries or something, but am just curious if someone can fill me in.

As I say, there's lots of building goin on but pretty much every corner plot is still just an empty piece of land ...
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:23 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corner plots - Just curious.

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I'll not (if ever) be in a position to buy land or a house for quite a while, but am just curious.

Where I live there is a load of building going on, but it's ALWAYS the corner plots that are left till last, and I was just wondering what the story is with them ?!

I seem to recall it's to do with the boundaries or something, but am just curious if someone can fill me in.

As I say, there's lots of building goin on but pretty much every corner plot is still just an empty piece of land ...
I've no idea Paul..but one thing I have noticed with corner plots is that they always get the worse graffiti
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a corner plot and you are right, we are the last to build That is just how it worked out.
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Teliko21
We have a corner plot and you are right, we are the last to build That is just how it worked out.
I'm sure there's more to it than this, and NOT so you can grafitti it ...

Oh and the few round here that HAVE been built on seem to have duplex's on them ...
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:51 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure there's more to it than this, and NOT so you can grafitti it ...

Oh and the few round here that HAVE been built on seem to have duplex's on them ...
No you daft monkey.....people may be reluctant to buy conrner plots cos they get damaged by kids.

The other thing is that any fence repairs on corner plots and the cost is down to the one owner, whereas with neighbours it's shared.

The third is that corner plots tend to have odd shaped gardens.

These are perhaps some of the reasons why corner plots are not as popular?

I don't know ....just trying to help throw some light on it <shrugs shoulders>
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you have to be setback a certain distance from both sides.

Also I would imagine fencing costs you more as you'll have more which belongs to you?
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Building regs state that the house cannot be built within a certain distance of any kerbside boundary. I can't remember the exact details, but basically a corner plot isn't desirable as you are quite limited to build size
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall this being mentioned on TV. Think it was down to the regulations regarding the distance of your property to the pavement. If you're on a corner block then you lose a fair chunk of your block to these regulations, thus giving you either less space to build on, or a smaller garden.
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
Building regs state that the house cannot be built within a certain distance of any kerbside boundary. I can't remember the exact details, but basically a corner plot isn't desirable as you are quite limited to build size
Not always All that is limiting us is our building envelope as if we build outside of it we will have to apply for a building permit.

Last edited by Teliko21; May 22nd 2006 at 10:58 am.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Aussies love the sound of farting from 2 directions.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Aussies love the sound of farting from 2 directions.
LOL, I knew I'd get the right / true answer eventually.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:22 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068

Also I would imagine fencing costs you more as you'll have more which belongs to you?
Rule of thumb here is that you can expect to pay for half the cost of the average fence in the area. Negotiate with neighbours as to costs, though you should be prepared to pay more for expensive types of fences ie colourbond panel, paling, compared to chain wire fences.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:25 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Not always All that is limiting us is our building envelope as if we build outside of it we will have to apply for a building permit.
Not sure about Vic regs, but in Qld if you don't have a council permit to build anything, regardless they are within their rights to have it demolished.
Old May 22nd 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Not sure about Vic regs, but in Qld if you don't have a council permit to build anything, regardless they are within their rights to have it demolished.
That sucks! Our original siting had the main bedroom outside the envelope so we would have had to get permission for it but instead we just moved the house over a few metres and now we don't need it

Is a good thing actually, it seems there is a permit for everything except sneezing
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Corner plots - Just curious.

I was just as confused when I came to the UK and discovered that corner plots are actually preferred!

In Australia, corner plots are shunned because they get twice the traffic, tend to be awkward shapes (and therefore difficult to build on), have little or no privacy, leave your house exposed to two roads instead of one, and can present difficulties when it comes to certain building restrictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.