Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

car insurance in oz

car insurance in oz

Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:22 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance in oz

can somebody enlighten me on car insurnace in oz. is it the same as the uk - phone around and get the cheapest?

can you use your no claims bonus from uk? does no claims bonus exist in oz?

this question is for my hubby!!!

amanda
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:30 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in oz

Originally Posted by amanda76
can somebody enlighten me on car insurnace in oz. is it the same as the uk - phone around and get the cheapest?

amanda
We are headed for Queensland & have been advised that 3rd Party insurance is included with the Car Registration that you have to get to legally drive the car.... similar to road tax I think...

This is what the RACQ website says...

Compulsory Third Party
CTP Insurance is a compulsory form of insurance taken out in conjunction with the registration of a motor vehicle. It provides protection for the at fault owner or driver of a registered motor vehicle for compensation claims made against them in respect of injuries to other persons resulting from a motor vehicle accident. Injuries to the driver at fault are not covered by CTP insurance.

If you have a look at http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/...n_ENA_HTML.htm it goes thru the different types of insurance you can upgrade to. I assume that it is basically the same in every state. My parents have told us to bring evidence of our No Claims Bonus with us.... whether it will help with a reduced payment for Fully comp I am not sure.

Claire
x
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by amanda76

amanda
Hi,

same as UK - ring round for quotes - we found AAMI to be significantly cheaper than the rest AND they transferred my full UK no-claims with no problem (bring a letter from your insurer confirming your NCB)
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:16 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we r with Suncorp......I dodnt need a letter from my insurance Co on the UK they just took it as word
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

We went with NRMA over here in Oz and it seems much cheaper than for something similar in the UK although your postcode will obviously affect the cost.

With NRMA they work out your no claims bonus from how long you have held you licence and if you have had any crashes, they never asked for proof they don't even car if you have demerit points, it doesn't even matter if you keep the car on the road. Much different to the UK!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:25 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

They will take UK No Claims into account - as everyone says, bring some proof like a renewal notice or letter.

they also reduce your premium if youv'e got an Aussie Driving licence (or rather they load it up a little if you dont - like $1 a day or something until you get one).

When we bought our new car from dealer they wouldnt let us drive it away without showing a fully-comp certificate even though they had insured it with the compulsory 3rd party themselves - so I think you do need both.

It worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than UK insurance thats for sure.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by biggy
we r with Suncorp......I dodnt need a letter from my insurance Co on the UK they just took it as word
That happens often, BUT.. they may request it if you have a claim !

The CTP "Compulsory Third Party" cover that you get with the rego, is limited in its cover.

As Jonahs_mummy says "It provides protection for the at fault owner or driver of a registered motor vehicle for compensation claims made against them in respect of injuries to other persons"
It does NOT cover the driver of your car or damage to vehicles or property.
Only Personal Injury Claims.

You can get other covers: Third Party Property Damage, Fire & Theft or Comprehensive.

quotes available online at www.aami.com.au

Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As ABCD says, the TP "green slip" ONLY covers you for personal injury claims against you. Unless you have further insurance you will be liable for all other third party claims against you.

When you add the CTP and the comprehensive insurance together, the insurance is quite a bit more than in the UK - at least in my case (30-odd years NCB). Considering the general standard of Oz driving, that's not too surprising!

Word of warning: some have said that the insurance companies will take your UK NCB on trust. Perhaps they will but anecdotal evidence is that in the event of a claim they might refuse to pay unless you then produce the evidence of UK NCB. if you are lucky enough not to be hit for several years here you might not be able to get the letter from the UK insurer. So it's worth getting it NOW!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:15 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how we would go about insuring a car for me and my hubbie to drive if we don't own it?

My hubbies Aunt and Uncle who are moving back to UK temporarily for a year have said we can drive their 4x4 while they are in UK to keep it ticking over etc. - we plan to drive to their house and collect it the day after we arrive in Brisbane - do we organise insurance or do they? They will be already back in the UK when we move out to Brisbane - we are collecting it from the neighbours house!

Lynn
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:20 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

our car insurance has just come up for renewal, so we have a recent NCB letter!! will save - thanks guys
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:55 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Does anyone know how we would go about insuring a car for me and my hubbie to drive if we don't own it?
Yeah, get them to put your names on their insurance. They may or may not have to pay extra for the priviledge. They may even have a policy stating anyone over 30 or 35 can drive it. You`ll have to speak to them, and get them to speak to their insurer. We got put on our in-laws insurance without a problem, and didn`t have to pay a penny (oops, cent) extra.

As for when we bought our own car, I searched around the net, and chose `Budget`, who were the cheapest, and also paid $50 extra for a year`s breakdown assistance, which is bloody cheap. They needed a faxed copy of proof of no claims bonus, so you can transfer it from the UK.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:06 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
Yeah, get them to put your names on their insurance. They may or may not have to pay extra for the priviledge. They may even have a policy stating anyone over 30 or 35 can drive it. You`ll have to speak to them, and get them to speak to their insurer. We got put on our in-laws insurance without a problem, and didn`t have to pay a penny (oops, cent) extra.

As for when we bought our own car, I searched around the net, and chose `Budget`, who were the cheapest, and also paid $50 extra for a year`s breakdown assistance, which is bloody cheap. They needed a faxed copy of proof of no claims bonus, so you can transfer it from the UK.
Thanks for this info - I suppose if its their car then they will still have to keep it insured while they are back in UK for a year - I had though they might be cancelling their insurance!

Lynn