Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens after you get it?

What happens after you get it?

Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:13 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens after you get it?

I'm probably thinking a long way off. In fact I know i am, my application is due to leave in the next couple of weeks for Adelaide.

If I do eventualy get my PR Visa and spend two-three years living in Australia, how easy is it to apply for citizenship? does it cost loads and is it as gruelling as the first stage?

Thanks for any advice.

D
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:21 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default prv

Hi, you have to be in the country for at least 2 years before you can get citizenship....or at least it was the last time i checked...
cheers
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:33 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

Thanks Johanne,

I realise this that there is a 2-3 years period where you must live in OZ. But after that when I want to move on to the next stage which is Citizenship (isn't it?), what are the costs and paperwork involved?
Old Aug 29th 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

i thought that you could apply after 1 year but it takes two years to get it
Old Aug 29th 2003, 6:57 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bussie
i thought that you could apply after 1 year but it takes two years to get it
I think if you transfer through the armed forces it's mandatory after 6 months and for certain other jobs you also have to be a citizen.
Skilled independants have to reside in Australia for a total of 2 yrs out of the first 5, there was a thread recently and I'm sure the figure is quoted in days.
Sean
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:49 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

So is it expensive and long winded to get citizenship after living there for 2 years?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

If I remember rightly there is a website solely to do with citizenship and the link can be found on DIMA' s site.
From memory I think it stated the cost at $120
Just found the link for you

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

Last edited by Rossi; Aug 30th 2003 at 12:50 am.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have been here to years out of the five, you can just apply for a return visa and they extend it for another 5 years, so no need to become citizen unless you want to.

BUT if you have NOT been here two years (accumalated) out of the five you have to apply for return visa and they only let you out for three months. !!
Old Aug 30th 2003, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

My best friend got citizenship last year, after a 2 year wait, you fill in an application form with a fee hand it over and wait to hear. Once you ge the news you have to wait for ceremony that makes it official as far as I remember they are only about twice a year (this is in Sydney)
Old Aug 30th 2003, 3:55 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

Thanks for those answers. So really it's just the first 'getting your foot in the door' bit that is the tricky bit.

I know it's a long way off and possibly might never happen but I like to think ahead just i case.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also apply online at www.immi.gov.au . Biggest hassle is you cannot travel during the application process because when citizenship is granted your visa is cancelled. You then have to apply for a skip passport if you want to travel.