Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

contemplating Australia

contemplating Australia

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: contemplating Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
What and spoil the adverts! Did anyone see the *news* tonight where they did a real piece of investigative journalism to find out if the complaint that the adverts were louder than the programs was true and therefore illegal? They concluded that it was caused by ‘compression’ and although scientifically proven by an expert that the adverts were 3db higher it was not actually louder!!! LOL ROFL LOL LOL You’ve got to hand it to them out here they can *prove* black is white!
Arkon, I've been following this thread for a while and hearing all your grievances. Life must be hard mate when all you can see is the down side of everything.
On this particular subject I didn't see the show you're talking about but I worked in broadcast transmission in the UK and I can assure you it makes sense. And they do a very similar thing on some Pay TV channels there too. I suspect they do on terrestrial as well but do not know for sure so will not comment in a blanket term.
I only have one more comment - you speak of everything here with such contempt it seems to me you're not even trying to get along. Surely life would be better if you either got on with it and made the best of things or took the vets advice and headed back. I'm not one of the 'rose tinted' brigade. I've been here almost 3 years and there are things that drive me to distraction but that was the case in the Uk too (my previous comment on this thread covered all that). Come on give us a smile. You can do it...
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:09 am
ABCDiamond

Did anyone see the *news* tonight where they did a real piece of investigative journalism to find out if the complaint that the adverts were louder than the programs was true and therefore illegal? They concluded that it was caused by ‘compression’ and although scientifically proven by an expert that the adverts were 3db higher it was not actually louder!!! LOL ROFL LOL LOL You’ve got to hand it to them out here they can *prove* black is white!
I can't help replying to this again, after reading the article in the UK Daily Mail, yesterday, about the adverts on Channel 5.

Millions Of irritated television viewers have long suspected it. And TV companies have always strenuously denied it.
But yesterday it was confirmed: When the commercials come on, the volume does go up.

The culprit singled out by watchdogs was Channel 5.
Daily Mail

The UK rules are: "broadcasting rules that say adverts cannot be 'excessively louder' than the programme during which it is shown"

It's a wide problem by the looks of it

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:16 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I can't help replying to this again, after reading the article in the UK Daily Mail, yesterday, about the adverts on Channel 5.

Daily Mail

The UK rules are: "broadcasting rules that say adverts cannot be 'excessively louder' than the programme during which it is shown"

It's a wide problem by the looks of it
I don't doubt its a world wide problem, its the news item I was laughing at. I too had a sound technichian and sound lab in my previous company and know all about compression, normalising etc. The bit that made me laugh (see I can smile!) was when they proved the ads were 3db higher and then went on to say they wern't actually louder! makes no sense, its either louder or it isn't.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:30 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Arkon, I've been following this thread for a while and hearing all your grievances. Life must be hard mate when all you can see is the down side of everything.
On this particular subject I didn't see the show you're talking about but I worked in broadcast transmission in the UK and I can assure you it makes sense. And they do a very similar thing on some Pay TV channels there too. I suspect they do on terrestrial as well but do not know for sure so will not comment in a blanket term.
I only have one more comment - you speak of everything here with such contempt it seems to me you're not even trying to get along. Surely life would be better if you either got on with it and made the best of things or took the vets advice and headed back. I'm not one of the 'rose tinted' brigade. I've been here almost 3 years and there are things that drive me to distraction but that was the case in the Uk too (my previous comment on this thread covered all that). Come on give us a smile. You can do it...
The reason I posted what I have so far was mainly because I *was* part of the rose tinted brigade for 3 years before we left. I only wish I had read what I've posted so far before we got here (does that make sense?). I would still have come; after all I do have to stick my fingers in the power socket to see it actually really does hurt. If I were more prepared for the potential negatives they might not have been so big at the time. And I've made far too big a commitment to get here to just give up and go home now.

As for me being negative, what am I supposed to write? That it’s all roses here and that I love the place? Lie my hind teeth off just so the folks at home don’t think I made a big mistake? Or just say nothing and let everyone keep thinking the place is some kind of Eden? Loads of people have some of the same negative views as myself but are maybe not so confident to actually verbalize it on here; I for one don’t blame them for staying in the shadows and saying nothing. After all I got quite a basting for coming out of the closet so to speak.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That program on the adverts was interesting, in that it showed there is a legal maximum noise factor, and the adverts do not exceed it, so they stay within the law.

The law actually states that the adverts cannot go higher than the maximum allowed noise factor for any standard TV program.

However, the normal TV programs rarely reach that maximum, other than Load Screams, Airplane engine noise, etc etc, whereas "some" of the Advert producers happily admitted that they try to get the maximum allowed volume throughout as much of the advert as they can, called compression.

