Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

contemplating Australia

contemplating Australia

Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:54 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: contemplating Australia

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
NEWSFLASH... Australia is where Australians live. Most Australians like to know what's going on in AUSTRALIA. The way you guys are carrying on you'd think that there's no world news on TV, and remember that you're talking about free to air TV, not 24 hour news channels. If you're missing news about the UK then I can understand that, but why would you expect Aussie news channels to devote much time to UK news? (major events excepted - and they ARE covered - the London bombing ad naseum, Iraq nightly, etc etc).
How about some perspective, how much news about home do you think an Aussie living in the UK gets? SFA! While I was living in London I could have been excused for thinking that Australia had fallen off the map. I now live in Bangkok, so the only news I get is the BBC and CNN on cable TV. Both call themselves 'world' news but they are heavily flavoured toward their country of origin - which is what I'd expect. I hear this same criticism coming from expats in all parts of the world - try living in the US and watching FTA TV... Wait until the Olympics comes around again.... I guarantee that there will be endless complaints on here that there's no coverage of anything unless Aussie is competing. Well hello, the country would riot if the networks did anything else... (and yes, I was in the UK during an Olympics and no, there was bugger all coverage of anything without England in it - again, as I'd expect)
Understand, but I wasn't asking for UK news....I mentioned WORLD news....
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:29 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

The way you guys are carrying on you'd think that there's no world news on TV
After being here a coupla years I guess the Palastinean crisis ended 2 years ago and everyones happy in Israel. You'd sort of get that picture from the news coverage . One example of many. Personally it dosn't bother me but theres no point trying to defend Australian news coverage and TV. Its shite. End of! Its not a comparison thing either its just shite.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:35 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fnord
I personally don't think Akron has that opinion because he's not Aussie. I'm a Kiwi who has spent 12 years in London and I think NZ TV is crap. I have sampled OZ TV and is seems to me to be just a few steps up from NZ TV: still rubbish compared to UK TV. My colleague in London, Aussie born and bred, also agrees about OZ TV. On the whole, it's of a poorer standard. You'll just have to accept our opinion as being the correct opinion . But hey, it's what you'd expect given the size, wealth, talent pool and history of each country's media. And, as I mentioned before, bad TV is something I'm looking forward to. Sorry Soi, but Oz can't be great at everything... at least, not yet .
I know it isn't, and I hope that isn't how I come across. I am just trying to introduce some perspective on here. I'd like to think that I have an insight into the expat mindset since I am one myself. I've lived and worked in the UK (London) and I now live and work in Thailand. A LOT of the moaning I hear on these forums is the same stuff I hear in Bangkok coming from the expats. What cheeses me off is that it comes out on these forums as criticisms of Australia and Australians (who are a very diverse lot let's remember) when in fact what people are probably experiencing is culture shock. Maybe I'm wasting my time, but I feel compelled to offer an alternative point of view.

Right, back to TV. There is some absolute crap on Oz TV I admit. There is also a lot of advertising but remember, Australia is a big country. Because of that, it has a lot of FTA TV cannels in comparison with the UK which has a lot less due to its denser population and smaller size. Perth (which is the only Aussie city that I've lived in) has three commercial TV channels (7,9 & 10), Two national channels (ABC and SBS) and one public channel (31). The quality that is there gets spread pretty thin, as do the advertising dollars I suspect - hence the constant interruptions to what decent programming there is.

Anyway, there's plenty of options to watching TV all night.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:40 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kendodd
Understand, but I wasn't asking for UK news....I mentioned WORLD news....
Sure, but what world news do you think is missing? Given FTA news bulletins are only 1/2 an hour (including sport and weather) then I don't see where there's much room for anything but the main world events - and these DO get reported.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:48 pm
Gone surfin'

Originally Posted by HUP
After being here a coupla years I guess the Palastinean crisis ended 2 years ago and everyones happy in Israel. You'd sort of get that picture from the news coverage . One example of many. Personally it dosn't bother me but theres no point trying to defend Australian news coverage and TV. Its shite. End of! Its not a comparison thing either its just shite.
Kinda like UK sport then? I disagree with you on Palestine, it gets more than enough coverage - How many times can you report the same story? (and that's what the Palestine conflict has been - the same story repeated over and over. It will remain so until the Israelis, their US backers and the Palestinians are serious about resolving it)

Last edited by Soi Oz; Jul 12th 2005 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 5:27 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, but what world news do you think is missing? Given FTA news bulletins are only 1/2 an hour (including sport and weather) then I don't see where there's much room for anything but the main world events - and these DO get reported.
OK, I stand corrected.

But I still can't explain why, after watching Sky news, that somehow it seems that they have put it across better. Even the Aussie skynews is better than the news on abc, they just seem to cover events better and in a more even way. Sorry if I think that!!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:23 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I stand corrected.

