Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz ?

Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz ?

Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz

Originally Posted by cresta57
Best bet is to read the RACQ website FAQ's on child restraints.
Yeah, you're right, I'm just being lazy
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:55 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, you're right, I'm just being lazy
Peace & quiet returned to the house at 5am this morning Amy & Summer caught the first train back to NSW.
The booster seat was finally unbolted from the back of my Ute and went with them
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant future

Excellent thread. This has been a dilema for us as we have a baby and a toddler,and were wondering what to do.

Decided to take both seats after reading this thread.

thanks for the info.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Peace & quiet returned to the house at 5am this morning Amy & Summer caught the first train back to NSW.
The booster seat was finally unbolted from the back of my Ute and went with them
Freedom for the Ute!!!It can now hold its head up high again as a tough feral ute, and not a baby-carrier
When you bringing my bottles down?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Just use the UK ones. Who cares if they don't comply. They're good enough for the UK. You won't get done for it over here.
I think people would probably care if they had an accident or were checked and it was discovered the seat didnt comply, plus as someone else has said seats here have anchor points so are slightly different.

I did some digging on this and even emailed Britax as I wanted to get one of those lift out seats brought over from the UK as they are not only more convenient but far cheaper - but they confirmed it's illegal to use a non-Aus one. Seems crazy to me too as surely the standards are the same BUT "dems da rules" and personally I would not want to risk carrying my baby around in a seat that doesnt comply.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I think people would probably care if they had an accident or were checked and it was discovered the seat didnt comply, plus as someone else has said seats here have anchor points so are slightly different.

I did some digging on this and even emailed Britax as I wanted to get one of those lift out seats brought over from the UK as they are not only more convenient but far cheaper - but they confirmed it's illegal to use a non-Aus one. Seems crazy to me too as surely the standards are the same BUT "dems da rules" and personally I would not want to risk carrying my baby around in a seat that doesnt comply.
Totally agree. The legal and insurance consequences in the event of an accident could be huge. I can't believe that there is even a debate on this issue. Get Aussie seats and leave the UK ones behind. Simple as.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:42 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can anyone clarify the law on booster seats in Aus for me, in regard to what age/size the kiddies need to be - littlest niece will be nearly 7 when she visits this year and I need to know whether we should hire one or not?
In NSW, go to:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...restraint.html

Peter
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Totally agree. The legal and insurance consequences in the event of an accident could be huge. I can't believe that there is even a debate on this issue. Get Aussie seats and leave the UK ones behind. Simple as.
What would the insurance consequences be? What would not be insured if you used UK seats?? Your kids?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
What would the insurance consequences be? What would not be insured if you used UK seats?? Your kids?
If it was your car and you were involved in accident where a child was hurt whilst sitting in a seat that was not to Australian standards, then I reckon there could be serious insurance issues.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

If it was your car and you were involved in accident where a child was hurt whilst sitting in a seat that was not to Australian standards, then I reckon there could be serious insurance issues.
But I still do not understand what the insurance risks would be? WOuld the car insurance be invalidated - I seriously doubt it, I could understand that there maybe legal issues but not insurance ones, although having spoken to people in the legal profession here they seem to doubt there really would be any issue.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

But I still do not understand what the insurance risks would be? WOuld the car insurance be invalidated - I seriously doubt it, I could understand that there maybe legal issues but not insurance ones, although having spoken to people in the legal profession here they seem to doubt there really would be any issue.
Cool. You do what you need to to save a few bucks and I'll do what I need to do to ensure the safety of my son. End of.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. You do what you need to to save a few bucks and I'll do what I need to do to ensure the safety of my son. End of.
Agreed, personally I dont think it's worth the risk....

Obviously it probably varies from state to state but:

Under Queensland law, the driver of the vehicle must ensure children under 16 years of age are wearing a correctly fitted child restraint or a seatbelt. The penalty for failing to do this is a A$225 fine and three demerit points.

Last edited by bridie; Mar 12th 2007 at 6:13 am.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

We did use our UK seats until the kids out grew them then we bought Oz ones. The bottom line is I do not believe that your son was any safer in a Oz seat that our kids were in UK seats....otherwise we would not have done what we did...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

We did use our UK seats until the kids out grew them then we bought Oz ones. The bottom line is I do not believe that your son was any safer in a Oz seat that our kids were in UK seats....otherwise we would not have done what we did...
I dont think the issue is just about safety though, it's unclear what would happen if you were stopped and your car was checked by police and found to have a non-Aus standard seat in it, or you had an accident (whether resulting in harm to the child or not) and it was discovered. It's not something that happens everyday so I doubt there's much information on it, but personally speaking I would rather just spend the $s on an Aus car seat and know that if anything happened I wouldnt be taken to court / fined or whatever because the seat didnt conform.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridie
I dont think the issue is just about safety though, it's unclear what would happen if you were stopped and your car was checked by police and found to have a non-Aus standard seat in it, or you had an accident (whether resulting in harm to the child or not) and it was discovered. It's not something that happens everyday so I doubt there's much information on it, but personally speaking I would rather just spend the $s on an Aus car seat and know that if anything happened I wouldnt be taken to court / fined or whatever because the seat didnt conform.
Agreed, it is a personal decision but in the end the safety of our kids was our main concern and if we were happy with them in the car seats in the UK then we were happy enough here....understanding that if the WA police had nothing better to do then they could make an issue of it...they didn't and they are now in Australian booster seats....I have to say that we did not let the kids into some of our friends cars due to the poor "approved" car seats that they had. In the end from a safety perspective the critical factor is the correct fitting of the seat more than any other factor.

Cheers

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.