Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, I admit it, I am ignorant!! What the HECK is a corrugated display designer??!!!I assume its the display thats corrugated rather than the designer, but please put me out of my misery!
Thanks Pollyana. I was wondering but decided I might be disappointed
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Thanks Pollyana. I was wondering but decided I might be disappointed
I'll probably be disappointed, but curiosity finally got the better of me......I have this image of someone shaped like a corrugated roof - you know, like in a cartoon....trying to design things......must be too much Baileys!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 4:47 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eintracht
Having often read one of the threads on here I thought about becoming a photographer that specialized in photographing pole dancers !!!! But I'm not that brave !!!
no that's a career change i wouldn't say no to....

I'm in IT too, amongst others, and i've often thought about a career change. Sitting in front of a computer all day doesn't have the same appeal as it once did.

I've thought often about retraining and doing something else. Maybe splashing out a a load of new bikes and starting a motorcycle tour/renting company... then again i also thought about becoming a pilot,.... spaceman...train driver... anything but a programmer.

the way i see it, i need to get there and start earning money. the only way i know how to do that is by doing what i've done for the last 14 years, unfortunately that's working with computers. Once i get settled again i might look at other opportunities.

anyway, for all those in the same boat! GOOD LUCK!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:02 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
no that's a career change i wouldn't say no to....

I'm in IT too, amongst others, and i've often thought about a career change. Sitting in front of a computer all day doesn't have the same appeal as it once did.

I've thought often about retraining and doing something else. Maybe splashing out a a load of new bikes and starting a motorcycle tour/renting company... then again i also thought about becoming a pilot,.... spaceman...train driver... anything but a programmer.

the way i see it, i need to get there and start earning money. the only way i know how to do that is by doing what i've done for the last 14 years, unfortunately that's working with computers. Once i get settled again i might look at other opportunities.

anyway, for all those in the same boat! GOOD LUCK!

So, leigh, the dreams of being a yorkshire pudding - o - gram were shelved then???

Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:31 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
So, leigh, the dreams of being a yorkshire pudding - o - gram were shelved then???

Well i couldn't see anyone paying to look at my pudding. :P
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:23 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I admit it, I am ignorant!! What the HECK is a corrugated display designer??!!!I assume its the display thats corrugated rather than the designer, but please put me out of my misery!
Come on guys!! Put me out of my kmisery. I've been awake all night fretting about this one!!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 10:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana.

Have just done a google search. It's pretty much what it sounds like. Designing corrugated products.

No offence 65 but I can possibly see why you may want to change careers. But I guess its big business and someone has to do it.

Good luck with the new job when you find it.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 10:39 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Pollyana.

Have just done a google search. It's pretty much what it sounds like. Designing corrugated products.

No offence 65 but I can possibly see why you may want to change careers. But I guess its big business and someone has to do it.

Good luck with the new job when you find it.
Just as exciting as we thought then!!! Think I'd want a change too!!
Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I've had a complete change. I used to be an applications engineer for a silicon chip company and worked on the 3G infrastructure and also alot in the networking area as our devices go in routers etc.

After seeing not much was around in brissy I decided to go for something new. I am now a recruitment consultant, working in the engineering/IT area I am familiar with but learning alot of new skills or at least tuning the ones I had from my account management days. What a good decision it was too, its so refreshing. I recommend anyone anyone to give something new a go or at least to be open to the idea. Dont be afraid and my thinking is in a few years you will be as good as you were at your old skills. ok, so I have the same salary I did as a graduate 8 yrs ago, but who cares, I live in Oz, I live with an Aussie chic, its always sunny. Woooo hooooo!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:02 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Does your wealth go with you when you die? Any volunteers to fin out and tell me, cos if it dont, stuff the money, and enjoy your time here.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Smile Re: Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Hi Polly,

Sorry about the delay in replying, lots going on at the moment.

Basically I design temporary displays made from corrugated board, you know the type of thing that sits on the aisle end in Saino's with a couple of weeks promotion. I also produce corrugated packaging too. all very exciting (honest!).

Hope this helps you sleep (I wish it would help me sleep)

Flights booked 6th Dec.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by 65 million
Hi Polly,

Sorry about the delay in replying, lots going on at the moment.

Basically I design temporary displays made from corrugated board, you know the type of thing that sits on the aisle end in Saino's with a couple of weeks promotion. I also produce corrugated packaging too. all very exciting (honest!).

Hope this helps you sleep (I wish it would help me sleep)

Flights booked 6th Dec.
Ooh thanks! Sounds very exciting So you build the stuff that people like my mate, who can't drive trolleys, then demolish.......!

Time you had a career change I think........
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Polly,

I must admit I dont exactly love the job and have only stayed six and a half years because the money was far better than I could get anywhere else (even though my boss is an exact copy of David Brent from "The Office"). I'm hoping to get out of design completely at the grang old age of 34, I'm getting to old for this occupation. :scared:

Time tolearn siomething new.

Here's a question for everyone; Is it easier to change career directions in Aus?

Ooh thanks! Sounds very exciting So you build the stuff that people like my mate, who can't drive trolleys, then demolish.......!

Time you had a career change I think........
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

No experience but it has to be easier. While you live here, life goes on as normal and it is very hard to change direction. When you get there, new life, new job doing anything. Your mind is likely to be more open (excuse the grammer but you know what I mean) to change.

All the best.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:25 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eintracht
Has anybody gone to Aus and just had a complete change of career when they got there ? I've been working in IT for 20 years now and have just had enough. If/when I get my visa I want to go to the Melbourne area and just mow lawns or something for a couple of days a week.
Is this practical or am I dreaming ?

Thanks

Chris
I think it must be something about us bods who work in IT! I too am changing careers when we get to Aus - My hubby & I are going to start doing to craft markets up & down the Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast selling our handmades kiddies toys...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.