Personally I don't worry about it, as I have a mute button on my remote control
I think some of the very latest TV's (Aiwa is one brand I think) can overcome this by 'smoothing out' any increases in sound.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:11 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm. geez I need to think hard on this one... I think most people after such a large commitment like the ordeal of getting the visa, which I have to say in my opinion is only about once again raising revenue, can't then admit to people, family, friends & forums just how different and how much of a poor cousin australia is. Back to your question... I'd like to say the weather, but this is very subjective, summer is toooo hot. Sumer is like the UK in winter on a very rainy day, you cant go out side, even the ausies admit they don't like summer, my family have been here 30 years or more and still can't wait for summer to be over. but if you like sun that will give you cancer after 30 minutes then thats a positive. Sorry still not answering the question...

Positives:- People very friendly, hardly any immegrants in rural areas, Lovely deserted huge beaches, excellent bird life and other wildlife, Food is not bad but not up to european standards, cheap beer, good looking woman (in cities only), cheap wine,Teenagers pay a pittance in car insurance so all drive V8 6Liter super cars,Land is cheap (rural only) thats about it.

Heres a short list of whats bad just so all you 'grass is greener' brigade know exactly what your in for....

* Poor educatoinal standard in state schools
* workers have no desire to be measured on standards
* jobs worths
* 6 men to do 1 mans job
* road works don't use trafic lights, 6 people with lollypop sticks will do
* inconsistant fee structure in medical stuff
* imported goods have high import dutys so are very expensive
* internet comercial ussage at about UK 1990 level but with broadband common
* impossible to get a price on goods in most industrial estate shops
* don't try buying over the internet from abroad
* union mad
* can't have a meal here unless your a member
* can't join this club if you belong to another within 5 km
* I only want a pint, not a half!!
* Want a boat, you need to pay a fee
* want to fish, you need a licence
* want an air rifle, sell your 1st born son
* want something delivered within a week, sell your 2nd son
* want to buy from ebay? pay more for postage than the winning bid!
* Postmen wont deliver if it cant be done from a sitting position
* Postman will deliver a card to say 'cant be arsed to deliver your small parcel come and get it your self'
* Pay all your income in tax unless you pay all your income in accountants fees
* You must have more than 1 can of car spray paint in this whole town!
* What!! I'm not allowed to buy ring main wire unless I have a certificate?
* What!! you cant do any DIY work thats worth over $5000 without going on a builders course!
* What!! I can't come and work for you unless *I* have liability insurance!!
* What!! I have to pay a fine because *YOU* stole my car!!
* What!! you want how much to put this car on the road?
* What!! you've given me DOUBLE demerit points on my licence because I commited a driving offence at xmas, easter and any other public holiday. was my crime worse because jesus was born?
* 'On my oath!' means I'm lying thru my teeth

Thats it, there's plenty more but I've got to go now and buy my return ticket!

Maybe you should get a post woman to deliever your goods.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:18 am
ABCDiamond

I don't doubt its a world wide problem, its the news item I was laughing at. I too had a sound technichian and sound lab in my previous company and know all about compression, normalising etc. The bit that made me laugh (see I can smile!) was when they proved the ads were 3db higher and then went on to say they wern't actually louder! makes no sense, its either louder or it isn't.
I think they were just sticking within the rules, and they were correct in saying that they weren't louder than the maximum allowed.

So it may be louder on average, but it is not louder than the loudest part of the TV program. They may be highlighting specifics, but I think that happens anywhere, where the law becomes relevant.

The Australian law states that "the adverts cannot go higher than the maximum allowed noise factor for any standard TV program" And apparently the adverts don't.

The UK law in comparison appears to be "adverts cannot be 'excessively louder' than the programme during which it is shown" And some adverts did

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:16 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The reason I posted what I have so far was mainly because I *was* part of the rose tinted brigade for 3 years before we left. I only wish I had read what I've posted so far before we got here (does that make sense?). I would still have come; after all I do have to stick my fingers in the power socket to see it actually really does hurt. If I were more prepared for the potential negatives they might not have been so big at the time. And I've made far too big a commitment to get here to just give up and go home now.

As for me being negative, what am I supposed to write? That it’s all roses here and that I love the place? Lie my hind teeth off just so the folks at home don’t think I made a big mistake? Or just say nothing and let everyone keep thinking the place is some kind of Eden? Loads of people have some of the same negative views as myself but are maybe not so confident to actually verbalize it on here; I for one don’t blame them for staying in the shadows and saying nothing. After all I got quite a basting for coming out of the closet so to speak.
Time to rack-off, past your expiry date.

If I stretch my imagination to being chained to a market cross for 3 years, perhaps I'd go bonkers too.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:26 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

I have read this thread with great interest and have found your honesty refreshing. It does sound like you are having a hard time of it and I know how difficult it can be in those first few months. Your points have really made me think about what we are expecting from our move and this can only be a good thing. Several years ago we moved to NZ and I expected it to be perfect and despite being desperate to get over there, I was amazed at how homesick I felt and how some things were better and others worse than at home. We returned to the UK as found that NZ wasn't really for us, but always loved our time in Australia so are now planning a move there. When times are hard here, we look forward to our 'new' life, and your comments have made me realise that nowhere is perfect and that you have to take the good with the bad.

