Coming to Dandenong,Victoria in October 2011

Coming to Dandenong,Victoria in October 2011

Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Muttiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to Dandenong,Victoria in October 2011

Dear all,
Few quick questions.
  1. We have 2 kids of age 5 and 7 yrs age.We are told about school term starting in February first week.Before that summer vacations start in mid October and ends just before February.To confirm admissions in school,we need rental agreement in place.To search rental accomodation,we need another 1 month of searching with inspection times,etc.Saying that we are coming in October,so that we have time in hand to do all necessary things.Is this right?
  2. We have to live frugal till we get proper jobs.We wont be having car of our own till we save really something.Is it a better idea to pay high rent and stay near station to give interviews in CBD or take up a cheap apartment bit far away.
  3. Kids will be without school for 4 months after we land.With important things in life to be done on priority basis,it will be difficult managing kids.Is there a way we can engage them in activities such as sports,music,etc before they join school.
  4. We are unsure what to get and what not to.Can we bring gold jewellery for any functional wear?Furniture,imac,cosmetics,etc.We are packing food which is enough for 7 days.Is it correct?
  5. Last one. We are allowed 160 kgs of checked baggage but physically cannot manage to carry 10 suitcases(considering each suitcase is of 15 kgs each),Is ther any way that we dont waste baggae allowance and yet not carry them ourselves till the house.Any ideas?
  6. Have heard that getting broadband connection takes almost a months time.Is it true? If yes,should we opt for 3G stick for laptops and imacs?
  7. Which phone plans are cheap for local mobile nos and international home calls? Any special package one might have heard of for longer call durations outside Australia.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:38 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Dandenong,Victoria in October 2011

Not sure about all your questions but Primary School does not finish in October - it finishes in late December. So your kids would have a good chance to start for a month or so and make some friends before the long summer holiday.

See http://www.vic.gov.au/Victorian-School-Term-Dates.html
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tking
Not sure about all your questions but Primary School does not finish in October - it finishes in late December. So your kids would have a good chance to start for a month or so and make some friends before the long summer holiday.

See http://www.vic.gov.au/Victorian-School-Term-Dates.html
Thanks King for the reply.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muttiah
[*]We are unsure what to get and what not to.Can we bring gold jewellery for any functional wear?Furniture,imac,cosmetics,etc.We are packing food which is enough for 7 days.Is it correct?

You can bring and wear whatever jewellery you like
Are you sure you want to bring 7 days worth of food though? Most of us bring some food from home but not to live on, just as extras. If you are determined to bring it, make sure there is no fresh stuff like meat, fruit, veg, dairy products, and declare all of it when you enter the country!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch a few episodes of Border Security and you'll see why it may not be a good idea to bring food. Even if you declare it, it may be prohibited here and be confiscated. Here's one sample of the show.

Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can bring and wear whatever jewellery you like
Are you sure you want to bring 7 days worth of food though? Most of us bring some food from home but not to live on, just as extras. If you are determined to bring it, make sure there is no fresh stuff like meat, fruit, veg, dairy products, and declare all of it when you enter the country!
Thanks Polly,
I will reconsider my decision about this..
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kim67
Watch a few episodes of Border Security and you'll see why it may not be a good idea to bring food. Even if you declare it, it may be prohibited here and be confiscated. Here's one sample of the show.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TdkqoKKpJFU
Oh,I am so worried about the food stuff to be brought in Oz.Good,I posted here before I actually carried it that long way.
Thanks Kim very much.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,
Few quick questions.
  1. We have 2 kids of age 5 and 7 yrs age.We are told about school term starting in February first week.Before that summer vacations start in mid October and ends just before February.To confirm admissions in school,we need rental agreement in place.To search rental accomodation,we need another 1 month of searching with inspection times,etc.Saying that we are coming in October,so that we have time in hand to do all necessary things.Is this right?
  2. We have to live frugal till we get proper jobs.We wont be having car of our own till we save really something.Is it a better idea to pay high rent and stay near station to give interviews in CBD or take up a cheap apartment bit far away.
    what type jobs are you looking for? what if they arent in the CBD what would you then?
  3. Kids will be without school for 4 months after we land.With important things in life to be done on priority basis,it will be difficult managing kids.Is there a way we can engage them in activities such as sports,music,etc before they join school. children dont finish school until mid Dec for their summer holiday & are only off for 6 weeks.
  4. We are unsure what to get and what not to.Can we bring gold jewellery for any functional wear?Furniture,imac,cosmetics,etc. of course you can bring them. We are packing food which is enough for 7 days.Is it correct Last one. We are allowed 160 kgs of checked baggage but physically cannot manage to carry 10 suitcases(considering each suitcase is of 15 kgs each),Is ther any way that we dont waste baggae allowance and yet not carry them ourselves till the house.Any ideas? why dont you ship your stuff so you dont have to bring that many suitcases with you & just bring 4 suit cases with the most stuff that you need.Have heard that getting broadband connection takes almost a months time.Is it true? no its not true, is that how long it takes in India?[/COLOR][/COLOR]If yes,should we opt for 3G stick for laptops and imacs?
  5. Which phone plans are cheap for local mobile nos and international home calls? Any special package one might have heard of for longer call durations outside Australia.
first be very careful the type food you bring, not everything is allowed in & would get thrown in the bin before you get in

Last edited by chris and farideh; Jul 26th 2011 at 4:34 am.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
first be very careful the type food you bring, not everything is allowed in & would get thrown in the bin before you get in
Hi Chris and Farideh,
It takes a day to get broadband connection in INDIA.
I am not finding any movers and packers in INDIA who deliver door to door.If I do find its damn expensive.
Many have recommended me airmail.That too costs heavily and I have to be present at airport to clear customs when it arrives.I also do need to arrange a transport vehicle to get it to Dandenong from Airport....I want to get rid of all this.
All this sounds weird.....Anyone here asked like this before...?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris and Farideh,
It takes a day to get broadband connection in INDIA.
I am not finding any movers and packers in INDIA who deliver door to door.If I do find its damn expensive.
Many have recommended me airmail.That too costs heavily and I have to be present at airport to clear customs when it arrives.I also do need to arrange a transport vehicle to get it to Dandenong from Airport....I want to get rid of all this.
All this sounds weird.....Anyone here asked like this before...?
if it's get posted it's normal for the post man to deliver it to your house, well that's how they do it in Australia.