Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Has anybody gone to Aus and just had a complete change of career when they got there ? I've been working in IT for 20 years now and have just had enough. If/when I get my visa I want to go to the Melbourne area and just mow lawns or something for a couple of days a week.
Is this practical or am I dreaming ?

Thanks

Chris
Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:45 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Complete Change Of Career In Australia ?

Originally Posted by eintracht
Has anybody gone to Aus and just had a complete change of career when they got there ? I've been working in IT for 20 years now and have just had enough. If/when I get my visa I want to go to the Melbourne area and just mow lawns or something for a couple of days a week.

Thanks

Chris

I am doing just that.

I am a buyer working in Aviation in the UK and the area I am goin to in Australia there is no scope for that at all. I was trying to decide what I could do and a backpacking business came up for sale. MY hubby and I looked into, saw accountants etc and decided to go for it. We take over on the 1st November, FIngers crossed it all works out.

I think if you look into things properly then you should be OK, the main thing you have to try and get your head round is that you are goin to have to work your butt off as you are solely responsible for your income.

Good luck to you
Kala
Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:55 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Thanks

Chris
I too work in IT and will be changing career when i get there
quite looking forward to it actually
Old Sep 12th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

What are you actually planning to do ? I'm struggling to think of anything, but mowing lawns cant be too stressful can it ? I've toyed with the idea of buying a business but it seems to much like hard work which would defeat hte reasons for me going. Plus I know sweet FA about running a business.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 9:22 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

What are you actually planning to do ? I'm struggling to think of anything, but mowing lawns cant be too stressful can it ? I've toyed with the idea of buying a business but it seems to much like hard work which would defeat hte reasons for me going. Plus I know sweet FA about running a business.
Will see when we get there but something nice and easy that i can do without having to challenge myself to much
Old Sep 12th 2004, 9:44 pm
Going stir crazy waiting!

Marie_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Chris
Chris
We are planning on doing exactly the same kind of thing. Myself and my partner are both in IT and have just decided to try something else. Paul is doing an air conditioning course before we leave the UK which will give him a city and guilds certificate. He's already started dreaming about his little empire building up while he's on the golf course and I'm stuck at home doing the books!!!

Marie
Old Sep 12th 2004, 9:46 pm
Going stir crazy waiting!

Marie_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kala
I am doing just that.

I am a buyer working in Aviation in the UK and the area I am goin to in Australia there is no scope for that at all. I was trying to decide what I could do and a backpacking business came up for sale. MY hubby and I looked into, saw accountants etc and decided to go for it. We take over on the 1st November, FIngers crossed it all works out.

I think if you look into things properly then you should be OK, the main thing you have to try and get your head round is that you are goin to have to work your butt off as you are solely responsible for your income.

Good luck to you
Kala
Kala

Good for you, have you ever done anything like this before? What's the backpacking business then?? And where are you going to?

Marie
Old Sep 12th 2004, 10:09 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marie_m
Kala

Good for you, have you ever done anything like this before? What's the backpacking business then?? And where are you going to?

Marie

It is a backpackers hostel in Geraldton about 4-5 hrs north of Perth, Hubby is from the area so we are going to settle there for a bit.

Never done anything like it before, so much to learn but I'm glad about that as it will keep me busy and I wont have too much time to think about the magnatude of moving away and leaving my family.

We have bought the business, all the stuff in the hostel and are goin to lease the building. very exciting but scary too.But like they say you only live once so make the most of it.

Here is the link to the place
http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?HostelID=138

Good luck with everything
Kala
Old Sep 12th 2004, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I'm also in the same boat, as a corrugated display designer moving to the south eastern suburbs, I will need to re-train. I'm hoping to get a "mature apprenticeship" in electronics/air con, that sort of thing.

A franchise called "Jims Mowing" (they may have a website) are the biggest chain of lawn cutters around Melbourne. Ive heard you can actually make a pretty decent living from it.

good luck,
65KK

South eastern suburbs of Melbourne by 12th December.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by kala
It is a backpackers hostel in Geraldton about 4-5 hrs north of Perth, Hubby is from the area so we are going to settle there for a bit.

Never done anything like it before, so much to learn but I'm glad about that as it will keep me busy and I wont have too much time to think about the magnatude of moving away and leaving my family.

We have bought the business, all the stuff in the hostel and are goin to lease the building. very exciting but scary too.But like they say you only live once so make the most of it.

Here is the link to the place
http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?HostelID=138

Good luck with everything
Kala
Old Sep 12th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Yes, u can do it. I had specialized tourism training but here I changed jobs and now I'm a people manager :-) Even cleaned some houses :scared: - good money and not much outlay except for elbow-grease. At $20/h not bad money either, but I needed a bit of mental stimulation after a bit, so off I went...

Originally Posted by 65 million
I'm also in the same boat, as a corrugated display designer moving to the south eastern suburbs, I will need to re-train. I'm hoping to get a "mature apprenticeship" in electronics/air con, that sort of thing.

A franchise called "Jims Mowing" (they may have a website) are the biggest chain of lawn cutters around Melbourne. Ive heard you can actually make a pretty decent living from it.

good luck,
65KK

South eastern suburbs of Melbourne by 12th December.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:10 am
M e M b E r

gordon_flash is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,
I have now had a complete change of career and loving every moment of it. In fact the going has been so good that I even have started recruiting for my own company.

Any intrested persons may have a look at this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254353

Cheers

Gordon
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Tell me more !! I love sport more than life itself but I couldn't do any Sales as I'm not that kind of person and its too stressful for me.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

I would be pretty happy to work in the same profession for the next few years, even get into banking whilst I have some energy left!

My ideal would be to become Police Officer there, but seems to be difficult in the long run, who knows. Wanted to be one in the UK but saw the stress that it caused family members & decided against it.

My previous time in Oz I found myself doing similar job in the UK. Although I was offered a decent paid job working for a funeral parlour & cleaning graveyards up. This was summer & the heat was too much for me all day.
However looking back to some of the people I worked with over there, maybe it would have been a better laugh working with dead people!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 65 million
OK, I admit it, I am ignorant!! What the HECK is a corrugated display designer??!!!I assume its the display thats corrugated rather than the designer, but please put me out of my misery!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Having often read one of the threads on here I thought about becoming a photographer that specialized in photographing pole dancers !!!! But I'm not that brave !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.