Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Confiscated by Customs.

Confiscated by Customs.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:04 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confiscated by Customs.

Do they scan suitcases in your presence at Brisbane airport? I seem to remember landing and then having to queue to put suitcases through x-ray machine again before leaving the terminal.

We were trying to find a bin to throw our sweeties from plane away - as I walked to the bin the beagle sniffer dog was following me and checking out the bin - its amazing how guilty they can make you feel!

Lynn
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:48 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Do they scan suitcases in your presence at Brisbane airport? I seem to remember landing and then having to queue to put suitcases through x-ray machine again before leaving the terminal.

We were trying to find a bin to throw our sweeties from plane away - as I walked to the bin the beagle sniffer dog was following me and checking out the bin - its amazing how guilty they can make you feel!

Lynn
When we flew out to Perth last year for our daughter's wedding they took my hat out of the hat box and swabbed it for explosives. :scared: The customs guy told me wittily that it was nothing to lose my head over. Groan.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:06 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Lynn

Similar thing happened to a mate of ours who flew out from UK for our wedding 18 months ago. We arrived at Brisbane Airport to pick him up, saw the plane land, passengers enter arrivals,but no mate. Got a text from him saying that he was getting first-aid on the aircraft after going head-to-head with a low flying orange juice bottle that was incorrectly stored for landing. Ok, simple, no. 15 minutes later we got another text saying that a sniffer dog had taken a liking to his luggage and was doing backflips, and that he would be at least another 15 minutes. Turns out the dog smelt apples in his luggage, so he had to turn everything out. Guess what, no fruit. It seems he washes all his clothes in detergent that is apple flavoured and that it was the detergent that the dog had smelt. But then again it could and would only happen to him.

As for the suitcase scanning, you put them on a conveyor-belt as you walk through, that is if your luggage has actually come with you.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 26th 2005 at 9:10 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

My son had a miniature plastic gun keyring thingy taken off him last year by customs in America. He was gutted, his Dad had won it out of a machine for him and he was well pleased with it.

He'd also bought himself some halo toys that were in his hand luggage. I'm surprised they didn't take them off him as well

Tracey
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving Honolulu Airport got stopped at security for about 20 minutes while they ran a whole load of checks on me after my camera bag showed traces of TNT!!!!

We'd flown over the active volcano on Big Island that morning - and it turns out the gasses emitted contain similar ingredients!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I had a pencil sharpener (mostly plastic, same as used by small children) confiscated at Gatwick as it was a potential weapon. I suppose somebody may have choked on it if they tried to swallow it.

And there was the case of Aussie customs detaining my elderly teddy-bear for fumigation :scared: And they charged $100 to do it!

Lesley
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:43 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
And there was the case of Aussie customs detaining my elderly teddy-bear for fumigation :scared: And they charged $100 to do it!

Lesley
was that through an airport or in your stuff shipped over? I have 2 teddies as old as me, so like me been around a bit, but not that old
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley[/QUOTE]

Thta's a good point my teddies are old I wonder if I'd get them through customs?
My son (aged 12 ish)had a 6in artifical christmas tree in his back pack (bought in NZ the previous xmas)Arrived in Perth the Aussie customs guy was going to confiscate it because the base was real wood, but then took out his penknife and scraped the bark off and said "it looks ok to me now happy christmas"

I've declared herbal teas, uk choccies, medication, and never had them confiscated.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I managed to come to the notice of the Australian Custom service on my Return from England.

Just wondered if anyone else had fallen foul, of our border guardians.

My crime, I bought an electronic fly swatter. Figured that it would be a Hoot at BBq's with the boys etc. Seeing as most Hardware stores in England were carring them, and they only run on 3v's of power, I hoped it might get through.

So I ended up wasting 8 quid at pollards, Courtesy of an xray scan of my Luggage.

The whole episode wasn't too embarrassing, The security and Customs people were pretty good natured about it. I got asked If I had an electronic fly swatter in my luggage, by the xray scanner guy. I said 'yes' He said dont worry, but thats a customs matter, He called a Female Customs official over (who coincidently, asked me because if my surname, if i knew someone she had worked with in the past, which turned out to be my cousin !!!!) From that point on, Everyone that dealt with me, Thought that a Electric fly swatter was a pretty damn good idea, and were very apologetic about having to confiscate it. Apparently they dont meet Aussie Standards.

Thank god I had the sense not to pack the BB gun, my brother had bought my son, I doubt if they would have found that amusing LOL.

Anyone got any similar stories.

Personally I reckon it was spotted in England, and messaged ahead.
My husband had a pair of nail clippers confiscated once (they were on his house keys) before we left the UK, and they actually posted them back to us at our house, which we thought was very kind!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I have actually just re-read this thread and I am literally on the floor pmsl. I have tears rolling down my cheeks. I know it is a security necessity, but some of the things that these customs guys do - God it makes for a good laugh (though not at the time, I'm sure).