Reload this Page >

Coping with the Aussie heat?

Coping with the Aussie heat?

Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

katey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coping with the Aussie heat?

Hi

I'm writing an article on the hottest (temperature wise) places to live in Australia and would love to hear from anyone that has emigrated to find out how you have coped with the high temperatures, or alternatively anyone that is intending to emigrate who is worried/looking forward to the heat!

Just reply in this thread! Personally I like it hot and loved the Aussie weather while I was travelling there. I got badly burnt in Cairns (despite being very careful wearing factor 30 and a tshirt when I was snorkelling) but that was the only negative effective that the weather had at all (apart from when it rained non-stop while me and my boyfriend were staying in the rainforest but that's getting off track ...). I don't really find the heat to draining!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:08 pm
Oz won't no whats hit em!

lindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Coping with the Aussie heat?

Originally Posted by katey
Hi

I'm writing an article on the hottest (temperature wise) places to live in Australia and would love to hear from anyone that has emigrated to find out how you have coped with the high temperatures, or alternatively anyone that is intending to emigrate who is worried/looking forward to the heat!

Just reply in this thread! Personally I like it hot and loved the Aussie weather while I was travelling there. I got badly burnt in Cairns (despite being very careful wearing factor 30 and a tshirt when I was snorkelling) but that was the only negative effective that the weather had at all (apart from when it rained non-stop while me and my boyfriend were staying in the rainforest but that's getting off track ...). I don't really find the heat to draining!
Hiya,

I agree with you, i love the aussie heat, and am dying to get back out there for some more.
I think anyone emmigrating to oz would have to be prepared for the heat, and if they can't cope with heat, then just not go. after all its a hot country.

take care x
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Coping with the Aussie heat?

In 1986 I left Rochester in the middle of a freezing December, and landed in Sydney which was OK weather wise, and I immediately went for for a short holiday to an Island in QLD, and it was HOT !!

Too hot for me to handle at the time.. Well, the change was 1 foot of snow to 40C heat.

Back in Sydney I was OK again, but scared to head back up north !!

Eventually I did try it again, and it was not the same temperature difference range, so the heat was acceptable. I now live here quite comfortably.

Moving from UK winter -5 to 40+ gives a very different feeling to say, moving from UK summer at 25C to SE QLD Winter at 20C.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

The heat was easy to get used to; it's the cold I am now having difficulties with! When Winter comes in Australia it feels freezing to me even though it's about 16 degrees. I grew up in Scotland!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:36 am
aussie73

Not much heat down here in Victoria. Recently there was -0c to 5c degrees temperatures and snow over much of the state.

Last edited by aussie73; Aug 31st 2005 at 2:38 am.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Katey, if you want to learn about hot places in Australia do a search for Marble Bar, Western Australia.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:03 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lindaclaire
Hiya,

I agree with you, i love the aussie heat, and am dying to get back out there for some more.
I think anyone emmigrating to oz would have to be prepared for the heat, and if they can't cope with heat, then just not go. after all its a hot country.

take care x
I detest the heat and we're headed for WA!!

But when your husband's job is at stake, and it's Oz or no job, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of choice in the matter....

However, I'm going to give it my best shot - and no doubt I will acclimatise. Everyone keeps telling me that WA heat is different to English *heat* and I'm willing to believe it.

Sue
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:18 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I usually carry ice cubes in my underpants - hope this helps.

Paul.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
Does it ?

Old Aug 31st 2005, 4:25 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.

When they melt does it not just look like you've wet yourself?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:13 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
When they melt does it not just look like you've wet yourself?
Nope, that's when I take my clothes off.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lindaclaire
Hiya,

take care x
I love the heat. My friends who been there 7 yrs now hated the heat especially in the first year, but came acclimatised to it. We were there at Easter time (Oz autumn) I’m in my shorts at evening time, she got jeans, shirt, cardigon and the gas fire on moaning that it is cold and will get colder. (Yeah right it was 22 degrees). So don’t anyone be put off by the heat, you will adapt (hopefully)
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Hi

What heat? (I live in Melbourne )
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:18 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Working and installing Air Conditioning all day every day, and enduring the heat is one thing. I have literally had sweat dripping from my eyeballs.

The heat is intense, and with little or no wind during the summer months it can get " work wise " uncomfortable. Specially when its high 30's+

However as I have explained to mates back in the Uk.

Its easier to live in a cold climate. The reason being you can get warmer easier. However in a hot climate getting cooler can be very awkward.

The humidity is the thing that is possibly most discomforting.

Last summer, I was working on a building site, and had my tool box open. A readygas, plumbers cannister exploded in the heat.

I have also had times when my stanley screwdrivers have gone "floppy" lol due to the heat

Whats more invigorating are our summer storms. Absolutely spectacular, and FAST.

Wife was out having summer brekkie on a sunday in May She had stayed with her girlfriends in strathpine.

It was 8am about 24 degrees and rising.....

At 9am they get a fone call HELP !!!!!!!! They shot over to another friends home, and her garden was devastated by HAIL!!!!

Its amazing HAIL here is DEADLY !!!!

Link Here