Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Complete Change in Direction

Complete Change in Direction

Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:08 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future
Question Complete Change in Direction

Hi all,

We’ve recently been giving thought as to what we are going to do if/when we finally get to OZ. Joe is a nurse and I’m a Project Manager (Electrical by trade) and these are the skills we’ve been assessed on (meds and PC’s sent early Jan so sitting with everything crossed now).
We now started thinking that if we’re going to sell everything and move to the other side of the globe (various reasons including lifestyle), then why not change career at the same time and do something completely different. So with that in mind we started looking at businesses for sale to give some idea to what things may cost. We like the idea of working together and working for ourselves but to date have never done either. :scared:
We were thinking along the lines of small motel/hostel or coffee bar or something along those lines.
Has anyone else done anything similar? or is it just not that simple? ie there is some huge pitfall that we’ve not seen yet.

Thanks in advance

J+J

Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complete Change in Direction

Good luck if you try - but the ground is littered with the remains of folk who "would like to dabble in the hospitality industry"!

It's 24-7 hard grind and an amateur approach is a quick way to make a small fortune (out of a big one!).

Remember that the customers won't come to help you make money - they will come if you provide something they really really want, better or cheaper than elsewhere. Basic teach your grandmother to suck eggs stuff, but a lot of people forget it!

Good luck anyway!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Good luck if you try - but the ground is littered with the remains of folk who "would like to dabble in the hospitality industry"!

It's 24-7 hard grind and an amateur approach is a quick way to make a small fortune (out of a big one!).

Remember that the customers won't come to help you make money - they will come if you provide something they really really want, better or cheaper than elsewhere. Basic teach your grandmother to suck eggs stuff, but a lot of people forget it!

Good luck anyway!
What he said !

If you're genuinely unhappy in your careers, no kids, young enough to start again job/career/cash wise then ok.
Personally having spent the last 15 years training, qualifying and getting experience in my job I'm no way going to start again in a new profession and I think anyone who does is mad !
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you listen to them mate - we're in a very similar position, only we have been here for three months (with three kids - 12, 10, 5) - both of us have very similar jobs to that in the UK (nurse and leisure industry) - but are now looking at changing completely. There is no reason that once you have made the decision to come all this way, and all the changes involved in it that you shouldn't go for it.......good luck to you ,
Jaruky
Old Feb 6th 2005, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Done it! Pitfalls - you need a bit of money behind you, hours, pay and holidays are worse. It can be done and it's rewarding as a lifestyle.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 2:30 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi all,

Has anyone else done anything similar? or is it just not that simple? ie there is some huge pitfall that we’ve not seen yet.

Thanks in advance

J+J

Been self employed and employed.

If you are used to regular salary, paid holidays and hours that work for you, stay employed.

Self employment is rewarding but generally the hardest work you will do, a minefield if you employ outside your family (remember they don't have to be loyal, honest or on time as it is not their business), it takes over your life, your phone line and sanity.

Don't feel I am knocking, just get the best free business advice you can when you get there, plan, plan and plan again (but again this does not guarantee success) and only invest what you can afford to lose.

People have done it and are happy. You just have to be very strong, motivated and commited.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:52 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi all,

We’ve recently been giving thought as to what we are going to do if/when we finally get to OZ. Joe is a nurse and I’m a Project Manager (Electrical by trade) and these are the skills we’ve been assessed on (meds and PC’s sent early Jan so sitting with everything crossed now).
We now started thinking that if we’re going to sell everything and move to the other side of the globe (various reasons including lifestyle), then why not change career at the same time and do something completely different. So with that in mind we started looking at businesses for sale to give some idea to what things may cost. We like the idea of working together and working for ourselves but to date have never done either. :scared:
We were thinking along the lines of small motel/hostel or coffee bar or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance

J+J

Exactly waht I did, I was a aircraft cabin interiors buyer in the Uk and hubby did a few different jobs. He is from Australia and we are now living back in his home town Geraldton Wa. We bought a hostel on my validation trip and got back here in November last year, we have now been running the place for 4 months and although long hours they are easy hours, I do about 2 hrs work a day and make more out of it than 8 hrs a day plus 10m hrs stress a day at my old job.

The only thing I'd say you realy need to think about is although the total hours worked a day are much much less than a normal job you have to be on call a lot more than the usual 8 hrs a day, but I see it as every bed I make or telephone cal I answer I am making a decent amount of money Yep I might get inturupted when I am sun bathing or having a beer but who cares if it is puttijng another bunch of money in the till.

Up to you mate but I am thoroughly enjoying runing a hostel, very social but if I want I can also lie on my bed watching a dvd all afternoon aswell
Kala
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Complete Change in Direction

Go for it!
We have been in Oz 18 months now. Our plan was to come out here and buy a B&B but we decided we needed to learn a bit more about the Australian way of life before we jumped into a business. My partner was a chef in the UK (and has also owned a small hotel) and apart from a few weeks as a temp chef when we first arrived, he had a major change of direction, and is now a postie. He has a contract with Australia Post which meant starting our own company. This has been an excellent base for us to build our knowledge about running a business in Oz and all the rules. I, on the other hand have been stuck in an office doing longer hours for a lot less money - most days I feel that I may as well still be in the UK.
We have now decided to bite the bullet and move over to Qld (we are in Perth now) and follow our dream of running a B&B, we have done so much research over the past 18months, and although the right B&B might not turn up immediately (it's highly unlikely) we are willing to wait for our dream. We know it'll be hard work but are going in with our eyes wide open.
Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi all,

Has anyone else done anything similar?
Coffee bar? Check out the number for sale.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:11 am
Just Joined

buggsbunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Complete Change in Direction

Hi,

I think just go for it. You can always go back to your old careers if it doesn't work out. If you dont try it, you'll never know .

I don't know anything about the hotel/b+b business, but I used to work as a Production Controller in the aircraft industry and 2 years ago jacked it all in to become a self-employed kitchen fitter. At the time, my wife was 5 months pregnant and we were between houses living with my in-laws :scared: . Its been a hard slog and has its ups and downs but I would never go back.

I also know quite a few people who changed careers after being made redundant and say they wish they had changed years ago.

Hope this helps .

E
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:57 pm
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Well thanks for all the advice, I think we'll move over there and I'll probably do sparks for a bit till we settle in.
Although having said that I really just want to go and get on with it, but I guess the old saying "Perfect Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance" is quite apt in this case. We know so little about the country let alone running a buisness there, more research and planning required me thinks.

Thanks Again

J