But I still can't explain why, after watching Sky news, that somehow it seems that they have put it across better. Even the Aussie skynews is better than the news on abc, they just seem to cover events better and in a more even way. Sorry if I think that!!
I Think Australian news is more like small town newspapers, very little actual journalism. There is almost no investigative journalism out here so govenment and other public bodies can get away with almost anything and not have it picked up by the media. I wish I had a way of getting some of the radio news stories on here, because you'll see what I mean. A typical cross exam of a politician goes something like.... (Rep)Don't you think that idea the govs putting forward is a bit crap.....(Gov) No we've done a study and its a really good idea....(Rep) Ok then....next story.... Theres no comparison to something like BBC news and any of the news broadcasts over here. Ok so maybe the BBC does spend a lot of coverage on Iraq and Palistine but thats because its still ongoing and our soldiers are still getting killed. Out here if there is any coverage at all its only when it involves Australia in the story. Anything else is glossed over. If I was to be synical I'd say the only reason the london bombings were covered was because there were some australian casualties. The news here is very much 'me myself and I'
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by arkon
If I was to be synical I'd say the only reason the london bombings were covered was because there were some australian casualties. The news here is very much 'me myself and I'
There was blanket coverage here well before any casualities were known to be Australian.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 7:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Latest ABC news: http://www.abc.net.au/news/
Latest Headlines
Bomb hits Sunni mosque in Iraq 16:00 AEST
Patel extradition delay 'not unreasonable' 16:00 AEST
Study focuses on mental health needs 16:00 AEST

World
Aust sends troops back to Afghanistan
Three-way train crash kills scores in Pakistan
Shuttle launch 'a go' after falling tile repaired

Australia
Aust sends troops back to Afghanistan
London bomb victims remembered in Canberra service
Patel extradition delay 'not unreasonable'

Business
Personal borrowing falls 3pc
Professor challenges IR productivity claims
Survey fails to dent PM's Telstra determination

Latest BBC News from http://news.bbc.co.uk/
Bomb hunt focuses on masterminds
Over 100 killed in Pakistan crash
Shuttle launch still on schedule

OTHER TOP STORIES
US hails energy offer to N Korea
Australia troops for Afghanistan
Israel seals off West Bank, Gaza
US opposes UN reform plan
New ministers appointed in Brazil
WFP ultimatum over Somali ship

Old Jul 12th 2005, 7:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I stand corrected.

Hey, Kendodd, you still here? Why haven't you gone back to the UK yet seeing as how much you obviously hate it here?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 9:30 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

The world agrees, Oz TV is rubbish :

http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2005/02...tv_still_sucks
http://stupidaussies.curvedspaces.com/tv.htm
http://www.celebchaos.com/oztvdiscussion.htm
http://www.brainbox.com.au/members/b...E?opendocument

Random quotes from these websites obviously written by level-headed, right-thinkers (particularly "Fatpie" who also has a lot to say about the Aussie accent, Aussie music and how "Australia was built on a deserted island in 1984":

"Neighbours - This has been running every day for 92 years and every episode was written by Rolf Harris"

"we just fill our mandatory local content quotas with endless soaps, painfully bad sitcoms and recycled American reality-TV concepts. Badly recycled."

"City slickers forget that country viewers are even worse off and shows are at different episodes in different cities even so it's all over the place to start with."

"Aussie commercial TV stations are like American ones without the imagination or the budget. A two hour movie quickly turns into a four hour marathon once you add in the commercials."
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:27 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else noticed that there is no advert break between the programmes?

A.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 1:56 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Has anyone else noticed that there is no advert break between the programmes?

A.
What and spoil the adverts! Did anyone see the *news* tonight where they did a real piece of investigative journalism to find out if the complaint that the adverts were louder than the programs was true and therefore illegal? They concluded that it was caused by ‘compression’ and although scientifically proven by an expert that the adverts were 3db higher it was not actually louder!!! LOL ROFL LOL LOL You’ve got to hand it to them out here they can *prove* black is white!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:11 am
ABCDiamond

That program on the adverts was interesting, in that it showed there is a legal maximum noise factor, and the adverts do not exceed it, so they stay within the law.

The law actually states that the adverts cannot go higher than the maximum allowed noise factor for any standard TV program.

However, the normal TV programs rarely reach that maximum, other than Load Screams, Airplane engine noise, etc etc, whereas "some" of the Advert producers happily admitted that they try to get the maximum allowed volume throughout as much of the advert as they can, called compression.

Personally I don't worry about it, as I have a mute button on my remote control

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:43 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by arkon
What and spoil the adverts! Did anyone see the *news* tonight where they did a real piece of investigative journalism to find out if the complaint that the adverts were louder than the programs was true and therefore illegal? They concluded that it was caused by ‘compression’ and although scientifically proven by an expert that the adverts were 3db higher it was not actually louder!!! LOL ROFL LOL LOL You’ve got to hand it to them out here they can *prove* black is white!
So you havn't noticed then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.