Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz ?

Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz ?

Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz ?

Hi
Searched the forum and not really come up with an answer , what sites I have looked on say Uk and US seat do not compile with Australian standard and cannot therefore be used. Is there anyone in Oz now - who had a Uk seat and is using it ? Just think do we sell ours and avoid taking it if the reailty is that we will have to buy a new one. We have Maxi Cosy newest one....Is there any way round it ? Can you buy something extra for it or is it just ALL UK seats that cannot be used legally HELP PLEASE
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:46 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi
Searched the forum and not really come up with an answer , what sites I have looked on say Uk and US seat do not compile with Australian standard and cannot therefore be used. Is there anyone in Oz now - who had a Uk seat and is using it ? Just think do we sell ours and avoid taking it if the reailty is that we will have to buy a new one. We have Maxi Cosy newest one....Is there any way round it ? Can you buy something extra for it or is it just ALL UK seats that cannot be used legally HELP PLEASE
You cannot use british or european standards marked car seats in Oz!
Only those that have been stamped by Australian safety standards. I am really annoyed as I just bought a new car seat here a Brittax evolva which would last Rhys until he is 11 but cant take it to oz as it isnt legal there!!!
PANTS!! There is not a way around it they have different safety regulations and standards and have to carry the Australian safety stamp!! I am well pished off I can tell you. I had planned on taking it on the plane and then putting it into the car from the airport now I will have to get my in laws to buy one to put in their car so I can take Rhys from the Airport to the house! So annoying!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:50 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused What Is The Reality With Uk Carseats In Oz ? Anyone Using One Out In Oz

I take it that Aussie ones aren't suitable for the UK either if it works that way round? I have a lovely Safe and Sound one from Oz but looks like I will have to go and buy yet another one for being back here. !
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

WHY DONT YOU GUYS ARRANGE A SWAP?

does this go for booster seats too

are booster seats law in OZ?. My boys are 4 and 6 so are too big for a "car seat"
but we would like them to use booster seats.

i read somewere that the OZ seats actually anchor into the frame of the car rather than just being strapped in (simmilar to the new renault and VW systems)

much safer IMHO
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:59 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi

I would bring yours anyway. We wish we had, i don't know how strongly the law is enforced, but we hav'nt found anything half as good as the one we had in the UK.

You would be amazed at how many kids you see in cars not strapped in, i know it happens over there as well, but i dont ever recall seeing as many.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:03 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just use the UK ones. Who cares if they don't comply. They're good enough for the UK. You won't get done for it over here.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:06 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
I would bring yours anyway. We wish we had, i don't know how strongly the law is enforced, but we hav'nt found anything half as good as the one we had in the UK.

You would be amazed at how many kids you see in cars not strapped in, i know it happens over there as well, but i dont ever recall seeing as many.
well, we brought one over, its one of those that changes to a booster seat and lasts up to child being about 11 (our 2 are little uns ).

the older one uses the one we brought, which is now just a booster seat. and the youngest had a new one bought here, which is crap. it just gets thrown in, it isnt fastened down, and isnt great. nobody has ever said anything to us. IMO bring them.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

The seats are exactly the same brand but have an extra strap at the back which hooks on to an anchor behind the seat on the car.

As for boosters they have no such anchor and are just flimsy pieces of polystyrene, we looked everywhere for a proper seat up to 26kg for my 5 yr old, in the end finding them at Myers (Britax (actually britax ae called safensound here) Maxi .

I think someone else on here posted this recently about boosters, makes you think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone clarify the law on booster seats in Aus for me, in regard to what age/size the kiddies need to be - littlest niece will be nearly 7 when she visits this year and I need to know whether we should hire one or not?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:30 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can anyone clarify the law on booster seats in Aus for me, in regard to what age/size the kiddies need to be - littlest niece will be nearly 7 when she visits this year and I need to know whether we should hire one or not?
Australia
Child Restraints
Children under 1 year old must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint.

Children aged 1 to 15 years must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint, or occupy a seating position fitted with a suitable seatbelt if one is available.

If the vehicle has 2 or more rows of seats, the child must not be in the front row of seats unless restrained in a suitable approved child restraint or occupying a seating position fitted with a seatbelt.

Australian child restraints must be fitted with a top tether which is attached to a suitable mounting point on the vehicle. The use of European child restraints without a top tether is, therefore, illegal.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/countries/australia.htm

Booster seats are there for children who have outgrown their child safety seat and who weigh between 14-26 kg (around 3-7 years of age). The booster seat raises the child so they can see out of the window and still ensure the seat belt is worn correctly. If using a booster seat with a back incorporated(e.g Observer),make sure the Childs eyes are below the top of the booster seat back when seated.

Last edited by cresta57; Mar 11th 2007 at 9:38 pm. Reason: more info
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:31 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd also like to know the minimum age for a booster seat. We will be renting a car there and our oldest will be 3.5 years old, so I'm wondering what she should be in.

In Canada it would still be a forward facing child safety seat (not a booster).
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleb2003
The seats are exactly the same brand but have an extra strap at the back which hooks on to an anchor behind the seat on the car.

As for boosters they have no such anchor and are just flimsy pieces of polystyrene, we looked everywhere for a proper seat up to 26kg for my 5 yr old, in the end finding them at Myers (Britax (actually britax ae called safensound here) Maxi .

I think someone else on here posted this recently about boosters, makes you think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ
So that means I can use my Oz one in UK just without the anchor strap???
and my safe and sound is then a Britax.....???
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Australia
Child Restraints
Children under 1 year old must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint.

Children aged 1 to 15 years must be restrained in a suitable approved child restraint, or occupy a seating position fitted with a suitable seatbelt if one is available.

If the vehicle has 2 or more rows of seats, the child must not be in the front row of seats unless restrained in a suitable approved child restraint or occupying a seating position fitted with a seatbelt.

Australian child restraints must be fitted with a top tether which is attached to a suitable mounting point on the vehicle. The use of European child restraints without a top tether is, therefore, illegal.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/countries/australia.htm
So as long as she is in the back and wearing a "suitable" seatbelt, she's legal? (My BIL gets stressed about stuff like this so I've got to get it right!!).
Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:41 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

So as long as she is in the back and wearing a "suitable" seatbelt, she's legal? (My BIL gets stressed about stuff like this so I've got to get it right!!).
Thanks
Best bet is to read the RACQ website FAQ's on child restraints.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

I found a very useful site regarding car seat laws in Oz. Have had a look at car seats too and can honestly say they don't look as good as our Graco boosters (with backs).

www.kidsafe.org.au

Tasha x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.