Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

container insurance

container insurance

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default container insurance

We have booked John Masons to shift our gear to Melbourne and whilst sat amongst all our boxes, we have got to the question about 'Insurance' !!!!!

The paperwork says its 3% / £100 + tax;and when you look around the room at all the gear, 3% could mount up to lots of £'s. As well as that, lots of the things we are taking are of sentimental value only and NO money can replace them.

So the question is apart from the electrical gear we are taking is it worth all the extra money to insure things that cannot be replaced when we could spend that money on things when we're out there instead.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: container insurance

Originally Posted by anypan
We have booked John Masons to shift our gear to Melbourne and whilst sat amongst all our boxes, we have got to the question about 'Insurance' !!!!!

The paperwork says its 3% / £100 + tax;and when you look around the room at all the gear, 3% could mount up to lots of £'s. As well as that, lots of the things we are taking are of sentimental value only and NO money can replace them.

So the question is apart from the electrical gear we are taking is it worth all the extra money to insure things that cannot be replaced when we could spend that money on things when we're out there instead.

Hey you guys!!!

We didnt insure everything. Just the things that were likely to break or be damaged and added a few £'s to the value of it.

We insured things like pictures and the crystal that we sent home, PS2 & games, CD's, Pauls motorbike leathers, any clothes etc.

I guess its a judgement call on your part, depending on what you are bringing over.

Hels
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Hels]Hey you guys!!!
We didnt insure anything,i forgot.
Remember if stuff is held in storage the insurance is invalid,also the same applies if you pack or unpack the boxes yourselves.
We found the stuff customs looked at had some damage,ie internal wiring on the computer,Xbox chip now loose,and a couple of other bits.Still the damage doesnt equate to what we would of paid in insurance.
Ps
dont kid yourself that they dont look at stuff,they unpacked at least 3 quarters of ours and that apparently is the norm.
donna
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:46 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I used an insurance company in Liverpool, Letton percival's (01512364568) speak to Brian Naughton. They are half the price if your shipper does not mind you getting your own insurance sorted, mine didn't, well he didn't have much choice when I said he would rip me off and I could get it half his quote. He gave up on me as a lost cause after that.
We had a % for boxes we had packed ourselves and a lower % rate for the proffessional packed boxes. Plus he had an option to cover your container for 30days once arrived in Australia. You just had to note it on the form that you wished to have the cover.
Jenny
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:53 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
I used an insurance company in Liverpool, Letton percival's (01512364568) speak to Brian Naughton. They are half the price if your shipper does not mind you getting your own insurance sorted, mine didn't, well he didn't have much choice when I said he would rip me off and I could get it half his quote. He gave up on me as a lost cause after that.
We had a % for boxes we had packed ourselves and a lower % rate for the proffessional packed boxes. Plus he had an option to cover your container for 30days once arrived in Australia. You just had to note it on the form that you wished to have the cover.
Jenny
We had insurance through the same company. Easy to apply for, and straightforward when it came to claiming. Unlike Pickford's own insurance, which would have seen us running around Sydney getting quotes to get things repaired, replaced, or - in the case of the things they managed to lose - trying to find photos or receipts to prove that we had owned such items.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

No, its an absolute rip off. We only insured necessary items but it cost us over £1000.00 - Then if you read the small print you are not insured for what you actually need - water damage to electrical items is extra, as is mould and mildew - so what is the point ! We haven't even unpacked yet (after 7 1/2 months) no point just renting and waiting for our house to be built. Save your money for something in Aus.
With all due respect, I'm sure you have lovely belongings - but furniture in Aus is totally different - bigger more pronounced - the olde english furniture just does not fit ! (Sorry I suppose its a girly thing - it my excuse anyway - new furniture all round, anyone want old english pine !)
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by surfdude
No, its an absolute rip off. We only insured necessary items but it cost us over £1000.00 - Then if you read the small print you are not insured for what you actually need - water damage to electrical items is extra, as is mould and mildew - so what is the point ! We haven't even unpacked yet (after 7 1/2 months) no point just renting and waiting for our house to be built. Save your money for something in Aus.
With all due respect, I'm sure you have lovely belongings - but furniture in Aus is totally different - bigger more pronounced - the olde english furniture just does not fit ! (Sorry I suppose its a girly thing - it my excuse anyway - new furniture all round, anyone want old english pine !)

I insured probably three big items and then a box which held most of my clothes. As others have said, insurance doesnt cover you for a lot anyway! My insurance was 1.5% I think, in the end only one thing was broken and that was the glass off a frame, which was probably my own fault because I didnt pack it in that well!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:04 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I insured probably three big items and then a box which held most of my clothes. As others have said, insurance doesnt cover you for a lot anyway! My insurance was 1.5% I think, in the end only one thing was broken and that was the glass off a frame, which was probably my own fault because I didnt pack it in that well!
we insured £20K worth ov stuff......at which cost us £517 through PSS

love boomie