Cockroaches...

Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:05 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cockroaches...

...are proving to be the bane of my life in Sydney. I'm assured that I'll 'get used' to them although I'd rather not! So far we've mortein bombed the house, sprayed round all the doors and windows, gaps in the floorboards etc and are using thingys that give out a repellant spray every ten minutes or so...and the b**t**ds are still walking up the walls like they bloody well own the place. Not by the dozen or anything but there were three in the space of an hour the other night and I really can't stand it. Someone at work recommended using baits in the house but it seems like another product to get when there's three on the go already!

Anyone got any other suggestions?

ta,

T
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cockroaches...

If there are no traces of food they get bored and go elsewhere, even a greasy fingerprint will get found by them.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:16 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

The kitchen is always clean although we've had visitors lately and they leave bits of stuff everywhere so I'll need to have a word. The roaches walk through the living room with abandon though, they're not just in the kitchen (you can tell I'm taking this personally!) so I want rid of them there too...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedT
...are proving to be the bane of my life in Sydney. I'm assured that I'll 'get used' to them although I'd rather not! So far we've mortein bombed the house, sprayed round all the doors and windows, gaps in the floorboards etc and are using thingys that give out a repellant spray every ten minutes or so...and the b**t**ds are still walking up the walls like they bloody well own the place. Not by the dozen or anything but there were three in the space of an hour the other night and I really can't stand it. Someone at work recommended using baits in the house but it seems like another product to get when there's three on the go already!

ta,

T
I sympathize with you....I too detest them, we have had several in the past 6 months, we have done the same sprayed, bombed etc, but then when you look at it they are supposedly indestructible as they are the only living thing that 'could' survive a nuclear attack! lol
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:25 am
not sure...

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
I sympathize with you....I too detest them, we have had several in the past 6 months, we have done the same sprayed, bombed etc, but then when you look at it they are supposedly indestructible as they are the only living thing that 'could' survive a nuclear attack! lol
Indeed...I might try and nuclear fallout in the house although i'm not sure the landlord will be happy about it
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:28 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

I would recommend the baits they seemed to work pretty well in our last house.
We now live at the beach and everywhere is sand and not had one cockie in 2 years. Now mice on the other hand.........
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

would take mice over roaches. ugh.

the Raid they sell in a red can works wonders. kills ethem in seconds, and I spray it around the patio door. we've had two come in because my flat mate refuses to shut the door, but they were brown bread by the time they walked over where I had sprayed it and gone a meter! can't reccomend the stuff enough
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder

I believe that Mythbusters dealt with this, and it was only flour lice or similar that could withstand prolonged exposure to ionising radiation.

Anyway, back to topic, I have found that my house Huntsman deals very effectively with the roach problem. I will clean the floor, and the following morning, there is a trail of dessicated roach bodies lying around the house. The Huntsman comes out at night and dispatched the invaders. No need for chemicals etc.

Beyond that, I have found that the sticky traps are pretty good - leave some cheese in the middle, and by morning you will have a trap full of roaches.

S
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I believe that Mythbusters dealt with this, and it was only flour lice or similar that could withstand prolonged exposure to ionising radiation.

Anyway, back to topic, I have found that my house Huntsman deals very effectively with the roach problem. I will clean the floor, and the following morning, there is a trail of dessicated roach bodies lying around the house. The Huntsman comes out at night and dispatched the invaders. No need for chemicals etc.

Beyond that, I have found that the sticky traps are pretty good - leave some cheese in the middle, and by morning you will have a trap full of roaches.

S
sure.. and then you can introduce large snakes to eat the huntsmen

I think this all puts me off moving into a house in aus to be honest - much ''safer''!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saff
sure.. and then you can introduce large snakes to eat the huntsmen

I think this all puts me off moving into a house in aus to be honest - much ''safer''!

But if you kill the Huntsman, who will eat the roaches

S
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

S
the smaller snakes maybe? or pick up some geckos?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:04 am
not sure...

Originally Posted by saff
would take mice over roaches. ugh.

the Raid they sell in a red can works wonders. kills ethem in seconds, and I spray it around the patio door. we've had two come in because my flat mate refuses to shut the door, but they were brown bread by the time they walked over where I had sprayed it and gone a meter! can't reccomend the stuff enough
Awesome, thanks for the rec! This and some baits on the shopping list for the way home from work then...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

S
Exactly; I love my Huntsmen, welcome to stay as long as they keep those roaches at bay. Had a plague of roaches in one house, foul creatures - they used to come up the drainhole in the bathroom floor, 20-30 of them, one after the other
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:11 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Exactly; I love my Huntsmen, welcome to stay as long as they keep those roaches at bay. Had a plague of roaches in one house, foul creatures - they used to come up the drainhole in the bathroom floor, 20-30 of them, one after the other

That's what flamethrowers are for. Though your bathroom would soon resemble the rescue scenes from Aliens!

S
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT

ta,

T
Is it a Sydney problem? I did not know that, I don't think I could have seen more than 5 in 18 months and always by themselves. Are you renting? I think I would move house if there were such a big problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.