I hope things settle down and work out for you. If its any help, we were in NZ for at least a year before it started to feel like home.

Nik
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:54 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Out here if there is any coverage at all its only when it involves Australia in the story. Anything else is glossed over. If I was to be synical I'd say the only reason the london bombings were covered was because there were some australian casualties. The news here is very much 'me myself and I'
...now you're getting paranoid. Go have a .... things are not that bad.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:58 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kendodd
OK, I stand corrected.

But I still can't explain why, after watching Sky news, that somehow it seems that they have put it across better. Even the Aussie skynews is better than the news on abc, they just seem to cover events better and in a more even way. Sorry if I think that!!
Because its Australian news, reported in an Australian way, for Australia and by Australians. You're British and you're down on everything Australian. Its never going to seem balanced while you're looking at the world the way you are and guess what? It isn't going to change for you. Either get used to it or switch the TV off
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Originally Posted by Soi Oz
Because its Australian news, reported in an Australian way, for Australia and by Australians. You're British and you're down on everything Australian. Its never going to seem balanced while you're looking at the world the way you are and guess what? It isn't going to change for you.
Excellent posts .
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect you to report that it's paradise but where is the balance? Unless you truly believe Australia is a complete hell hole (in which case mate for your own sanity get out now!) you have to try and see that there are ups and downs wherever you are. So start a post about the inefficiency of the RTA and vent away I'm sure lots of people would agree. Don't just post Australia is rubbish then grasp at straws as to why. Some of the things you've complained about are very valid and others just plain silly - but the constant whining about unimportant things like the decibels of the adverts (when they are the damn same as the UK) detracts from your point that it's not all beaches and Barbies.
As for being jumped on - I don't actually think you were pulled up for your opinions, there were a good few things you mentioned I agree with totally - it was your attitude. You've basically chosen to treat an entire nation with complete contempt and it's a place some of us have chosen to call home - warts n all.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:53 pm
ABCDiamond

As for me being negative, what am I supposed to write? That it’s all roses here and that I love the place? Lie my hind teeth off just so the folks at home don’t think I made a big mistake? Or just say nothing and let everyone keep thinking the place is some kind of Eden?
As I said before, if you had kept to reasonable truths or, using your own words not "exaggerated the facts", in your earlier posts, then people would not have picked apart the things you got wrong,
Well during a rant sometimes the facts get exaggerated
I mentioned at the time that you ran the risk of people disbelieving the actual correct parts of what you did actually say, due to the holes you left yourself open to, by the other things you said. It appears this has happened, and you don't like it.

And i'm not sure that calling me, and others that corrected some of your comments, "immature", would help either.

A number of your points were valid, and if you re-read the replies to your original post, you will see that many agreed, but you did take offence to being corrected on some bits, which appeared to make things worse as others then re-checked the things you said.

When you said
Pay all your income in tax unless you pay all your income in accountants fees
Do you really feel that gives the truth ? Even though a person on an average wage of $50,000 only pays $11,172 in tax or 22.34%, and even someone on $200,000 per year only pays $79,712 = 39.8% ? Or do you just think I am "Nit Picking" again ?
Coor, you don't half nit pick Your right the buyer pays not the seller.
If "nit picking" means "correcting Facts" then OK, I "nit-pick".. but only because I prefer the actual facts to be known to people who read these pages, rather than miss-information.

Even though I risk being called immature again by you, I will say this again, "keep to the facts, don't exaggerate, and you won't get picked apart, but exaggerate everything, and you open yourself up to these comments".

Valid information on negative aspects are rarely ridiculed, and are often welcomed, except in threads that become ridiculous, where everything begins to mean nothing.

Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:42 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Do you really feel that gives the truth ? Even though a person on an average wage of $50,000 only pays $11,172 in tax or 22.34%, and even someone on $200,000 per year only pays $79,712 = 39.8% ? Or do you just think I am "Nit Picking" again ? .
Ok, I'll elaberate on just this point, I've just done my end of year tax and BAS and If I hadn't used an accountant I would have payed about $11,000 in tax, as it is she did a great job at reducing it to $1500! And ok she didn't end up costing as much as I was initially told she would. As someone mentioned earlier if you don't ask the right questions you will get stung. Normally in the UK I would have done my own tax and there's very little you can do to wriggle out of it, but here if you know all the tricks which by the way noone tells you untill after you make the gaffs you can end up saving a fortune.

Although I'm very happy at avoiding all that tax, I just don't think a system that lets the unsuspecting get unfairly penalised is fair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.