Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cont.parent visa.How long from temp to perm?

Cont.parent visa.How long from temp to perm?

Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

you go girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cont.parent visa.How long from temp to perm?

When paying the first half of the contributory parent visa application, I was told that I could apply for the permanent one within the 2 years. Been here since Jan and applied in May, as I thought it would go through fairly swiftly, still haven't been asked for 2nd half of VAC. Can anyone tell me how long they had to wait for permanent residency to be granted.. Also, whilst they were waiting for it to come through, and if they were working, did they get the $6000 allowance on income tax?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 10:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cont.parent visa.How long from temp to perm?

Originally Posted by you go girl
Also, whilst they were waiting for it to come through, and if they were working, did they get the $6000 allowance on income tax?
You should get the A$6k allowance as long as you are tax resident. You don't have to be a permanent resident.

However, in the first year of arrival it's prorated, so if you arrive on 1 Jan 2006 you will get only half for the 2006/07 fiscal year.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:45 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 173 (temporary CP) client apply for a 143 (permanent CP) through DIMA Melbourne - it was processed in about 3 weeks ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by you go girl
When paying the first half of the contributory parent visa application, I was told that I could apply for the permanent one within the 2 years. Been here since Jan and applied in May, as I thought it would go through fairly swiftly, still haven't been asked for 2nd half of VAC. Can anyone tell me how long they had to wait for permanent residency to be granted.. Also, whilst they were waiting for it to come through, and if they were working, did they get the $6000 allowance on income tax?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I had a 173 (temporary CP) client apply for a 143 (permanent CP) through DIMA Melbourne - it was processed in about 3 weeks ...

Best regards.
\

Well they certainly are dragging their heels in WA. I think I will start ringing them on a daily basis until I get an answer!
Incidentally, I have now contacted the ATO after reading your letter, and they will send me an amendment form. Thanks for your help! Suzanne
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should get the A$6k allowance as long as you are tax resident. You don't have to be a permanent resident.

However, in the first year of arrival it's prorated, so if you arrive on 1 Jan 2006 you will get only half for the 2006/07 fiscal year.
Thanks for that. I have contacted the ATO and they are going to send me an amendment form. Suzanne