Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pom heaven in Perth?

Pom heaven in Perth?

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all
Default Pom heaven in Perth?

My uncle sent an artical from the West Australian newspaper about the amount of Brits moving to Perth. Most popular place being East Rockingham with 32% of population UK born. Apparently Perth is now the most British city in Aus. Anyone think this is a good or bad thing?

J
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pom heaven in Perth?

Originally Posted by jules
My uncle sent an artical from the West Australian newspaper about the amount of Brits moving to Perth. Most popular place being East Rockingham with 32% of population UK born. Apparently Perth is now the most British city in Aus. Anyone think this is a good or bad thing?

J
I must say it puts me off Perth a bit. I'm sure all the Poms there are nice people and maybe the reality of trying to integrate into australia might be hard but I don't really want to go half way round the world and end up next to loads of people from round the corner!

We're going to oz cos we like the country, the life style AND the people.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I agree with you Cadman!

Where about on the Wirral are you from? I was born in West Kirby
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pako
I agree with you Cadman!

Where about on the Wirral are you from? I was born in West Kirby
I'm actually from Warrington but my wife is from Prenton, we live nr Tranmere Rovers (Devonshire Park)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, some suburbs have lots (seen that article btw, was discussed a bit on here).
Not where I live or work, but I went to Joondalup shopping centre and definetly heard the accents around me

Don't know if it's a good or bad thing, doesn't bother me. And it's not like it's the majority(and even then )

Was surprised to see I think Kalamunda in that list. I think that must be older British people Only one person on this forum lives remotely near there. Most are on the coast, that's for sure.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:29 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by cadman
I must say it puts me off Perth a bit. I'm sure all the Poms there are nice people and maybe the reality of trying to integrate into australia might be hard but I don't really want to go half way round the world and end up next to loads of people from round the corner!

We're going to oz cos we like the country, the life style AND the people.
Plus and minus with both.

Plus if you are new to Australia having fellow expats and friends made from this site can be a great help. There are some smashing people on here, very helpful and supportive.

Minus, some expats can be a pain in the asre, in fact this is said for all humans. We don't click with everyone do we.

The funny thing is we went to expat groups on NSW Central Coast, most are lovely for a drink but not major pals, a couple we really got on with but that would have been the same back in the UK. We became good friends.

A minor few I found a little full of themselves kind of attitude, like "Hey we have made it" and never shut up about what they have here and themselves.

The minor pains in the arse are the ones your Australian friends buddy you up with at their BBQ's are you are both expats and by that you should get on . . . oh how wrong

Personally when we go back want to really intergrate back into "Australian Life" with or without Poms.

M

Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Merlot
Plus and minus with both.

Plus if you are new to Australia having fellow expats and friends made from this site can be a great help. There are some smashing people on here, very helpful and supportive.

Minus, some expats can be a pain in the arse, in fact this is said for all humans. We don't click with everyone do we.

M
Agreed.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

I'm going to Perth because of the amount of "Poms" there.

I lived in Sydney for some time and found the people there resentful and, felt an underlying hatred. I nearly came to blows a few times and that is just not my nature.

I Think Perth people are more used to the British and accept us as their own. This is my impression anyway from my experiences.

I'll tell you if i still think this after living there for a while.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

I agree with Merlot, hoping not to find Little Britain in Perth
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules

J
Poms stick very much together, and its funny because you know how everyone complains of all the immigrants sticking together in the UK and not mixing in, as I have pointed out many poms do just that in OZ. I dont think we have pom suburbs yet in QLD but many including my Mrs hang out with Poms an awful lot.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Poms stick very much together, and its funny because you know how everyone complains of all the immigrants sticking together in the UK and not mixing in, as I have pointed out many poms do just that in OZ. I dont think we have pom suburbs yet in QLD but many including my Mrs hang out with Poms an awful lot.
Perth isn't just full of UK "expats" - people who migrated as adults, I'm forever meeting people with full on Australian accents, who are full on Aussies but tell me that they were born in Dover, or Chichester or wherever in the UK and came over as kids.

Last edited by renth; Feb 4th 2005 at 10:16 pm. Reason: crappy keyboard
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Perth isn't just full of UK "expats" - people who migrated as adults, I'm forever meeting people with full on Australian accents, who are full on Aussies but tell me that they were born in Dover, or Chichester or wherever in the UK and came over as kids.

Errr...doesn't everybody in Australia come from somewhere else originally

I agree with Renth here, just because someone talks with an Aussie accent, doesn't mean they are true blue dinky dye 6th generation Aussie!

Before we came over we wanted to be thrown in amongst the natives, that's how we thought it would be. Well, it isn't like that in reality. There are thousands of Brits/Scots/Welsh over here in Perth and that's absolutely fine by me.

Mixing with other expats has helped us both to create a life here. They are there to support, advise and befriend you because they've been there...done that and understand what you're going through. The Aussies on the other hand despite being a great nation of friendly people, on the whole really don't understand what we've all gone through and are still going through.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:12 pm
wombat42

There are so many Poms over In W.A perhaps they should succeed from OZ and form their own country. Perhaps they could call it " Pomland "

Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:28 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
There are so many Poms over In W.A perhaps they should succeed from OZ and form their own country. Perhaps they could call it " Pomland "

Yes please.... WA on its own makes enormous amounts of money for the rest of the country, so we would be shit loads better off.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:39 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Siren
Yes please.... WA on its own makes enormous amounts of money for the rest of the country, so we would be shit loads better off.
You would have all those hundreds of billions of dollars worth of Oil, gold, Iron Ore and other natural resources all to youselves, you would all be millionaires, Although Johnny Howard would'nt be happy about it

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 4th 2005 at 11:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.