Mosquitos-help

Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mosquitos-help

Can anyone help me, my hubby and son get eaten alive by the mossy's here.
My hubby was only outside talking for about 30mins the other night , and he got bitten 4 times on the hand and it is so swollen now. My 11 yr old reacts really bad to them also, i would really like a natural remedy if anyone knows of one, but any other advice would be very welcome.
I really worry about Ross river virus, which a lot of people seem to suffer from here in WA south west.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:43 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mosquitos-help

Originally Posted by cranni
My hubby was only outside talking for about 30mins the other night , and he got bitten 4 times on the hand and it is so swollen now. My 11 yr old reacts really bad to them also, i would really like a natural remedy if anyone knows of one, but any other advice would be very welcome.
I really worry about Ross river virus, which a lot of people seem to suffer from here in WA south west.
Make sure there is no standing water in your garden/vicinity of your house. No half full buckets, no bird baths etc.

The only repellant i have found that works is called Bushmans, and its not a natural remidy by a long shot. Lots of good old fashioned DEET i believe. Its not really for everyday use. I get bitten a fair bit in summer. They seem to like the grass, as i get bitten around my ankles alot when i wear shorts and sit outside.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i don't think there is much you can do.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

I don't know any treatments (apart from Antihistamine stuff) but for a 'natural' alternative to the Deet type products, Avon's Skin So Soft is renowned for its mossie/midge repellant qualities. God knows whats it in but it works.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:01 am
ABCDiamond

Repelling Mosquitoes Naturally

Plants and Herbs grown in many gardens today have the potential to repel mosquitoes. They can be used in a variety of ways, but care should be taken, as some people can be sensitive to these plants.

Nature’s Solutions

Pelargonium Citrosa (citrus geranium)
This plant can be grown in gardens or in pots. They offer localised protection against mosquitoes by releasing a citronella scent. They grow to around 1.3 metres in height and are ideal for BBQ areas and verandahs.

Pennyroyal, Marigold, Basil and Rue
Plant these species in pots near doorways and windows. The leaves of these plants can be rubbed onto the skin.

Mint and Garlic
Mint and garlic can be used as an all-purpose insecticide. Use in a spray with equal parts of mint, lavender, onion and garlic. Cover with water for 24 hours, strain and spray around mosquito prone areas.

Are There Any Natural Ways of Repelling Mosquitoes?
YES. There are many natural measures, including plants and oils. It should be noted that these natural methods have been found not to be as effective as the insect repellents that include DIETHYL TOLUAMIDE (DEET).

Plants That Have Been Idenitified To Repel Mosquitoes Include:

Mozzie Blocker (Leptospermum liversidgei) - a native plant which effectively repels mosquitoes within about a 3 metre radius.

Citronella Geranium (Pelargonium citrosum) - when pruned releases a citronella scent.

Pyrethrum (Chrysanthemum cinerarifolium) - flowering plant recognised as a mosquito deterrent.

Rose Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) - plant oil repels mosquitoes.

Lads Love (Artemisia abrotanum)

Several Herbs Have Been Recognised as Insect Repellents, Including:
Southernwood (Artemisia abrotanum)
Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)
Rue (Ruta graveolens)
Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)
Rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis)
Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium)
Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris)
Infuse the leaves in boiling water, cool, strain and then place the resulting liquid in a spray bottle, then spray around you.

Basil (Ocimum spp.) grown in pots in a barbecue area or near an open door or window will keep flies and mosquitoes away

and
Pest Repelling Plant info at: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s328661.htm

Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

another user of bushmans when they are down in their swarms.

Don't believe everything you read regarding you grow immune to them. I have been out of Britain for over 13 yrs ( I always did react badly to midges in the Uk too) , and been bitten countless of times by mozzies over the years( I actually go into mozzie areas where they are by the millions/billions at dusk etc ). I still react badly to them even after 13 yrs of been bitten by them, where my hubby doesn't, the itch goes in a matter of minutes with him, where it takes well over a week for mine to go.

it's your immune system just fighting any foreign invaders - ie doing it's doing it's job

natural remedies and weak sprays work fine if it is just for the odd mosquito in your back yard, it - by the absolute millions/billions no, you need industrial type of cream which I have found Bushmans to be the best.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Get a really good "yard guard" one of those 1/2 acre jobs at least. It's one of those electronic blue light things that zaps the mozzies with electricity, or if you prefer they have ones that attract with light, and use a extractor fan to keep them trapped.

They do work, however takes about 2-3 weeks, before they become 100 pct or thereabouts effective.

Best get two, one for the front of the house and one for the back.

One of the best things I've bought for ensuring comfort outside my house.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Also my Hayfever remedy takes care of most of the itch, I did suffer badly from mozzie bites until I developed really bad hayfever, Now antihistamines in the Hfever remedy take care of most of the bad side affects.

About the only benefit I ever received from getting Hayfever lol.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PeteY
I get bitten a fair bit in summer. They seem to like the grass, as i get bitten around my ankles alot when i wear shorts and sit outside.
Not sure exactly how to say this, so I'll just quote the bit and let you work it out for yourself

It is suggested that people with smelly feet may actually be the preferred target for a mosquito!

Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:12 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Get a really good "yard guard" one of those 1/2 acre jobs at least. It's one of those electronic blue light things that zaps the mozzies with electricity, or if you prefer they have ones that attract with light, and use a extractor fan to keep them trapped.

They do work, however takes about 2-3 weeks, before they become 100 pct or thereabouts effective.

I bought one of those. Certainly worked for me! I also use one of those coils that you light and I hang that from under the table where my feet go!
Ironically, in the UK and when I visited "warmer" countries across the globe, I never got bitten by the mossies. Now I live here, they go for me big time! I reckon my blood was full of UK pollution and that's why the mossies stayed away. I am detoxed from those chemicals now so reckon they just get my sweet blood (and alcohol!).

Andrew
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:27 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure exactly how to say this, so I'll just quote the bit and let you work it out for yourself

It is suggested that people with smelly feet may actually be the preferred target for a mosquito!

Hehe! I actually knew that, but i promise i don't have cheesers. Im guessing its just because the blood vessels are closer to the skin at the ankles/wrists/elbows, hence the mozzies find them easier to target.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 4:56 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

The best thing I've found is a cream called Aristocort, but it does contain cortisone and is available only on prescription from your doctor.
As a deterrent, I mix either citronella or geranium oil with Johnson's baby oil and apply liberally.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:47 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Hiya,

Do you connect them to the mains, or are they battery driven.

Cheers
A
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:55 am
A Male Member

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hiya,

Cheers
A
The decent ones are normally mains. There was a brand called "sectarid" about 20 years ago. Dont' know if they are still going...
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hiya,

Cheers
A

Battery ones are not very good!
You can get mains ones from Bunnings or mail order on http://www.seton.net.au/product_deta...uct_detail.cfm

Andrew
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

We are not in Australia but we do get a lot of mossys here. My daughter swears by garlic capsules, she takes one per day (the odorless type) and never gets bitten. I haven't tried them myself because I react really badly to the bites and I daren't take the risk of venturing out after dusk without covering my exposed flesh with deet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.