Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coomera Waters...North Gold Coast

Wikiposts

Coomera Waters...North Gold Coast

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coomera Waters...North Gold Coast

Originally Posted by SAO68
Hi - we have been living at Coomera Waters for 3 months. We are renting and did not realise until we moved in the restrictions you have. The estate is run by a body corporate so you HAVE to use their nominated company for the telephone and internet service and it is not cheap. There are two recreation clubs which you become a member of which have tennis courts, swimming pools and gyms. If you buy on this estate then you pay a certain amount for the privilege of using them. So far as schools are concerned it depends on the ages of your children. I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old who is due to start school next year. I looked at the school near Dreamworld and was not happy with it purely for its location. This is a primary school and takes them to Year 7. I could not use the school that is to open at Coomera Springs because we are at the wrong side of the motorway and you cannot use Upper Coomera State School if you live at Coomera Waters. I have now put my Son in at Ormeau school which is about a 15 minute drive for me. If your children are older then there are some private schools and not sure on the jurisdiction so far as Helensvale is concerned. It is quiet living on this estate but there is a shop, tavern and a Doctors has recently opened. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask and I will try and answer them but as many people say what suits one person does not necessarily suit another but I hope I have helped a little.
Hi, I'm really interested in your comment as my family have just come back from the Gold Coast (we were validating our PR Visas) and we really liked Coomera Waters, but I am concerend about mozzies now as a friend of mine caught Ross River virus whilst living in Sanctuary Cove and she will never get rid of that, and its pretty nasty. So if there are mozzies around Coomera Waters they may turn out to be more than just a nuisance.
Does anyone know if the Genesis development also has the same problems?
And re schools, does anyone know what schools the Genesis development is in the catchment area of? I really wouldn't want to have to drive 15 mins for a primary school as you say you are doing.
I wonder whether being the other side of the Pacific Highway ie Coomera Springs or Sommerton Ridge, is a better bet for mozzies and midges? Does anyone know? I heard they don't go more than 70m from their breeding place...I am starting to think being on the Coomera Springs side would be better than either Genesis or Coomera Waters, from the schooling point of view although I understand that perhaps that side isn't quite as desirable as the Coomera Waters side (thats from a property guide I read - correct me if I am wrong please!).
Lastly, where else would people recommend further south along that train line?
Sorry so many questions...need to know!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

One word.....AEROGUARD!!!!!.......

On the Gold Coast anywhere with 'Waters' attached to the name is good for mozzies AND midges!.ie Coomera Waters, Mermaid Waters, Burleigh Waters, Broadbeach Waters, etc They are all built on and around the canals which are a breeding ground for midges if there is a hint of sand, the midges breed in the sand.

We moved to Mermaid Waters and live right on a canal. We cant go outside after 3pm as the midges just eat us alive. The bite is really itchy and lasts for ages. Apparently you build up an immunity to them over time but we have only lived here for 8 months so no immunity here yet!!

And yes, mozzies love swamp land! I have heard that Helensvale also suffer with midges really bad and i have also heard that Coomera Waters is shocking for them.

Wonder what bayside Brisbane is like for mozzies and midges?

Mozzies are easier to cope with than bloody midges though. Midges are that tiny that insect screens dont keep them out of the house. I hate midges!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:40 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
Mozzies are easier to cope with than bloody midges though. Midges are that tiny that insect screens dont keep them out of the house. I hate midges!!

Agree with that sentiment. The nature of the Gold Coast coming from nothing to the size it is today means that all the new development is on land which has been untouched before. The previous occupants mozzies, midges, spiders, termites have not been evicted just moved. So if you desire a waterfront home odds are you will share it with the former tenants, or are interested in a new estate just because the developer ads encourage 'outdoor living' dont be surprised that you will be sharing it with others!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:48 am
Just Joined

paulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nicepaulc696 is just really nice

Hi

We are looking to move to mountain creek in June. visa pending!!!

does this area have the same problem with mozzies/midges??

Any advice would be appreciated

michelle
(sunny blackpool!!!)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:19 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
One word.....AEROGUARD!!!!!.......

On the Gold Coast anywhere with 'Waters' attached to the name is good for mozzies AND midges!.ie Coomera Waters, Mermaid Waters, Burleigh Waters, Broadbeach Waters, etc They are all built on and around the canals which are a breeding ground for midges if there is a hint of sand, the midges breed in the sand.

