Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Construction work in Oz

Construction work in Oz

Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

sterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nice
Default Construction work in Oz

Hi,

Im new to this forum I actually belong on the Middle East forum as I am currently working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

However, as much as I love it here in the land that time forgot (hmm pardon my sarcasim) it has always been my big dream and ambition to live and work in Australia.

Can anybody give me any information on the construction job market. I am currently working as Project Manager on a £28 million Service Tunnel Refurbishment & New build Fuel storage tank and pipeline project, at the tender age of 26 (fortune smiled down on me when the previous PM resigned and did a midnight runner back to the UK, hence me being promoted).
I actually love the job side of things and I am learning so much everyday, however, with being in Saudi my fiance, family or friends can not come and even visit, nor would I want them to because of the strict restrications. Both me and the fiance have talked about moving to OZ for a long time and mwould really like for it to happen soon.

Any information would be a great help!

Thanks

Ste
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:20 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Construction work in Oz

Originally Posted by sterobbo2k
Hi,

Im new to this forum I actually belong on the Middle East forum as I am currently working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

However, as much as I love it here in the land that time forgot (hmm pardon my sarcasim) it has always been my big dream and ambition to live and work in Australia.

Can anybody give me any information on the construction job market. I am currently working as Project Manager on a £28 million Service Tunnel Refurbishment & New build Fuel storage tank and pipeline project, at the tender age of 26 (fortune smiled down on me when the previous PM resigned and did a midnight runner back to the UK, hence me being promoted).
I actually love the job side of things and I am learning so much everyday, however, with being in Saudi my fiance, family or friends can not come and even visit, nor would I want them to because of the strict restrications. Both me and the fiance have talked about moving to OZ for a long time and mwould really like for it to happen soon.

Any information would be a great help!

Thanks

Ste
If you love your job and are doing well then i would stay as australia is no bed of roses and you might not find anything like what you have got,australia is finding it hard and their are a lot of people out of work
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:05 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

How about looking into getting a PR visa (which might take up to 18 months anyway) and to stick it out in Saudi for the time being.

I would imagine the financial side of things is good over there, and you are gaining valuable experience all the while, so that if you do get the visa, and decide to make the move, you will be in a comfortable position to do so.

I know plenty in various trades in construction, and none of them are having trouble working. It is different in the various states, and the bigger construction projects have taken a serious knock with the GFC, but that could all be different in 18 months time.

One thing you will need to look into are the requirements needed for getting your fiancee on the visa as you are living apart.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:57 am
Just Joined

sterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nicesterobbo2k is just really nice

Thanks guys, I must admit I am suprised at the job situation over there!!
I was speaking to some friends who were over in the UK in November and they were saying there was 'heaps'(as aussies like to say) of work in Construction.

I understand what you are saying and you are defo right about the financial side of things, but as they say money isnt everything and doesn't compensate for the sacrafices you have to make to be here. Hopefully things will pick up in Oz over the next 18 months by which time I would have been here 2 half years which is more than enough!!!