Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'The Computer Market' - any experiences, good or bad?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Or take any of their advice ... once you have a model in mind then look it up here (and an aussie-based price comparison site) and wonder why people don't shop around more:

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2
U mart!

Had forgotten about them.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:12 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Or take any of their advice ... once you have a model in mind then look it up here (and an aussie-based price comparison site) and wonder why people don't shop around more:

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2
The one I'm currently looking at is an ACER 5740 - HN have it @ $899 but if I pay cash, $798, is it a decent enough wee laptop?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning that HN don't really sell anything half decent. Plenty of ASUS, ACER, COMPAQ laptops with glossy screens that reflect everything, Windows 7 Home Premium (dire) and cheap cases that look great when they are new but 6 months down the track they look worn out.

You'd be better of finding a small company locally in Toowoomba that really appreciates the sale and will give you something HN will not give you (customer service). Ask these questions at HN before you buy:

1. If the laptop goes wrong who sorts out the warranty? is it HN or is it you? (ie, do they call the manafacturer or do you?)
2. Will they set it up for you before you start using it so that you know it's setup properly with antivirus, antispyware software and all the Microsoft updates?
3. The computer will probably come with Norton or McAfee, are they happy to remove those paid for programs and instead install AVG which is far better than the paid for software or would they prefer to sell you Norton or McAfee?

The Tosh does sound like a lost cause and it's great that you can get a new laptop for your birthday, just don't waste your money on what the salesman from HN wants you to buy.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
The one I'm currently looking at is an ACER 5740 - HN have it @ $899 but if I pay cash, $798, is it a decent enough wee laptop?
http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.as...osition=search
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
U mart!

Had forgotten about them.
Have you ever tried to return anything faulty to Umart? basically as soon as you walk out of the door they shirk all responsibility of any warranty issues. This is contrary to consumer rights but you try convincing the Umart employee of that.
You get what you pay for, sure Umart are cheap but don't expect too much from them in the way of backup and customer service.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:26 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
You get what you pay for, sure Umart are cheap but don't expect too much from them in the way of backup and customer service.
..and you think HN are going to look after you? C'mon...

I've been Umart fan for years and used them extensively to get parts for my home build HTPC - but I'll concede that they arent for everyone. Having said that HarveyNorman is possibly the WORST place on the planet to buy a computer.

Consider somewhere like http://www.computeralliance.com.au for a half-way house between cheap importers like Umart/MSY and know-nothing sheeple-providers HN.
I bought a laptop from ComputerAlliance and they were ok to deal with when we had a warranty issue.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

[quote=DadAgain;8405732]..and you think HN are going to look after you? C'mon...

No, that is exactly what I was saying, HN will give you bugger all customer service and I'd stay well clear of them.

If buying a laptop I'd stay well clear of Umart as well.

Howabout Dell? if going for extended warranty they are OK to deal with, better of course if you can speak indian but with a bit of patience eventually you get through to them OK :-)
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Have you ever tried to return anything faulty to Umart? basically as soon as you walk out of the door they shirk all responsibility of any warranty issues. This is contrary to consumer rights but you try convincing the Umart employee of that.
I've not had that pleasure, no, but thanks for the heads-up
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Not a laptop expert unfortunately, I will take yours off your hands for a small consideration and fix it though

Hey, I'm only kidding ... sort of ...
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

JB HiFi is a good place to buy a computer.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:27 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Nice selection of DVDs, I'll give them that.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Haha, of course that was a joke wasn't it?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:36 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Nice selection of DVDs, I'll give them that.
MacBook.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I find JB a bit like HN in terms of very high ticket prices - never really felt the urge to negotiate with them either - I'd describe the staff in my local store as 'up themselves'!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:50 am
Mostly Harmless

Having had a squint around it looks like a decent price ... to be honest it depends on what you are going to use it for ... I'm pretty technical and I get by with stuff that is way down the performance scale (an 'ancient' Desktop 1.8Ghz and a rescued Laptop ... 2Ghz ... I think) ... I'm running XP which is less needy that more 'modern' operating systems.

I would imagine most laptops will do a job for an 'everyday user' these days.

Not sure i'd be bothered with an extended warranty, I think they are a rip-off ... my view if it's going to go pop it will do so within the manufacturer's warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.