Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contraception/ Birth Control Question?

Contraception/ Birth Control Question?

Old Dec 18th 2005, 7:14 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Contraception/ Birth Control Question?

Asking this on behalf of Caz......

As most of you 'ladies' know, the pill is available free of charge in the UK. Is this the case in Australia, if not, what is the cost?

Also, would like to know how you go about obtaining it, do you 'have' to make an appt at your GP's or can you just pop into any family planning clinic (as C does now)?

All advice greatly appreciated - as always
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:12 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contraception/ Birth Control Question?

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

As most of you 'ladies' know, the pill is available free of charge in the UK. Is this the case in Australia, if not, what is the cost?

Also, would like to know how you go about obtaining it, do you 'have' to make an appt at your GP's or can you just pop into any family planning clinic (as C does now)?

Just go for the chop mate!

There - taken care of!

No, seriously, you will have to pay but can't help with the details as marched hubby off for an appointment with two bricks for that very reason before we left the UK!

Binbird
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:15 am
ABCDiamond

She needs to visit the GP, get a prescription, and then pay for it.

Can't recall the normal costs.

You do get a fair bit back from Medicare on the "chop"

Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:16 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird
Just go for the chop mate!

There - taken care of!

No, seriously, you will have to pay but can't help with the details as marched hubby off for an appointment with two bricks for that very reason before we left the UK!

Binbird
No bloody fear mate!!!

Running scared now
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:20 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

No bloody fear mate!!!

Running scared now
I'd given birth to his three children so it was the least he could do in return!

Maybe you don't have kids yet and this discussion will be relevant for you a few years down the line?!

Enough time for you to pluck up the courage maybe?!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:36 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I went a month ago for the first time and when it came to getting the pills she asked me "what could i afford" I kid you not

I asked what the diff was and she said some just contain less chemicals etc than others and the new one out could even help you loose weight if your hormone levels were a bit askew!

Of course me being a sucker went for that option and it cost me $62.50 for 3 packs
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I thought I would drop my 2c into this post!

For any contraceptive pill, you will need to visit the GP. As far as I am aware, there are no other ways to get it. This is fairly easy to do as you can visit any Dr here in Oz... there is no obligation to stay with one Dr as the NHS in the UK encourages you to do.

The Dr's fee will probably be between $35 and $60 depending on where you live. Some of that cost (around $25) will be refunded by Medicare if you are eligible for it (ie Australian citizen or PR or have PR application pending).

The pharmacy will then charge you for the pill. Its not free like in the UK. The exact charge will depend on which pill it is, and your status in terms of entitlement to concession/healthcare cards.

If you have a healthcare/concession card, then the most you will pay will be $4.60 (not including any brand surcharges if they apply). If you don't have a healthcare card (and most new immigrants to Oz won't), then you have to pay the full cost of the medication upto a maximum of $28.60. Is this starting to sound complicated yet?!?

Most pills cost around $17.00. ie Microgynon 30 - 4 months. However, there are some that the government does not subsidise, and these can cost upto $60.00. The way to check is to ask the prescribing Dr if the pill is covered by the PBS or not. If it is covered by the PBS, then the most you will pay is $28.60 for any drug. If it is not covered, then you could end up paying big bucks. Check with the Dr.

I hope this helps! I know its long winded... but then thats the situation with drugs and Dr's in Australia. Complicated.

Regards,
Keith.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:20 am
ABCDiamond

Try http://www.epharmacy.com.au for prices

Levlen ED is one type, currently $13.45 for 4 months

also
Monofeme Tablets 4 x 28 $13.45
Nordette 28 Tablets 4x28 $25.25
Microgynon 30 ED Tablets 4 x 28 $25.55

Find a doctor that bulk bills, and you pay nothing other than the $13.45.

Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Try http://www.epharmacy.com.au for prices

Levlen ED is one type, currently $13.45 for 4 months

also
Monofeme Tablets 4 x 28 $13.45
Nordette 28 Tablets 4x28 $25.25
Microgynon 30 ED Tablets 4 x 28 $25.55

Find a doctor that bulk bills, and you pay nothing other than the $13.45.
I have what they call a depo injection once every 3 months, free in the uk, but have been informed that it's about $16 in oz, hope this helps. I cannot take the pill hence the injection. Lol
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Mate-not much for free in Oz :scared: barr the sunshine....

My wife is expecting and for every doctor visit we pay $55 then go to medicare and claim back $40...

BUT although you pay for it,the service is good-no week long wait to see a doc,blood results returned AM next day....well worth it.

As for contraception...hmmm keep it in your pocket :scared: he he he...

Cheers KB
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:58 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you did say *all advice*....

So - for the sake of Caz's body now, and that of the babies you may have in the future, and because it doesn't cost a brass farthing - go for natural!

http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/fam.htm

Best way!

Sue
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna

So - for the sake of Caz's body now, and that of the babies you may have in the future, and because it doesn't cost a brass farthing - go for natural!

Best way!

Sue
My mobile phone has a "pink calculator" that tells you when not to erm... you know!.

Whatever next?

Wendy
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Best way!

Sue
Amen! Conceived when we wanted to, didn't when we didn't, and all free as a bird! Easy to learn and useful for life.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by binbird
I'd given birth to his three children so it was the least he could do in return!
Same here! ... well kinda!?

SHE has given me 3 children so I felt as we knew we 100% didn't want any more, in I went! ... :scared:

Was nothing to be honest, a lil snip here and there, a tie up here and there and a couple of stiches here and there!

Just a little pain here and there after for a week or so tho!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

Best way!

Sue
Thats all well and good.....BUT, what happens when the mood takes you (as it does us frequently) and it's the wrong time of the month?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.