Reload this Page >

computer for mum!

computer for mum!

Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default computer for mum!

hi guys,
i need some help and advice, my daughter has an old pc, its about 4 years old! my point is, i'd like to give it to my mum before we go to Australia and embark on our new lives but she has never used one before, don't even think she's ever typed so how can i get her to make use of it and not be so scared of a machine!
also i'd like to set her up with an email account and web cam so that she can see us etc, what will work in Oz/UK? any tips or advice would be great
regards
rach
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Diane&Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

there have been several threads on this topic. My recommendation is to get her to sign on with the local library for some free lessons. you need to get her going before you go as about 1 months support needed
If you want to use web cam you need either msn messenger or yahoo messenger. I think msn messenger with web cam only works if both sides have XP. I think yahoo is more forgiving
Bob
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Diane & Bob

Originally posted by Diane&Bob
there have been several threads on this topic. My recommendation is to get her to sign on with the local library for some free lessons. you need to get her going before you go as about 1 months support needed
If you want to use web cam you need either msn messenger or yahoo messenger. I think msn messenger with web cam only works if both sides have XP. I think yahoo is more forgiving
Bob
Thanks very much for your help :0) that's why i love this forum so much, you type in a question and someone answers!
may be difficult to get her to go to a library, locally they do free courses at the high school but she isn't very sociable, feels her whole life is abandoning her! i'm a secretary so can teach her the basics and all she needs to know, just hope and pray its not like teaching someone to drive!
thanks again for your advice :0)
rach
Old Aug 30th 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have just had our old PC upgraded and have given it to my Mum. She has used a basic PC before- but not the internet or e-mail.

I set up an ccount with Tiscali because they do a cheap daytime use rate and my Mum is a skint pensioner.

It took her a couple of days to get to grips with it, but mostly it is working smoothly. The main problem is when something goes wrong with the email, I am 130 miles away so we have to problem shoot over the phone!

I would suggest giving her the computer well in advance of you going so she can get the hang of it.

Good luck!