We moved to Mermaid Waters and live right on a canal. We cant go outside after 3pm as the midges just eat us alive. The bite is really itchy and lasts for ages. Apparently you build up an immunity to them over time but we have only lived here for 8 months so no immunity here yet!!

And yes, mozzies love swamp land! I have heard that Helensvale also suffer with midges really bad and i have also heard that Coomera Waters is shocking for them.

Wonder what bayside Brisbane is like for mozzies and midges?

Agreed. Don't live too near the canals and you'll be right. The same goes for most places. We're in Southport.Some parts are good for mozzies, other parts are bad.

Friends live on the water in Sorrento - beautiful home ect, but mozzies drive them nuts.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

are there any areas to live in the north Gold Coast that don,t have a mozzie/midge problem?
my college is in Coomera ,so arriving this december could do without itching all christmas.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shark bait
are there any areas to live in the north Gold Coast that don,t have a mozzie/midge problem?
my college is in Coomera ,so arriving this december could do without itching all christmas.
Hi

We are in Upper Coomera, within a couple of minutes of about 4 or 5 differenct schools. I think that you will always have some issues with mozzies wherever you are however, we found that it is manageable where we live, some nights we can sit out and not be bothered, but some nights there are a few around. Although there are not that many to cause us too much concern if we remember to light the mozzie candles and put on a bit of repellant.

I have also heard that Coomera Waters is particularly bad, but I guess that depends on how close you are to the water.

Julia
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Sandy Moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brasso
Hi anyone out there who knows anything about Coomera Waters, north Gold Coast area?.. I have been living on the Sunshine Coast for the last 3 years, but circumstances dictate that we move further south... looked at their web site and have all their brochures, but just wondered if there was anyone out there who either lived there or knew much about it and the schools in the area as there are a few to choose from. Good or bad feedback is most appreciated as hope to be moving in the first few months of the new year(fingers crossed)... thanks in advance.. Maggie x
Hi Maggie,
Did you get the info you required?
I know a fair bit about the area and am happy to help should you need.
I can be contacted on the mobile number below - I am currently working for LJHooker so I have some up to date info on prices etc. etc.
Regards
Sandy Moore
<<snip>>

Last edited by Sue; Apr 4th 2008 at 1:05 pm. Reason: Tel phone no removed. Its not wise to post your telephone number on public forum.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

If you wear repellent and keep the screens closed you won't have a problems with midges.
Coomera Waters is a really nice area. A bit more expensive than Upper Coomera but the land is larger the houses are more spaced out and there is a nice community feel. I like the Body Corp as it means that the area is kept immaculate and you get the Gym etc. PM me if you have any more questions x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Kingsly will become famous soon enough

Im an Aussi, so im not really sure why im on this site, but i have been reading what some of you guys have said. Maybe i can give you some help. I live in Coomera Waters, on the canal!

The houses here are all new, with more and more people moving in. We live right next to some brits. You guys are right about the mozzies and midgies...they are a pain in the ass. But "Aeroguard" Tropical Strength, destroys the threat of these little bastards.

Get into the habbit of putting it on in the morning when u wake up. It only takes a minute, and your safe for 6 hours. Get your vitamin B, that will keep the away as well.

As for the community, from what i know the people are freindly, but there is not so many people around my age (19), which might be perfect for most of you. There is the "Tavern" in the middle of the community, which gets quite loud on weekends. But other than that, this place is kinda quiet.

The Weather is awesome, the rain leaves as quickly as it comes. The only problems we have come across so far is the monopoly like system they have here with phones and internet services.

You will have to join up with Pivit, which is a lil expensive, dont get me wrong the connection they give you is A++, its faster than 99% of the worlds connection speed. But ye, a lil more than normal. There is no other option either.

The GYM, is not exactly huge, in fact more than 10 people and its looking a little crowded. Two Tennis Courts (which noone really uses) and a pool for laps.

Some cool features: Most of the houses have pools. Most of the pools have lights that change colours (very important for coolness)...and there are shops and all very close by.

However if your my age, i have not found anything to do here. So be prepared to just sit in the sun all day. Or send me a message! If you guys need help with anything...lemme know, i will do my best.

-----------------
The Mozzies and Midgies aren't really that annoying after u been here awhile, the bites seem to stop. Plus we got a heli that dumps insect shit over the community to stop any buggies from getting ya.
Peace!!!