Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Commuting to Brisbane - and Hi Dotty!

Commuting to Brisbane - and Hi Dotty!

Old Jan 20th 2004, 12:21 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commuting to Brisbane - and Hi Dotty!

Hi everyone.

I noticed a recent thread started by Carrianne, talking about commuting to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane. Dotty mentioned that I do this every day (Hello Dotty!). This is not quite true, but I thought I could shed some light on it as I someone who has experience of the trip, for anyone contemplating.

I am in the lucky position that although my job is in Brisbane, I can often work from home, and sometimes locally, so some weeks I have only had to travel in as little as 2 days. Most weeks though, it averages 3-4 days.

This journey is a bit of a stinker, it's true, but only because of the time and distance. My solution is one that often worked travelling into London - Drive in part of the way, and take public transport the rest. I drive from Caloundra to Caboolture, (about 40 mins) and pick up an express train to the city. I've got the whole thing down to about an hour and a half. The trains here have taken a bit of flak, but I've found them to be excellent - and on time!! The train fare from Caboolture is $9.90, but obviously you can get season tickets.

I think if I had to do it every day I would get sick of it real quick, but it can be done. Many people do it - you see them roaring down the Bruce Highway every morning. Are we mad to do it? Well I think it is worth it to live on the coast. Having said that if you are thinking of going any further north than where I am, it would start to get bit much. I spoke to a woman the other day who commutes every day from Noosa. Now that really is insane.

I hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of commuting from the Sunshine Coast

Andy
Old Jan 20th 2004, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Commuting to Brisbane - and Hi Dotty!

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Hi everyone.

I noticed a recent thread started by Carrianne, talking about commuting to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane. Dotty mentioned that I do this every day (Hello Dotty!). This is not quite true, but I thought I could shed some light on it as I someone who has experience of the trip, for anyone contemplating.

I am in the lucky position that although my job is in Brisbane, I can often work from home, and sometimes locally, so some weeks I have only had to travel in as little as 2 days. Most weeks though, it averages 3-4 days.

This journey is a bit of a stinker, it's true, but only because of the time and distance. My solution is one that often worked travelling into London - Drive in part of the way, and take public transport the rest. I drive from Caloundra to Caboolture, (about 40 mins) and pick up an express train to the city. I've got the whole thing down to about an hour and a half. The trains here have taken a bit of flak, but I've found them to be excellent - and on time!! The train fare from Caboolture is $9.90, but obviously you can get season tickets.

I think if I had to do it every day I would get sick of it real quick, but it can be done. Many people do it - you see them roaring down the Bruce Highway every morning. Are we mad to do it? Well I think it is worth it to live on the coast. Having said that if you are thinking of going any further north than where I am, it would start to get bit much. I spoke to a woman the other day who commutes every day from Noosa. Now that really is insane.

Andy
Hi Andy

Thanks for that. It is true plenty of people do the commute. Anyway it should help Carrianne.

How did you go in the weather over the last month, pretty tropical or what? Todays a big improvement, mid 20's, if only it would stay this way.....

D
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:48 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

when i was in brisbane last, we had a few meetings in the cbd, so we drove part way in, and then jumped on a bus, its cheap as chips, and has its own lane into the cbd,

very quick and quite fun
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:18 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty, regarding the heat, after reading your many comments about the weather here, I would have to say I've found myself wondering what all the fuss is about. It hasn't been half as bad as I expected. But then again I do love the heat. To my mind, you can always get away from it by diving into Kawana Shopping World for half an hour!

If anything, I am a bit suprised by how rainy and cloudy it's been -is this normal???

Andy

Hi everyone.

Andy
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

[i]
If anything, I am a bit suprised by how rainy and cloudy it's been -is this normal???

Andy
It's not normal from my 4 years experience. We have just come off a drought that for more than 12 months it didn't rain at all in Brisbane, with hardly a cloud in the sky during the same time.

But I love this weather doesn't stop you doing much outside. Went swimming down Broadbeach (GC) Saturaday, poured with rain but as the beach showers are still turned off just had to walk around for a bit to get the salt washed off .

Temp are still 30C so a bit of rain is very refreshing.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Dotty, regarding the heat, after reading your many comments about the weather here, I would have to say I've found myself wondering what all the fuss is about. It hasn't been half as bad as I expected. But then again I do love the heat. To my mind, you can always get away from it by diving into Kawana Shopping World for half an hour!

Andy

Its sub tropical, so we do get a fair bit of of rain. I thought it was about 2000ml a year. Usually quite heavy tho so its not drizzle stuff. Most years have a period of 2/3 weeks of continual rain, often in summer of course. This year tho has seen a severe lack of storms, usually quite frequent storms around now, they are simply the best.

Its good you have not found it hot, having been up to 39 and 41 in the past month with up to 97% humidity you must really love heat:scared: Sounds like you are made for the place.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Andy xx I sent you an email a while back did you get it
Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy
Because you live near the ocean, you won't get many very hot days. Try going to Gympie or Ipswich on days you think are hot. It will be 5C hotter at least. Take the recent hot weather where BRisbane had 35C. In Ipswich it was 42C.